Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is a 914 a Porsche?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larmo63
You know, the more I play with 914s, the more I realize that the 914 is a Porsche through and through with a few VW parts included. I've only owned my 914 for a little over a year, but the engineering of these cars (for the most part) is all Porsche. The next time anyone tries to tell you your car is a VW remind them of the very first Porsche: 356/1

(I just got done reading the article on 356/1 in Excellence, and the car was a mid-engined, VW powered and mostly VW derived car.)

Does this look familiar?
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry

Until the mid 70's the 911 had many VW beetle parts scattered throughout them.
911 intermediate shaft bearings are the exact same dimensions as T1 and T4 cam bearings, just the oil hole is drilled differently.
Tom_T
And the production 356s were even more VW based, with the rear engine configuration.

Also - Porsche Racing Dept's Mezger of 917 fame tweaked the VW 1.7L into the 2.0 using some 917 tricks of the trade - when VW said it couldn't be done, & the most it could do was 1.8, as found in the 74-75 914-1.8 & VW 411's!

Of course VW was happy to use Porsche's 2.0 in their later 412s & Buses!

So our 914-2.0 have a little Porsche Racing & 917 DNA sprinkled in there too! piratenanner.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris914n6
Same engineers, different cost inputs, different brand. It has 911 design elements but it is definitely a VW product.

If you count the stamps on a -4, VW out numbers Porsche by a wide margin.
jim_hoyland
My take has been that the 914 is a Porsche in design and engineering terms; however, it's a Volkswagon in marketing terms. And the NARP comments reflect the Volkswagen influence in the relationship.....$ 02
EdwardBlume
Whatever it is, I like it!
itchybro
Here's some interesting "historic" stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmG9LwzyS2A
stugray
I must be a glutton for punishment:

I bought a BRZ....."Is it a Subaru or a toyota???"

Anyone that tells you that a 914 is not a porsche because it does not have a "Porsche" engine it tell them:

"Oh, well I guess based on that logic, THIS isnt a porsche either:"

IPB Image

See what they think of that!
mbseto
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 9 2015, 02:08 PM) *

I've only owned my 914 for a little over a year, but the engineering of these cars (for the most part) is all Porsche.

I'm in the same boat. Studied a number of roadsters before jumping on a 914 last year and the more I work on it, the more I see it is an engineer's car. Happy with my decision, can't wait to have it sorted and drive the heck out of it.
72wrxporsche914
Funny to me that the first Porsche was mid engine . If you read the article the only reason Porsche went with rear engine was because of the ability to use the vw bug floor pan and the availability to use a back seat . If it was for that Porsche would have a mid engine manufacturer and that's it .
JFJ914
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 9 2015, 03:21 PM) *

I must be a glutton for punishment:

I bought a BRZ....."Is it a Subaru or a toyota???"

Anyone that tells you that a 914 is not a porsche because it does not have a "Porsche" engine it tell them:

"Oh, well I guess based on that logic, THIS isnt a porsche either:"

IPB Image

See what they think of that!

That is a Porsche, it has the Fuhrman designed Typ 547 4 Cam engine.
KELTY360
This is such a tired old topic. Let's discuss whether a 356 is a real Porsche. happy11.gif
jor
When driving a 356, I've had people ask me what type of VW I'm in. Never had that experience in a 914 ....
wes
I really don't care what its called, I just like the way
I feel behind the wheel in the twisty's!
A&P Mech
I have read that Ferdinand Porsche designed the VW bug. If that is truly the case would that not make the VW bug a Porsche and Ferdinand the father of VW? It seems to me that the early cars are of the same blood line.
Porschef
QUOTE(jor @ Jul 9 2015, 07:42 PM) *

When driving a 356, I've had people ask me what type of VW I'm in. Never had that experience in a 914 ....

That's because they're more likely to ask what type of Fiat is that...

It is the most fun car I've ever owned, regardless of it's pedigree/heritage blahblah yadayada

Give it 5 more years when a decently clean T4 is worth 30k. That won't change the appreciation factor of those who've known these cars for a long time, unfortunately I can't count myself among them. I got a late start... blink.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Jul 9 2015, 08:27 PM) *

I have read that Ferdinand Porsche designed the VW bug. If that is truly the case would that not make the VW bug a Porsche and Ferdinand the father of VW? It seems to me that the early cars are of the same blood line.

Yes and the original VW beetle prototypes were called the Porsche Type 60.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(jor @ Jul 9 2015, 03:42 PM) *

Next time that happens, tell them it's one that you accidentally left in the dryer.

