Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Which car should I get?..5Gs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mr.C
I have 5 grand and want to replace my worn out Jetta with something not so worn out. I don't want payments so it is obviously going to be used. I kinda narrowed it down to maybe a Passat (I can find a newer body style if I look real hard.) Or maybe a 93 Lexus LS400, 250 hp and from what I read are pretty solid cars.
Oh and it has to be a 4 door so a 928 is out. I tried talking her into it, but she won't budge. I almost broke down and picked up a 98 Chrysler Town & Country, but after some research I found the trannys suck. I then thought about a Volvo 850 T5.
Anyways your help is much appreciated. wavey.gif
redshift
I'd get a... let me see... a 914.

Glad I could help!

M
Mr.C
Have 2 of them already.
r_towle
volvo
Mueller
I'm a fan of the Volvos...we've had our '98 S70 T5 since new and it currently has 105,000 miles on it. I've had to replace the brake pads and timing belt and other than normal tune-ups, it's been a great car...handles great, I've had the car out at ThunderHill race track and the supercharged MR2s and the early 928 couldn't touch me on the straight away before turn 1. The ride is a tad bit stiff due to the 17" 850R rims on it. About the only things I don't like about it is sometimes FWD can be boring and the wife won't let me put an exhaust kit or let me lower it smile.gif

The Lexus is I'm sure a nice car as well, possibly nicer than the Volvo as far as ride and comfort.

vortrex
my brother is a benz mechanic and swears by the old volvos. he as a 240 with almost 275k miles on the orig motor. if you look at the classifieds this is not uncommon. the car looks like a mess but it just won't die!
redshift
2 is nothing.

haha!

M
Mr.C
With 5 grand I have only been able to find the 95 Turbo 850s. I came real close last year to picking up one with a salvage title. The only reason I considered it was because it had a new engine. Then I started to catch the guy in lies so I backed away.

Miles I was wrong, I have
3 914s and..........a 911, Suburban (to tow the 914s), Baja Bug, 68 Fastback Mustang (Going for the bullit look someday) Jetta, 944 and a Motorhome. Oh yeah, forgot about the turbo diesel Rabbit and the 75 Westy.
iamchappy
Sounds like your covered as far as cars go, I would invest the 5Gs or get the Lexus I have a LS400 they are very dependable cars.
redshift
You need my car then!

M
Mr.C
What year do you have? From what I read, you want to stay away from the traction control and the air ride suspension. I also read that the 93s had the bigger brakes.
Found it all here: http://www.lextreme.com/

Most of those cars are getting sold/traded off. My buddy has a VW shop and he practically gives them to me. I need to learn how to say no.
Mr.C
Nah Miles that wouldn't fit in with my other teeners........yours runs. lol2.gif
tesserra
If you want a car with no passion to it get the Lexus.
I consider ours an appliance. It always works and does what you want it to do but it just not that fun in any way.
I used to have Volvo Rear wheel drive wagons until I got a V70. It was under warranty and had $5000 of repairs in 1 year.
That is when I decided on the Lexus.

Good luck

Mr.C
I'm open to new suggestions. Any thoughts on BMWs?
VegasRacer
Lexus or Acura.
Bleyseng
Another Westy! Gotta have two for spare parts....

Geoff biggrin.gif
Lou W
You might want to look at a Camry or Avalon, I've had three Camrys and one Avalon, all of them were excellant cars, not alot of flash, but good reliable cars. smile.gif
Mark Henry
Forget VW...well the bare bones 2.0 gas is OK...but don't even look at a 1.8T.

I'm not a happy camper with the Pissat and take a look here others are pissed as well.
JerryP
I've had a good experience with my 97 Maxima SE.
jasons
QUOTE (Cabasa @ Feb 25 2005, 07:31 PM)
I'm open to new suggestions. Any thoughts on BMWs?

I was gonna suggest a 94 or 95 5-series. Specifically the 525. It is about 200 hp. Not fast but adequate. Its a nice size, and an awesome freeway machine. The V8's from those years are BAD NEWS. The trannys are almost irreplacable and the engines have a notoriously bad block.

A 525 should be able to be had for 5k but it might be a stretch. You could go back a few years to an older one(same body different motor but still good). If you did go older, I would shoot for the 535 for more power. BMW 6 cylinders are great motors.

Below is a pic of the one I use to own until I totalled it.

user posted image
neo914-6
'86 to '90 w124 series Mercedes sedans can be had for $5k. They originally sold for $40k+ The ones over 100k are just broken in, the bottom ends are bullet proof. They are the original to the japanese copies and you will appreciate the german engineering. Frugal parts shopping, forums, and self maintanence will keep the costs down... wink.gif
Good luck,
TROJANMAN
saab 9-3
Mr.C
I tried my luck today in buying a car off of craigs list. Guys ad was for a 96 land rover discovery 4500 obo. I know it's not on my list of wants, but I always thought it would be cool to own one for awhile and just sell it if I didn't like it.
Well the suv was in San Fran (the city wink.gif ) I tell the guy I am like 3 hours away and I will be there between 4 and 5. Got my grumpy pops to go along and it gets worse from there. When I finally arrive following my mapquest directions cause I don't know the city, guy tells me to meet him at the Hyatt. Damn wheres that? I'm starting to get pissed now cause my directions are to his house. "I am dropping off a friend" I start to notice a lisp unsure.gif Gaydar goes off (but like Jerry Seinfeld says, "Not that there's anything wrong with that.")
Can't find the Hyatt after getting stuck in 5 o'clock traffic and pops is starting to overheat. GREAT. Call the dude again and he is now BACK at his house and refuses to meet me at the 76 station on 4th and Folsom cause he doesn't know where that is!
F it, I accept fate and assume it wasn't meant to be. Soooo I'm still looking. wacko.gif
Hawktel
Humm 5 grand.

I think you need to get a nice Crown Vic, from some grandpa driver from florida.

Get one thats white and watch people pull over when you rumble down the free way.

I'm going to get a nice Lincoln Town car someday. I'm going to stiffen up the suspension, lower it on down, get a built big block with a blower. Going to see if I can get it down past 14 in the quarter without jerking the interior out.
redshift
Everyone knows if you want to get banged, you need a Jag, says so in the commercials.

"Jag...warrRrrrr, bang me.." © 2005 FMC

M
Mr.C
Hmmmmm Miles....I won't touch that one......Not that there's anything wrong with that. bootyshake.gif laugh.gif
Gint
Just went through the same thing. I was looking at a 93-95 Lexus ES300 or Acura Legend. I found a 5 speed stick and it was a no-brainer:

rhodyguy
lo mile cadilac sts.

k
Mr.C
Well guys thanks for the advice. I ended up buying a 95 Land Rover Discovery. Another Craigs list car located in Walnut Creek. I got a pretty good buy I think and have money left over to play with too. biggrin.gif The wife is going to be the primary driver so I said what the heck, it will makes her happy. It's what she wanted all along anyways.
So now I can concentrate on selling the Jetta and starting my V8 conversion and not feel guilty. laugh.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.