Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Road & Track Owner Survey from 1972
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I was reading Road and Track 914 Owner survey from 1972. They surveyed 228 owners (1970-72) and it was interesting to see problem areas that we thought only happen after years of use:

Vapor Lock or fuel pump failure
Speedometer and Fuel Gauge Failure
Glue lost its effectiveness and dash, door panels, and roof headliners peel off.
Clutch cable breaking
Fuel lines breaking
Vague shifting
Starter failure or solenoid would not work while hot
Roof squeaking

Interesting 89% said they would buy another!
EdwardBlume
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. beerchug.gif
ripper911
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. beerchug.gif
JawjaPorsche
Awesome! Thanks for compliment! beerchug.gif
Tom_T
....and rust! sad.gif

But I think that one was coming up in their later follow on +/- 1976 owners survey.

It's also interesting that Porsche had instituted "fixes" for the following complaints that you listed above in the subsequent post-70-72 MYs -

Vapor Lock or fuel pump failure <-- service bulletins to relocate FP to front, below fuel tank & up behind steering rack/cover, & production 914s 75-76 moved up front at factory.

Speedometer and Fuel Gauge Failure <-- 150 mph Speedo from 911/914-6 for 73>, which didn't go bad at the odometer on mine until 150k+

Clutch cable breaking < service bulletins to check transaxle ground strap & clean corrosion if needed (bad grounding goes thru clutch cable instead & fries them)

Vague shifting <-- tweaked the tail shifter for 72 MY, & new 901 side shifter 73>

Starter failure or solenoid would not work while hot <-- multiple starter p/n superceeds, but never really fixed it!

Roof squeaking <-- new & better targa roof seals & design, along with the new windows/regulators for 72>

... and my rust noted from later owners survey above <-- well, they never fixed it on 914s, but all other 76 MY Porsche models were hot dipped in zinc thereafter! dry.gif

Thanx for sharing jawja! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JawjaPorsche
Wow! I did not know: check transaxle ground strap & clean corrosion if needed (bad grounding goes thru clutch cable instead & fries them)

Learned something today! biggrin.gif

I think they got better glue in 1973 because the dash vinyl didn't come off like the earlier models.

Thanks for all the info, Tom! beerchug.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 6 2015, 01:43 PM) *

I think they got better glue in 1973 because the dash vinyl didn't come off like the earlier models.

agree.gif

.... but I wasn't for sure that they did upgrade the adhesives, so didn't put it down.

It's nice to know that they listened to owners sometimes, even back then! smile.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
SKL1
I could have been one of the responding... ouch!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.