Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deal is done! Tools?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

Well, my (first) 914 is on a truck from CA to NY. 1973 2.0 (with McMark's 2056 rebuild).

New car = new tools!

My other classic is a Ford and most of my shop is SAE. So... what do you guys recommend? I already have a metric socket set, along with standard Hex and Torx sockets from doing brake/rotor work on my Cayman.

First thing I need to do when the car gets here is remove the transaxle and ship it to Dr. Evil (PO disclosed the need for a rebuild and we factored that into the price). He already changed the CV bolts to hex, so I don't need that special dealio.

I already put a set of Metric box wrenches in my Amazon cart. What other reasons can you give me to buy another tool box ?

Here's a pic. Hope it's that nice when it gets here wink.gif. Click to view attachment
76-914
Metric feeler gage, long metric sockets, VOM multi meter, timing light, dwell meter or go Pertronix, jack stands, floor dollies, damn good welder; I'll let others pick up the slack here.
Elliot Cannon
AAA card and cell phone for away trips. laugh.gif
iankarr
Ha!

Thanks. Already have the AAA card. Def the best/cheapest addition to the toolbox.

Ironically, the only time I've ever used it is to flatbed my Cayman after hitting a pothole and shredding a tire. No spare on those wink.gif.
Mblizzard
Jack stands! Jack pads to raise the car a bit to get floor jack under.

Electrical connectors. There are always lose wires.

Metric hex t-wrench set.

Metric tap and die set.

Stubby metric wrench set. There are some tight areas in a 914!

Make sure you have a good set of six point sockets and wrenches. Some bolts are damn tight after 40 years.

Seal puller for the rear main seal. Even if it is not leaking good to replace unless it is a recent build.

If it does not have one get a hard start relay and install while trans is out.

If you don't have one get a cheap USB camera to run off laptop. Very valuable for inspecting areas like the tunnel and under the engine tins to see if any debris are blocking air flow.
Dave_Darling
M8 triple square for the CV joint bolts. (Also used on a few other fasteners.)

19mm Allen key or socket for the transmission drain and fill plugs.

Ratcheting offset screwdriver.

Deep offset 13mm or 14mm box-end wrench for the jam nuts on the valve adjusting lugs. (Depends on which rocker arms and adjusters you have.)

Haynes manual.

Scrap wood for miscellaneous purposes.

--DD
jeffdon
A set of gear tech metric ratcheting wrenches. And I say this as the son of a 35 yr snap on dealer.
JeffBowlsby
Here is a list of tools you might consider smile.gif :

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
Hank914
"Stubby metric wrench set. There are some tight areas in a 914!"

agree.gif

Get the small/medium/large size of metrics from 10mm on up to 19mm. Nothing worse than having the right metric wrench that is just too large to fit into the small spaces.

And welcome! Looks like a great car.
KELTY360
A two post assymetric lift.
iankarr
I have a QuickJack 5000 lift, so I can get the car about 20 inches off the ground. Low ceilings in the garage, so can't do a full lift.

How often do you use the stubby wrenches?
Hank914
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jul 6 2015, 10:33 PM) *

I have a QuickJack 5000 lift, so I can get the car about 20 inches off the ground. Low ceilings in the garage, so can't do a full lift.

How often do you use the stubby wrenches?

Whenever I have already crawled under the car with the bigger wrenches. mad.gif

Tightening up the bolts to secure the tranny to the engine. Also to replace the early tail shift engine support bar with the later side shift engine bar when doing a side shift upgrade. Those little brackets that held the bar rubber bushings to the engine were a bear to get access to.
jacksun
a way to search 914world that works for me... don't remember who posted this

originally.

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=00240834...772:ajvfxschcgc

I have it on my desktop..

much easier to search this site..

randal
injunmort
8mm x 1.25 helicoil kit
EdwardBlume
Nice car! and welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.