Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ARGH! Installed my replacement shift cable finally.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Seriously WTF.gif

I get my shifter cable installed finally that snapped at WCR. Put my bumper back on along with the passenger rear wheel. Take it down off the lift. Back it out of the shop & just let it warm up for a while. Smelled a little something burning I thought was oil. Still turned off my car & unplugged power. I've had enough of things catching fire dry.gif . Keep looking everywhere & can't see anything causing the problem. After a few minutes of looking & checking wires. I figure I just had some overspray on the headers that was burring off. Makes sense. So I start my car up again & let it warm up enough to turn on my fans. I go to hop back in & take a spin up the road. Push the clutch & right to the floor without much effort headbang.gif .

Then I spend time trying to figure if my cable snapped. Pull out my center console to get access to center tunnel. Everything looks fine up front. Everything looks fine in back. I have my wife come out & push in my clutch while I watch the fork in back. No movement so I figure damn it snapped. Get under the car & see my cable seems to have a strange bow in it. When I swapped out my shifter cable I missed tying that cable with my others to my sub frame. The smell was the clutch cable against my header melting. Which weakened it & when I tried to use it. The cable popped right out the side. So front to back it isn't snapped. It is just coming out of the sheathing.

cheer.gif Yeah another lesson learned today cheer.gif dry.gif

Oh yeah one more fuching thing. Opened my glove box to find a bunch of chewed up paper. Plus 4 newborn mice. Fuching Mice I hate them. Killed off that little family but didn't get momma headbang.gif Did I mention I hate mice. I swear my car could be literally floating in mid air with no attachments. The damn mice would probably drop from the sky & still get in blink.gif
montoya 73 2.0
I put 4 packages of rat poison inside my teener since its been in storage up in oregon. only one was eaten so I replaced it last time I was up there. No chewed up anything other than the poison pellets. California outlawed the green pellets, so I buy when I go up there.
mepstein
I had a mouse chew a headlight wire. I was told to use dryer sheets. Bonus is it keeps the car smelling fresh biggrin.gif
Java2570
Yeah, I had my clutch cable get baked the first drive after installing my new Tangerine header setup. I didn't tie it away from the pipes enough and it melted a section of the sheathing. Fortunately, I could feel the difference in the clutch pedal and was able to get back home before it stopped working....it was only a mile away.
JawjaPorsche
I save my old fuel injection fuel lines and split them and slide them over "problem" areas of my speedo and clutch cables that I think might need extra protection from rubbing or heat.
EdwardBlume
Sorry about the cable. One thing leads to another. Yeah, mice suck... except for Mickey, Minnie and pals. biggrin.gif
Porschef
I always have a half dozen or so mothballs laying on the ground under the teener, never had an issue with critters. Not my favorite smell, but it sure ain't the little buggers either.

Last couple years our semi feral cat spends a lot of time in the garage; better than mothballs, I'm sure. evilgrin.gif
JRust
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 11 2015, 04:43 AM) *

Sorry about the cable. One thing leads to another. Yeah, mice suck... except for Mickey, Minnie and pals. biggrin.gif

Yeah not that big a deal. Just pissed me off as I had a nice drive planned today. Good it happened in my driveway instead of a couple hours from home. On the mice thing. Yeah my family are huge Disney fans so I really should have put a disclaimer that it didn't involve my favorite mice laugh.gif

Moth balls & the dryer sheets inside I am certainly happy to try. Sick of the damn mice. Anytime my car sits for any length of time. I need to be driving it more obviously
Bob L.
Maybe you're car is haunted?
rhodyguy
Buy an electronic mouse trap (or 2). I found one of the Victor units very effective ridding the crawl space of unwanted guest. cheap at Amazon. REAL cheap considering the damage you have to fix when they start nesting. Gotta kill them before they breed. Try figuring out how they get in the garage and place one of the traps where they are getting in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.