Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Um.....is this normal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bagpype
Cant be. I found this hole someone apparently cut on top of the transmission. I havent started or driven it yet. Is this hole detrimental? Do I need to seal it? This is the passenger side. For some reason the picture got turned to the left.Click to view attachment
McMark
Factory.

Stock.
McMark
Pictures here
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97216
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Bagpype @ Jul 10 2015, 01:14 PM) *

Cant be. I found this hole someone apparently cut on top of the transmission. I havent started or driven it yet. Is this hole detrimental? Do I need to seal it? This is the passenger side. For some reason the picture got turned to the left.Click to view attachment

It's not going to hurt anything...just vents air out from behind the clutch area...drive it like you stole it....
EdwardBlume
Your transmission is clean and holy!
Larmo63
You time the engine through that hole.

Duh.
Bagpype
Im highly mechanically inclined and this is my first vintage, air cooled Porsche. Im glad you guys are knowledgeable and patient people. Thanks for all the help and the future idiotic questions youre likely to have to help me with. Thanks!!
stugray
You time the engine through that hole.

I believe he is yanking your chain. You dont time the engine through there.
However there IS another hole where you can see the TDC mark on the flywheel just above that hole where the case meets the engine case (at 12 oclock)

I believe that it's purpose is for a clutch inspection or measurement.
Perhaps there is a way to measure how much clutch disk you have left through there.
72wrxporsche914
That's normal that hole is part of the casting of the trans . It's open to the clutch side of the transmission which is not in oil. Drive that thing no worries.
brant
I believe part of its purpose is cooling / venting

Used to have 2 friends racing teeners with 2.2/6 motors that significantly opened that hole for cooling with Tilton multi-plate clutches.

theleschyouknow
I'm trying to get 40 years of dirt and grease cleaned off my trans now I found that hole too and was wondering about it
as far as that goes do I need to worry about getting excess dirt and/or cleaning solution in there? (Dollar Store Awesome Cleaner)
thanks
cjl
whitetwinturbo
These have been known to hide there alien_2.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Jul 10 2015, 05:02 PM) *

I'm trying to get 40 years of dirt and grease cleaned off my trans now I found hole too and was wondering about it
as far as that goes do I need to worry about getting excess dirt and/or cleaning solution in there? (Dollar Store Awesome Cleaner)
thanks
cjl

You probably don't want to spray cleaner in there if the trans is installed on the engine. The clutch might not react well.
shoguneagle
Always something new and interesting to learn on these cars. Such a joyful hobby!
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 10 2015, 05:20 PM) *

QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Jul 10 2015, 05:02 PM) *

I'm trying to get 40 years of dirt and grease cleaned off my trans now I found hole too and was wondering about it
thanks
cjl

You probably don't want to spray cleaner in there if the trans is installed on the engine. The clutch might not react well.

more worried about the crud that might fall in there as I clean seems like that hole is basically wide open from the top(Gravity is not your friend in this case) surrounded by a nice flat spot that has collected a lot of dirt & grime just waiting to be busted loose and fall in that hole
stuff a rag or some kinda plug in there?
sorry for the hijack
ndfrigi
more pictures inside below that hole.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
stugray
That is why I thought it might be an inspection hole.
You can see/touch the throwout bearing
If you put a depth gauge in there when you installed a new clutch to get a baseline, I bet you could tell how much clutch plate you have left as it wore. confused24.gif
EdwardBlume
What pretty pictures.

I would say its a vent not a view hole since it doesn't have a cover. Germans are known for their detail. If it was an American car from the 70s, it could be a lift hole for the manufacturing process. Likely a vent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.