Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with rocker pannel screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
My car is at paint and I would like to replace all of the rocker panel hardware. Does anyone have a source?
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
I use standard metric bolts, washers, etc from my local hardware store. The last car I bought included a Pelican bolt kit, but Porsche used standard metric sizes for the most part...
Mikey914
Let me know what you find and I'll start stocking these along with the spacers.

I believe they are a hex head on the ends quite small not threaded like a bolt more like a screw

the bottoms are M6 bolts (12mm?).
Hope this helps. I do have the pop rivets cheap.
Harpo
I found two speed nuts on the top side of my rocker panels, one on each end. The other four holes on the top had nothing. I presume that they fell off. I checked bell metric but they don't have anything this small

https://www.belmetric.com/metric-screws-met...s-c-10_126.html

I will check with my fastener suppliers @ work on Monday

Mark yes it looks like the top screw is M4.2 and the bottom screw is M6 but I don't believe the M6 is a machine screw

DAvid
TheCabinetmaker
Bottom screw's were the same as the engine tin screw's.
JawjaPorsche
Got stainless bolts with Phillips head from Home Depot. Take old ones to match up length and metric size.

Instead of rivets, I used stainless screws.

The link below has special spacers.

http://www.914centralshop.com/Porsche-914-...-rubbersill.htm
Tom_T
#16 is a slotted cheese head metric, not hex Mark/Mikey914, & not Phillis Mark.

Phillips will cam-out before you get enough TQ on them to keep them in place.

Germans apparently transliterated that to "pan head" - which I associate with a low rounded shape like the inside of a frying pan - but the originals on mine were cheese head, which are flat around the edge circumference & about 1/16 - 3/32" tall (as shown in the diagram if you zoom in) - & those give a bit more "meat" than a pan head for the screwdriver to bite into while torquing down or loosening them.

Also, #13 is a black nylon/sim. spacer-washer about +/- 3/32" thick, which are harder to find than white ones (I just looked for similar ones in white for my Westy table locking bolts, but saw no black).

I think the AA & maybe A&P Girl (Mark's link above) & maybe others carry a "kit" for this hardware. I got the AA kit a while back to make it easier for me.

If you want to do the hunting yourself & aren't particular about being a bit off of originality (e.g.: hex instead of cheese head screws, etc.), then you can run the parts down using the PET descriptions at any old school hardware store(s) &/or online supplier(s) that stocks metric in a wide variety, but it will probably take you more than one source.

Sometimes it's just more cost & time effective to let someone else who's done all the sourcing on a wholesale basis to sell you a kit for a bit more than you might pay for the parts yourself + hours of running them down yourself.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
I do gave the Pan heads that I brought in for the sheet metal they are .10 a pop. What I'm proposing is to just add these to the hardware section so every time this comes up someone can just grab kit for just about the price of the hardware. I have a hard time spending $15 for $4 worth of hardware. It's one thing if you manufacture it and have a cost to make it. I get that, but when it's a matter of sourcing it. If yo all want to source it I'll stock it. At hardware store prices.
Harpo
The 4.2 screws (according to PET) are the same as #8. I was unable to find any speed nuts aka "U" nuts for the # 8 screws.

Are the M6 screws machine or space thread screws? Do they thread in to weld nuts?

David
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.