Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Alignment Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Getting ready to align the front end and I found a 6mm difference between center of the torsion bar's. Should I even this out before proceeding with the front alignment? TIA, Kent
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 6 2015, 05:50 PM) *
Getting ready to align the front end and I found a 6mm difference between center of the torsion bar's.

wacko.gif

You lost me here. 6mm where and what?
confused24.gif
rick 918-S
Need more info.... confused24.gif
76-914
Duh, sorry slap.gif , the distance from the floor to the center of each torsion bar cover. Thx
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 6 2015, 06:43 PM) *

Duh, sorry slap.gif , the distance from the floor to the center of each torsion bar cover. Thx

Did you measure with ballast in the drivers seat? Which side is higher? The drivers side? Was the car corner balanced at some point?

Also, a 2 wheel alignment is generally crap, you really should get the car corner balanced and all 4 corners aligned.
popcorn[1].gif
76-914
I'm getting that grasshopper feeling. sad.gif No, I did not place any ballast on either side. The right side was the higher side on the suspension. Andy, I don't know if the car has ever been corner balanced but that is on my check list. Anyone local to me do this? I would love to have it done if not cost prohibitive. I agree with the 4 wheel alignment. If I raise or lower either side it will effect the camber, yes?
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 7 2015, 11:46 AM) *
I'm getting that grasshopper feeling. sad.gif No, I did not place any ballast on either side. The right side was the higher side on the suspension. Andy, I don't know if the car has ever been corner balanced but that is on my check list. Anyone local to me do this? I would love to have it done if not cost prohibitive. I agree with the 4 wheel alignment. If I raise or lower either side it will effect the camber, yes?

Usually the drivers side is a bit higher (with nobody in the car) to compensate for the weight of the driver (if corner-balanced correctly).
And yes, changing the height will require an alignment which is why you do the corner balancing first.

- Make sure all 4 tires are properly inflated.
- Fill tank to around 1/2 (usually no more than 3/4).
- Set height on all 4 corners roughly to where you want it to be.
- Corner balance the car with weight equivalent to the driver + gear in the drivers seat.
- Align all 4 corners to desired specs.

smash.gif
76-914
Got it. Thx Andy. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.