Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Areas to black out after repaint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mr914
Does anyone know of a thread or has a listing of the areas of the body that should be painted black after a repaint.

My car is L80E (Light Ivory) and AM getting tired of seeing white peeking thru after putting trim on.

So far, I've identified...

Windshield base area
Front part of targa bar between gasket strip and pinch weld
Mounting area for targa latches to the end of the targa bar (for sail panel vynil cars)

Where else?

jcd914
Under the engine grills?

Tom_T
Cars from the factory didn't have any of those areas blacked out AFAIK. Pat Garvey the O&H Forum Mod may know otherwise, if you want to PM him. He popped up again just a couple of days ago!

Those areas where you mention are some of the only places where I can still see the original L80E on mine from the factory, since I bought it from the OO in 75 with it already color changed to Sahara Beige then Gold & the did 2 more repaints myself in 76 & 80! biggrin.gif

The interior did have some black vinyl just below the front of the seats (kit available from AA & probably others).

Also, the F & R valances & the L & R Rocker Panels themselves (not behind them) were painted satin black over a heavy orange peel or light pebbly texture, usually achieved in restos today with a blast Wurth Underbody Shutz.

There are reccos on these recreations in the O&H Forums, & Pat Garvey has the technique for the valances/rockers in one of those (or PM him).

Also, the blacked out wheel wells & underbody coating were a dealer option add-on which many cars had, but the factory actually painted the body color over a textured undercoating like the Wurth Shutz on the rockers/valances as their OE finish in those areas.

Some folks say theirs had flat black behind the foglight grills from the factory, but I've gone thru the 4 repaints on mine & then there is only L80E - no black. So that may have varied with some cars, or may have been done by dealers &/or POs - after all, they're 40 years old & lots happened in that time.

The other areas in black-out would be up to your own personal tastes, but not original.

Good Luck with the Resto! It'll be nice to see another L80E on the road all purdy!

Mine is still a ways off. sad.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
cn2800
I've got a completely disassembled light ivory car in the shop. I'll try to get some photos this afternoon.
mr914
Photos would be great.

As far as the vinyl goes. It seems that my 6 had some additional pieces glued in place.

1 Back of door sill between carpet and back pad
2 Air Vent area under the back glass. Where on later cars the retractable seat belt goes.
3 Vinyl on the longitudinal on the drivers side behind where the handbrake mounts.

Vinyl matches what was on the crossmember.

As you say, 40+ years of previous owners.... Who Knows... idea.gif But research will show.
McMark
The area where the defrost vents come through.
mr914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 8 2015, 04:01 PM) *

The area where the defrost vents come through.

That could be tough to do once the dash is on....
SirAndy
Under the engine grille side pieces
Front shock towers (not paint but black goo)
Behind fog lights (if you have them)
Parts of the dash subframe and front firewall behind the dash

I'm sure there was more, but that's all i can think of right now ...
smile.gif
Garland
Here is pictures of 1970 in original white paint.
I took these for reference a while back.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

76-914
agree.gif Yep, Andy pointed that out to me a few years ago...........after I had it back together. headbang.gif L80E wub.gif My white one can go 3 weeks w/o washing it. biggrin.gif The black one needs to be washed weekly. sad.gif What color interior?
mr914
Black interior
cn2800
Here are the photos I took this afternoon. My car (1973 1.7) also does not have the blackout paint anywhere on the targa-adjacent areas are that you mentioned. One thing no one has pointed out is the paint on the upper securing tabs for the engine compartment sound deadening/heat pad:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
cn2800
...continued:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I hope these are helpful. Let me know if you need any clearer or more specific photos.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.