Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Pressure Sending Hose Extension Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mhenderson57
I'm looking for a braided stainless steel hose extension to install a oil pressure sending unit on my 2.0 liter engine. I would appreciate any advice on this purchase.
Thanks,
Matt
ChrisFoley
I have several on the shelf.
stugray
I used a 10mmX1.0 to npt adapter and a grease gun hose extension from FLAPS but many just thread it right in to the case without the adapter.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 8 2015, 09:06 AM) *

I used a 10mmX1.0 to npt adapter and a grease gun hose extension from FLAPS but many just thread it right in to the case without the adapter.

+1, although the grease gun hose is a little stiffer than I would have liked
stugray
mine:

IPB Image
Mark Henry
BTW if you use the grease gun hose you have to ground the sender unit.
ChrisFoley
IMO grease gun hoses don't last long in service.
pete000
The trick is how to install it with the engine in the car. I am still trying to figure out how to get a wrench down in there.

Anyone have any pictures of tools they have made or modified to tighten the hose fitting?
Harpo
I purchased everything from JEgs this is an Earls pre assembled AN-4 line. The first time I installed the grease gun line I used a 7/16 crows foot tool. When I install this new line I will only need a socket to install the 1/8 to AN-4 adapter

Click to view attachment
pete000
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jul 8 2015, 03:13 PM) *

I used a 7/16 crows foot tool.

Ah, I will give this a try ! cheer.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 8 2015, 04:14 PM) *

The trick is how to install it with the engine in the car. I am still trying to figure out how to get a wrench down in there.

Anyone have any pictures of tools they have made or modified to tighten the hose fitting?

Yeah, I did mine with the engine out of the car. Doing it with the engine in the car would seem to be a bit of a challenge. But I don't think you want to torque it too much. As Harpo suggested, I think a crows feet socket would be the best bet.

I got mine at AA (I know, I know hide.gif ). It wasn't a great value and I wish I had known Racer Chris had them. I would have gladly bought it from him instead.
dangerranger01

I purchased everything from JEgs this is an Earls pre assembled AN-4 line. The first time I installed the grease gun line I used a 7/16 crows foot tool. When I install this new line I will only need a socket to install the 1/8 to AN-4 adapter

Click to view attachment

What is that aluminum colored block in the center for? And is the stock thread 1/8npt?

Do you all run the gauge full time?
stugray
If you use the adapter like in my pic above (brass piece), you can thread that in with a socket.
Then you can reach the hose fitting with an open end.
mr914
If you have a Parker store nearby

It's Parker 919 hose. -4AN one side 1/4"FPT the other and a 1/4MPT to -4 male adaptor. 8"hose, or how long you like and they crimp it right there.

Had on made at Christmas time in Rochester and the whole thing ran less than $20

Hose is tough stuff, rated for like 475F

stugray
QUOTE(mr914 @ Jul 8 2015, 05:17 PM) *

If you have a Parker store nearby

It's Parker 919 hose. -4AN one side 1/4"FPT the other and a 1/4MPT to -4 male adaptor. 8"hose, or how long you like and they crimp it right there.

Had on made at Christmas time in Rochester and the whole thing ran less than $20

Hose is tough stuff, rated for like 475F

The thread in the case is very close to 1/8" NPT and a 1/8" NPT WILL thread in.
However there is a huge debate about what the thread actually is.

I am of the belief that it is 10mm x 1.0.
The 10mm x 1.0 to 1/8" NPT fit perfectly and then the 1/8 Grease hose threaded into that more than 3 threads.
Mike Bellis
The thread pitch (thread spacing really) is the same but the 1/8"NPT is a tapered thread, the 10mm is not tapered.

The 1/8" NPT will thread in and work but is not correct for the metric thread. I do not know of anyone that had a leak or thread failure using the NPT thread.
Jake Raby
All you need is the hose from a paintball gun. Its rated to 3,000 PSI and is a braided hose. They ground the sensor, too.

I have had one in service for a decade on my own car. I think it cost 6 bucks last time I bought one.
stugray
From the other thread:

QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Apr 25 2013, 01:29 PM) *

This is what I used ... Paintball hose

$2.75 Your price may vary.

http://www.discountpaintball.com/Stainless...nch_p_5726.html

Click to view attachment
Dtjaden
agree.gif
This is also what I am using.
Valy
This will set you up with the adapter from 10mm to NPT, hose and gauge. $25
http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-oil-pr...-kit-98949.html
Harpo
The aluminum block is actually "C" channel that will hold the "T" fitting down to the engine. My intent is to copy Stugrey's design. Yes I intend to run with the gauge full time.

QUOTE(dangerranger01 @ Jul 8 2015, 03:02 PM) *

Click to view attachment

What is that aluminum colored block in the center for? And is the stock thread 1/8npt?

Do you all run the gauge full time?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.