Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Steering wheel.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
daytona
Hi guys,
I need some advise on what to do/how far to go with my steering wheel. I have a 914-6 leather steering wheel that I am having re-done.

1st question: I want to repaint the spokes. Anyone know what is the correct color? Rustolium or Wurth paint code?

2nd question: I am thinking of having the leather re-done but adding some additional padding as Porsche did for the RS steering wheels that has the same part number. Is this a good idea or should I have it recovered in the standard thickness?

3rd. I considered having the stitching done in a different color just to add some subtle color to the interior. Thoughts?

All help and opinions are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill.
mepstein
black satin trim paint for the spokes. A pro painter can lay it down over primer and make it look good. should be under &50 to strip and paint.

Dallas custom sterring wheel to do the wrap. Dont use agla.

Dallas can do a thick wrap for about $50 more. They do a great job with quick turn around.

black leather, black thread - never goes out of style.
daytona
Hi mepstein,
Sent you a PM.
Bill.
Mueller
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 10 2015, 06:36 AM) *

black satin trim paint for the spokes. A pro painter can lay it down over primer and make it look good. should be under &50 to strip and paint.

Dallas can do a thick wrap for about $50 more. They do a great job with quick turn around.

Can you expand on this comment? I too am looking at restoring a stock 914 wheel and am looking at options.

thanks

mepstein
Some of the wheels I had painted
daytona
mepstein,
Are you hoarding steering wheels? I count 15 of them hanging plus two horn butterflies.
Did you remove the center rubber pad from the horn assemblies to have them painted? I have been trying to remove the rubber pad but am afraid to brake it.
Bill.
mepstein
QUOTE(daytona @ Jul 12 2015, 06:47 PM) *

mepstein,
Are you hoarding steering wheels? I count 15 of them hanging plus two horn butterflies.
Did you remove the center rubber pad from the horn assemblies to have them painted? I have been trying to remove the rubber pad but am afraid to brake it.
Bill.

There were about 30 of them that day.
I remove the foam rubber on the horn pad by pushing it from the back with my thumbs and then working around the edges. Glass bead blast then etch prime, prime, and paint.
Some are glued on tight, some fall right out.

Rustolium satin is a decent diy substitute.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 10 2015, 07:36 AM) *

As you know I've been OOT for about 15 months. Trying to get reinterested.
Why is Alan Gunn a bad boy these days? Used them for "other" Porsche stuff 15 years ago and they were great. What happened?
P
mepstein
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 22 2015, 08:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 10 2015, 07:36 AM) *

As you know I've been OOT for about 15 months. Trying to get reinterested.
Why is Alan Gunn a bad boy these days? Used them for "other" Porsche stuff 15 years ago and they were great. What happened?
P

Very iffy rep and if I'm going to reccomend it will be someone who I've had a 1st class experience. Dallas custom fits that description
Cairo94507
Dallas Customs should be getting my wheel real soon. Scotty blasted and painted it. Dallas will double wrap the rim and single wrap the spoke parts, black with black stitching. Should look prefect and feel great when driving.
ConeDodger
An AGLA experience:

A few years back, I called AGLA when I wanted to have my steering wheel leather wrapped. I did the restoration of the spokes myself and it was great with the Rustoleum Satin Black previously mentioned. I was quoted a decent price and sent my wheel to AGLA. After about 8 months, I called and got the big guy his self on the phone. He said my wheel was in the queue and that it shouldn't be long now. Shop speak for call us in another 8 months. Then, he added, that the guy who quoted me must have been on crack because the wheel was going to cost twice that. Not much I could do. He had my wheel... mad.gif
mepstein

Dallas has always turned mine around in a week and charge the quoted price. I have no reason to go anywhere else.
ConeDodger
I didn't know about Dallas. AGLA was the only advertiser in the back of Excellence... huh.gif
SKL1
Good experience with Dallas as well. They redid the wheel on our F-150, thicker with alcantara. Pretty nice for a truck smile.gif
Cairo94507
Dallas Customs did the wheel on my Six -
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.