Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elephant Racing rubber trailing arm bushings...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Hello...I need to break down and buy these. I replaced my bushings 2 years ago with poly but they snap, crackle and pop and I don't like it!!!
Would love to hear from anyone that has installed these. Are you happy with them? Are they noisy? How as the installation, difficult or easy?
Thanks,
Mike
stugray
While we are on this subject: I have the stock rubber bushings (new) and they pop a LOT.

What is the most popular lubricant to try to spray/squirt/inject into those to make them stop popping?
I figured WD40 would penetrate the best, but white lithium might be better but harder to get into the crevice.
MikeM
I didn't want to hear that!! I thought they were quiet???
brant
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 10 2015, 03:52 PM) *

While we are on this subject: I have the stock rubber bushings (new) and they pop a LOT.

What is the most popular lubricant to try to spray/squirt/inject into those to make them stop popping?
I figured WD40 would penetrate the best, but white lithium might be better but harder to get into the crevice.

You need to install grease zerks and then channel groves into the bushings on these
MikeM
Are you guys talking about front or rear? I'm talking about rear RUBBER bushings.
shoguneagle
I have the brass/bronze bushings in the rear as well as the front. I have the ones that have the grease inserts (zeros) and channeled grooves. I do not have many miles on them but they do not make noise.

You can install the rubber/plastic ones from Elephant Racing and groove them. You can install zero fittings in the external holders and apply grease thus making them somewhat silent. How much, I do not know. It has been done in some of the real early build threads. Just make sure the zeros align with the grooves. Rears might be more difficult than the fronts.

I do like the Elephant Racing brass/bronze ones. Fairly easy to but you can break off the zerts when installing the rear suspension. You also have to watch the zert position to make sure it does not interfere with the suspension movement and applying the grease.

The process for inserting grease/zert fittings is the same for either the brass/bronze type or the rubber/plastic type (have to cut groove) type.
Somewhere I have the required drill and male metric tape listed.

Try to do a search and locate the information.

Steve
MikeM
A couple of years ago I installed the poly bushings. I carefully followed the honing and fitting instructions and JB welded them into place. I installed the Zerks also.
Now after driving for a while they snap crackle and pop. Very annoying.
I'm hoping the rubber ones will be all quiet.
Mike
pete000
I have the Elephant rubber bushings in the front and they are quiet and comfortable. Will be doing the rears soon.
JmuRiz
My brother got elephant rubber a around on his 930 recently and loves them. I plan on replacing my front/rear with their product when I put my car back together.
t collins
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 10 2015, 03:39 PM) *

I have the Elephant rubber bushings in the front and they are quiet and comfortable. Will be doing the rears soon.

agree.gif Same here and quiet as a mouse
shane
I installed them about a year ago, easy to install and no noise.
MikeM
Shane....did you install zerks for grease?
Thanks...
Larmo63
I bought an unknown (unmarked) set of rear poly type bushings here on the board for my rears when I did them and there has been no squeaking at all. The arms were powder coated, maybe that helped them stay quiet.

I can't say enough good things about the Elephant rubber fronts. They are a great product. Perfect.
MikeM
I must have done something wrong in my installation. Hope the rubber version is the answer. I don't want to do this again!!
Mike
shane
QUOTE(MikeM @ Jul 11 2015, 10:32 AM) *

Thanks...

No, from my understanding of stock rubber bushing they are suppose to flex (twist) not slip. You use liquid soap to slide them in and the soap dries up and the bushing no longer is free to slip, it flexes when the control arm goes up and down. What ever they are doing mine are not making noise.
Mueller
QUOTE(shane @ Jul 11 2015, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(MikeM @ Jul 11 2015, 10:32 AM) *

Thanks...

No, from my understanding of stock rubber bushing they are suppose to flex (twist) not slip. You use liquid soap to slide them in and the soap dries up and the bushing no longer is free to slip, it flexes when the control arm goes up and down. What ever they are doing mine are not making noise.

^this would be my understanding how they work as well....it has been ages since I've taken a suspension apart, but if they are vulcanized to the parts then for sure they are intended to flex for sure.

It seems that one would want to install the parts at darn near exact ride height, ideally this would have the least amount of tension up or down, the rubber could act like a spring and you wouldn't want that.

MikeM
Thanks gentlemen...
andys
Some years ago, I spoke with the tech guys at Energy Systems, who manufacture lots of polyurethane suspension bushings of all kinds. They advised me that the most effective lubricant for polyurethane bushings is marine grease.

I made Delrin bushings for my trailing arms, and have no issues.

Andys
MJHanna
I have them on my 911 race car they have been on there for 5 plus years. I just pulled them and they look like new. (all are the bronze type) They don't squeak or bind up. I will use them on my next project. They are easy to do , the fronts are real easy. On his web site you can pull the instructions and read them before you buy them.
raynekat

This is true.
No need to groove or zerk fitting a rubber bushing.
It's not needed or even recommended.

They should be dead quiet and last a number of years.
Elephant Bushing has probably the best set around.
You need to Google their YouTube on installation and their comparison to competitors to get the big picture.
shane
Yah I thought about that after I put every thing together with the arm hanging all the way down. I hope the soap was still a little slippery so it set at ride level, how ever seems to be happy.
MikeM
Hello...searched you tube but could not find their installation video.
If you have it handy, could you provide a link? Thanks.
altitude411
here's the link to their video page... https://www.youtube.com/user/elephantracing
MikeM
Thanks...I'm surprised they don't have one specific to the trailing arms.
Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.