Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Hawk Vintage Race - Road America 7/16-7/19
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
After a few years of wanting to go but not being able to, we decided that this was the year. Papa Smurf was working, we had the time, and I don't know if we will have the chance again in the future...

After spending months negotiating with the event's technical chair, we finally settled on a run group. He originally had me in Group 10, which would be with the current and past World Challenge, IMSA and other pro level cars!!! We settled on Exhibition class (no awards/trophies) in Group 6, which is more my speed considering I've never driven Road America. but I'd have to remove the wing and splitter...

I had just spent a week working on Papa Smurf installing a fuel cell, replacing all the fuel lines, fixing little things here and there, removing wing/splitter and installing the old trunk lid with rear spoiler, etc. Then, a last week while doing final prep, I heard a funny noise in the engine. I thought the noise was spark knock, but how could that be? I went round and round with our dyno engineer, the guy who fixed the crank pulley because our engine builder didn't install it right, and anyone I could think of...then it occurred to me..I've heard this sound before. So I drained the oil and found exactly what I didn't want to see...bearing material on the drain plug!! Yes, for the 5th time in less than 3 years, the engine has spun/destroyed rod bearings... (that's another story for another day)

So THIS PAST WEEKEND, around an Okteenerfest scouting trip, I quickly went about moving everything I could think of over from Papa to Huey..mainly the fuel cell and transponder, and install door bars, window net and fire extinguisher we use on the hillclimbs, installing racing brake pads and flushing the brake fluid, installing a used set of R6's I have and ordering a new set of R7's to be available at the track, etc. Huey is NOT a track race car. Sure, we do hillclimbs and autocrosses, but we never leave 3rd gear, never really go fast, never stand on the brakes, never have to lean on the suspension...but i had already paid for the registration, plane tickets and hotel. If we didn't go, the only thing we would save was the car transportation and crew, so we are going. I dropped off Huey at CRP Racing yesterday (these are the guys that run the Hawk team - Audi R8 that Mike Skeen drives now sponsored by Devilbiss - and who basically run the entire Hawk event)

Here is a video the Hawk Performance team put together from last year's event. We will be paddocked with them and this collection of cars this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeOiVrRTKJ8

I will try to post updates here, but most likely on our NaroEscape Motorsports Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/naroescapemotorsports

I have no idea what to expect out of Huey. He's been great, but like I said, never been full out at high speeds, and from what I see/hear, RA is very fast....

Is anyone going and/or competing in this race? If so, stop by and say high...and hope Huey survives the weekend!!

brant
I was going this year and backed out for the csrg Sonoma event.
Sorry to miss you there
vintage914racer
It's a great event. I've run it the past 15 years however won't be there racing this year. I too fell victim to spun rod bearings and won't have an engine in time. I will be there spectating on Friday and Saturday. I'll try to find you.

If there's still space consider entering the Friday race concours. The parade into town is something everyone should experience once in their car.

Here's a mash up of main car footage from the Hawk last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbu2AiI8-QY
Wdunster
Make sure you post videos of Huey!! driving.gif
naro914
Yes, I am signed up for the Friday Concours downtown.

And I will post as many videos and pictures as possible. I'll have two cameras - GoPro and Smartycam so we'll see what I can do with them...maybe SC forward, GoPro rear facing?

Updates will be easiest on our FB page, so if you want to follow and have FB, please "like" it. I'll post more up here when we get back.

My biggest concern is how Huey will do. Like i said above, he's never really been 'flat out'...and the same guy that built Papa's engine over and over built Huey's...so I AM a bit concerned....
naro914
Brant, sorry I'll miss you. Would love to see your car in person sometime! (oh, and meet you too, but its really all about are cars isn't it? smile.gif )

Car was getting loaded on the hauler today, we fly up on Wednesday.
brant
Kick butt. But more importantly. Have fun
naro914
Here is a quick picture of the group of cars I'm paddocked with in the garages:
Missing from this picture is the Devilbiss/Hawk Audi R8 LMS World Challenge car!!

naro914
If you're on Facebook, I posted a bunch of pictures and an update through Friday track activities. Did the downtown parade and concours last night...that alone was worth the trip!!! Amazing experience seeing tens of thousands of people lining the streets cheering and waving!! Video when we get home and I can post it.
Maltese Falcon
Bob
If you see my bud Julian in his Knoop/ Mann Special say hi aktion035.gif
He and Rick Knoop are in it to win it !
Lister #31
MartyClick to view attachment
naro914
Marty
saw the car, but never had a chance to stop by and say hi...

