Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail Light Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SixerJ
While I can't get on with the six resto properly, I can get on with some small jobs so when it comes time to crack on and eventually put everything back together I have either new or restored components ready to fit

I need some thoughts and guidance on restoring the tail lights

I have two complete sets, one off the -6 and one off a panel donor rolling shell

Six buckets are poor and have pulled studs / a few cracks etc. Therefore I will probably use the donors

It might sound crazy but I was thinking about running the rear bucket and lamp reflectors through the dishwasher on a low temp to remove the remaining silvering and give the buckets a good clean prior to other cleaning stages

To make painting reflector and bucket clean easier should I cut the wiring to separate bucket and reflector? Solder / splice and heat shrink to reassemble

Anyone used the chrome spray paint (seems to have mixed reviews) or just paint reflectors bright silver?

Best way / products to clean up the buckets

Gentle warm soapy water only for the lenses presumably

I have some new rubber lense seals etc from 914rubber etc

Six lights had rubber washers fitted to the studs, donor did not. Required or not?

Any other top tips

Thanks

Jon

Donor
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Six
Click to view attachment
markb
Simple Green works well, let them soak for a few days, & rinse well when you're done. I've used the chrome spray paint on the front buckets with good results.
Geezer914
I have used Duplicolor Chrome paint to restore the front and rear lights. piratenanner.gif
Speedmster
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jul 7 2015, 07:59 PM) *

I have used Duplicolor Chrome paint to restore the front and rear lights. piratenanner.gif

I used the same Duplicator Chrome on dads -6 tail lights reflectors. I used mild soap and water with a toothbrush to clean the old flacking chrome off.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
SixerJ
Thanks for the info guys. We don't have simple green, but something similar which will do the job

I'll post some pics as they come together

76-914
sand 'em, clean 'em and shoot 'em. I compared a nice CP one to a silver painted one and could not tell the difference at night. The chrome spray is fine as well. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.