They sure feel like a shrink wrapped VW
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 9 2015, 11:08 AM) *

You know, the more I play with 914s, the more I realize that the 914 is a Porsche through and through with a few VW parts included. I've only owned my 914 for a little over a year, but the engineering of these cars (for the most part) is all Porsche. The next time anyone tries to tell you your car is a VW remind them of the very first Porsche: 356/1

(I just got done reading the article on 356/1 in Excellence, and the car was a mid-engined, VW powered and mostly VW derived car.)

Does this look familiar?
Click to view attachment

My 914 is a Porsche. Yours probably isn't. poke.gif av-943.gif
Hank914
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 9 2015, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(jor @ Jul 9 2015, 07:42 PM) *

That's because they're more likely to ask what type of Fiat is that...

Yes, my car is a Fiat!
Fiats were made in Russia (Lada)
And in Poland (Polski Fiat)
And in Germany (X1/914)
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(wes @ Jul 9 2015, 05:10 PM) *

I really don't care what its called, I just like the way
I feel behind the wheel in the twisty's!

agree.gif agree.gif

Your butt will tell you if its a porsche or not.
Cuda911
A Porsche???? I thought it was a Fiat. Crap.
eyesright
I drove a '69 VW in college for 3 years/45k miles and I hoped someday to have a 914.

Now I have a "finished" 914 project and 2 more on jack stands, so the last 10 years I've been living my college day's ambitions.

Then last summer I picked up a '70 Bug and now have it driving. Its been a long year in process and a long 40 years since I last drove one. These things are cute and fun to drive and easy to work on, dependable and cheap, but now I realize how BAD they really were!!!

914's have lots of parts stamped VW but there is NO Volkswagon in them. Rack and pinion steering, CG, strut suspension and lots of other things took the "farfignugen" prize long ago that VW only had in their commercials.

I really don't understand the "Its really a VW" thing that the press and some Porsche people carry on and on.

And I DON'T understand the 356 people! I'd much rather have a Karmann Ghia! Same car, better looking! But that's another thread.

Click to view attachment
Alphaogre
I would say without working with VW and the notoriety from VW's that Ferry Porsche designed, there would be no Porsche. Without support and piggy backing on VW production, Porsche would not have been able to start. Definitely with out VW production support, Porsche would have struggled to expand beyond the 356. Yes, they made the 550's and early 356's/speedsters, but not at a profitable level...and they definitely would not have gotten the distribution support for any of the cars to be over here in the states with out VW...So the further back you go, the more VW elements or aspects you will see.

What I tell people is the original concept for Porsche as a company, from Ferry Porsche, was a cost effective car that the every day man can buy, to race on Sunday, and drive to work on Monday. This is why the 356 looks like a customized beetle. The early 911's fell with in this concept as well...affordable but could also be raced.

I think the paradigm change in the 80s with the technology entering the cars, and the Miami Vice cocaine lifestyle. Then every company became about flash, Porsche started making "super cars" and never really came back (until the Caymen/Boxter somewhat)...By then the 911 was considered a "premium sports car", and the brand a premium brand. With the Porsche brand perception today, some people find it hard to see how the 914 fits within the line up.

When someone says a 914 is not a Porsche, then I let them know that they don't know what Porsche is really about, and why it exists...

My $.02 from a fairly young Porsche enthusiasts looking back...
Larmo63
agree.gif

And, if not for the 914 selling 120,000+ units, Porsche may have not been able to continue at all.
ripper911
The 914 is more of a Porsche than most of what they're selling nowadays. driving.gif
oldschool
My Pink slip say PORSCHE laugh.gif
Johny Blackstain
The dictionary as I see it-

Porsche (def): mid engine, air cooled.
creamsicle914.jpg
Big Len
It's a Porsche and I have proof-

When driving, all the Porsches drivers wave hello......the VW guys never do.
Sedonut
It's still fun!
raynekat
When I buy parts for my 914, the invoices sure look like Porsche expensive! wink.gif

My car's getting a 2.4 MFI engine soon, so that insures that it will at least be more Porsche-like.

914's are Porsches and have always been one....regardless what the naysayers say....
thelogo
Duh
Volks waggen in euorpe ah

And porshe ahh
In America

But as I understand it

70,71 ,72 /6 , Porsche build quality

914/4 's not Porsche build quality

Mines a 73 1.7 feels solid as a rock but
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.