I created a quick video of the Friday night parade and Concours. This alone makes this event worth going to....Check it out!!

You can watch it in HD directly on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Zv4PePnO0
SKL1
Best track in the US! Great weekend, but we're headed up this coming weekend for the Cat Nationals- my son is running his FE formula car...

Click to view attachment
VZ935
Road America is my Favorite track in N America. Hope you had a great time there .

Once upon a time in my twin

IPB Image

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 7 2015, 07:07 AM) *

After a few years of wanting to go but not being able to, we decided that this was the year. Papa Smurf was working, we had the time, and I don't know if we will have the chance again in the future...

After spending months negotiating with the event's technical chair, we finally settled on a run group. He originally had me in Group 10, which would be with the current and past World Challenge, IMSA and other pro level cars!!! We settled on Exhibition class (no awards/trophies) in Group 6, which is more my speed considering I've never driven Road America. but I'd have to remove the wing and splitter...

I had just spent a week working on Papa Smurf installing a fuel cell, replacing all the fuel lines, fixing little things here and there, removing wing/splitter and installing the old trunk lid with rear spoiler, etc. Then, a last week while doing final prep, I heard a funny noise in the engine. I thought the noise was spark knock, but how could that be? I went round and round with our dyno engineer, the guy who fixed the crank pulley because our engine builder didn't install it right, and anyone I could think of...then it occurred to me..I've heard this sound before. So I drained the oil and found exactly what I didn't want to see...bearing material on the drain plug!! Yes, for the 5th time in less than 3 years, the engine has spun/destroyed rod bearings... (that's another story for another day)

So THIS PAST WEEKEND, around an Okteenerfest scouting trip, I quickly went about moving everything I could think of over from Papa to Huey..mainly the fuel cell and transponder, and install door bars, window net and fire extinguisher we use on the hillclimbs, installing racing brake pads and flushing the brake fluid, installing a used set of R6's I have and ordering a new set of R7's to be available at the track, etc. Huey is NOT a track race car. Sure, we do hillclimbs and autocrosses, but we never leave 3rd gear, never really go fast, never stand on the brakes, never have to lean on the suspension...but i had already paid for the registration, plane tickets and hotel. If we didn't go, the only thing we would save was the car transportation and crew, so we are going. I dropped off Huey at CRP Racing yesterday (these are the guys that run the Hawk team - Audi R8 that Mike Skeen drives now sponsored by Devilbiss - and who basically run the entire Hawk event)

Here is a video the Hawk Performance team put together from last year's event. We will be paddocked with them and this collection of cars this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeOiVrRTKJ8

I will try to post updates here, but most likely on our NaroEscape Motorsports Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/naroescapemotorsports

I have no idea what to expect out of Huey. He's been great, but like I said, never been full out at high speeds, and from what I see/hear, RA is very fast....

Is anyone going and/or competing in this race? If so, stop by and say high...and hope Huey survives the weekend!!

rick 918-S
WTG!! first.gif
Yahmann
Wow, I am sorry I didn't meet you. In was in the same garage a few cars down from you. I was driving the white Ford GT40 Mark 4 #9.
Yahmann
This car.
naro914
Wow! I watched that car go out each time..VERY nice!!
Love the license plate!!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
naro914
And here's a video of a couple laps from the Sunday Feature race. Little Huey just doesn't have the power to keep up with the big boys...

Watch in HD on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3qTwlTXJKg
Yahmann
I just get to drive the GT40 - not my car. The car is worth $5.5mm. We won the race on Saturday and on Sunday went from 4th to 2nd by turn one and the diff broke going into the kink at 130mph. We we doing about 182mph on the straight.

I looked at all the 914's that were there and all were very nice. My current 1974 2.0 is lots of fun. I would have really enjoyed meeting you and talking about 914's.

I've been to RA many times going back to 1979 when I drove for Mazda and Racing Beat on thru the GTP years when I drove for the GM (Pontiac) in GTPL and full size GTP cars. I was lucky enough to win the Road America 500 3 or 4 times (can't remember - 3 - I think) as well as 19 IMSA GT races.

Next year I'll be sure we meet. My next race back east (I live in CA) is the Daytona Classic in November in the GT40 - the week before I'll be in Austin at the COTA SVRA race in a Ginetta G4.
brant
Did the ginetta run Cota last year?
I looked it over at some race.

Beautiful. And wow they are fast.
puts so many a bigger car and definitely my teener to shame.
naro914
QUOTE(Yahmann @ Jul 21 2015, 09:40 PM) *

I just get to drive the GT40 - not my car. The car is worth $5.5mm. We won the race on Saturday and on Sunday went from 4th to 2nd by turn one and the diff broke going into the kink at 130mph. We we doing about 182mph on the straight.

I looked at all the 914's that were there and all were very nice. My current 1974 2.0 is lots of fun. I would have really enjoyed meeting you and talking about 914's.

I've been to RA many times going back to 1979 when I drove for Mazda and Racing Beat on thru the GTP years when I drove for the GM (Pontiac) in GTPL and full size GTP cars. I was lucky enough to win the Road America 500 3 or 4 times (can't remember - 3 - I think) as well as 19 IMSA GT races.

Next year I'll be sure we meet. My next race back east (I live in CA) is the Daytona Classic in November in the GT40 - the week before I'll be in Austin at the COTA SVRA race in a Ginetta G4.

Holy cow, 130 in the kink!! Huey topped out at 125 on the straights!!

That's an awfully impressive resume. Would have loved to meet you and chat a bit. As you saw, I was with the Hawk guys as in Hawk that wrote the big check to have the race named after them. The CEO was there driving the DeVilbiss Audi, his '57 vette, 944 Cup, and GTO...he certainly got lots of track time!
stownsen914
Sounds like a great event. I've not driven RA before and would love to try it. My 911 is vintage eligible - I should take it up there one year to an event like this!
Yahmann
We have never made the race at COTA as there is a race at Coronado a few weeks before and we 2 years in a row we break something and not enough time to fix it. The Ginetta is an amazing car, there is a lot of in-car video on YouTube - search "ginetta coronado". We took the Ginetta to the Kohler Race (same as Hawk) in 2008 and it turned 2:31 laps. The is a video of it racing a 914 on YouTube, I don't own it either. The car weighs 1150 with me in it and the engine is 1700cc 8V twincam Lotus Ford. Very special motor - makes about 253HP at the crank.

If you are at COTA, I'd love to meet you. Do you work for Hawk. I saw all the cars the guy had. The Hawk guys were very helpful as we were having a brake problem with the GT40 and they gave us some good advice and some different pads that helped a lot. We go thru the Kink about 120mph - have to brake slightly from 130. Maybe someone younger (I'm 71) and braver could go thru flat, but not me in such an expensive car.

I looked your car over pretty well as we were at the track until 7pm or 8pm. It is really well done and very nice....I am sure you are very proud of it and have every reason to be.

naro914
QUOTE(Yahmann @ Jul 30 2015, 09:29 PM) *

If you are at COTA, I'd love to meet you. Do you work for Hawk. I saw all the cars the guy had. The Hawk guys were very helpful as we were having a brake problem with the GT40 and they gave us some good advice and some different pads that helped a lot. We go thru the Kink about 120mph - have to brake slightly from 130. Maybe someone younger (I'm 71) and braver could go thru flat, but not me in such an expensive car.

I looked your car over pretty well as we were at the track until 7pm or 8pm. It is really well done and very nice....I am sure you are very proud of it and have every reason to be.

I assume you're asking me? No, I do not work for Hawk. Dave the CEO of Hawk's parent company Carlisle is a good friend and he's been urging me to come to this for years. Had planned to be there with our race car, but found metal in the oil (5th time in 3 years!!) 2 weeks before the event, so had to scramble and get this car ready. Yes, the Hawk guys are great, good bunch of guys.

thanks about the comments on our car. In reality, its a nice car but not great at anything...it's an OK street car, but not very comfortable... its an OK autocross car, but not great...it's an OK hillclimb car, but not great either. And it's horrible as a track/race car (heck...it has carpeting and sound deadening!!). The very stock 3.2 engine is a great driving engine, but not a good race engine when up against much bigger competition....and the suspension is bone stock except for stiffer torsion bars and springs. It was built for Targa Newfoundland back in 2006 with a 2.0/6 engine which was very good for the class we were in. But after wrecking it in 2007, we built it a bit more street and installed the always-reliable 3.2. Fun car, just does not have a solid place in anything... Our race car would have been an absolute blast there. That was my first time driving RA...

Won't be at COTA, probably done with track for the rest of the year. Gotta figure out what to do with the race car engine...that's been a very sore subject in our household... headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.