Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am looking for a ride in a 914 before buying - near Columbus Ohio or Asheville NC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jpc424
Hi there,
I have been very unwell, sick with Lyme disease and co-infections for the last five years. My wife and I live just north of Columbus in Delaware, OH. We think that I'm on my way to wellness now and we are looking for something to motivate me, we've decided on a 914 that I can start to tinker with or drive on my better than average days and hopefully take on some trips or auto cross events when I am well.
The rub is that I have liked this car forever, but have never sat in one. I'd like to have a few minutes with a car before committing to buying one. We are both about 5'5" and we wonder if it's a car that suits our size. We know we love the look and sound, and I am familiar with working on air cooled VW's, having owned several in the 80's and 90's.
Is there anyone in the area that would take the time to stop by and show us his/her 914, maybe take me around that block in it? It would be appreciated :-)
Jason & Andrea
Tom_T
welcome.png Jason & Andrea,

Your hts. shouldn't be a problem, but with age &/or something like your Lyme's, the lowness &/or clutch/stick may be a factor.

Also it's a good idea to have you both ride & drive one - so you know it fits both halves! biggrin.gif

... even if Andrea might only occasionally drive it, or maybe fill in for you if the Lyme/etc. kicks in on a trip or outing in the 914.

So I suggest that you both also try driving one too - before pulling the trigger, & test driving one FS may be a good route for that too.

Hopefully someone in your area will chime in for your ride! driving.gif driving-girl.gif

We have a friend with the same combo-condition & understand your pains & recovery - so get well soon!

PS - We're in our 60's, & my wife had driven & rode in my 914 when we were dating & first married, but she has "informed me" to: "...not plan on her riding in that low thing now" when it's restored & running again! dry.gif
... maybe she'll change her mind for short drives to Porsche club events? idea.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
jpc424
Tom, thanks for the wisdom and encouraging words. We are close to 40 and are hopeful that we have lots of 914 driving years ahead of us. Andrea is pretty into this, she is native German and likes to drive, I wouldn't be surprised if she drives it more than I do :-)
ConeDodger
There are certain frustrations that go along with 914 ownership. To be fair, most any 40 year old car will have them. I'd be concerned that the frustrations might demotivated you. For one thing, many of these guys cars barely run and when they do, kind of badly. The joke is that all 914's should come with jack stands... blink.gif

My own 914 runs like a top and is very sorted. Of course, I could have purchased a GT3 with the money I put into it. No really, literally!

If you buy one, buy the best one you can afford. Be sure you are good with tools unless you live near Chris Foley, Mark DeBernardi, Joe Sharp, Eric Shea. These guys make a living working on them.

Good luck! welcome.png
80cap
Jason
I live just north of Sunbury and am in the middle of a restoration. There is no seats in or much else now but your welcome to see what I'm up to. I wish I had a person guide me a little before I took the plunge but I am in the middle of it now, so we are going to finish the build.
They are a blast to drive, I had my first one some 40 years ago.
Brian
jpc424
Hi Rob, thanks for the reply.
I have a bit of experience with VW air-cooled motors, including a bus with a 2.0, we have a great climate controlled garage and lots of tools.
I am also concerned about demotivation, but there are not many cars out there that really excite me, at least from an ownership perspective. I might like a Datsun 240, 260 or 280, or a 510, an older celica or a Honda S800. Among newer cars maybe an MR2 or a Miata. But really, my ideal garage would have a mid-70's bus camper with a 2.0 and a 914.
We really are seeing improvement in my condition with the latest treatments that I'm on, and we are feeling fairly confident that I'll make a recovery soon.
Do others here share the sentiment about reliability that Rob has been kind enough to share? Is it worth the troubles to have a 914 in the garage? I think that with my experience and with sharing in a forum like this that I may do ok with one of these..... We are looking to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $10K. Is that enough to buy a car that's mechanically sorted and not rusty? I'd love feedback....
jpc424
Brian, we'd love to come and see the car, thanks for the offer. I'll pm you to figure it out.
Jason
jpc424
An extra note, we'll be near Asheville, NC on the west side in Leicester for a few weeks, starting around July 19th. If anyone in that area would want to meet up one day and talk with us/show us your car.....
dlee6204
QUOTE(jpc424 @ Jul 11 2015, 08:21 PM) *

An extra note, we'll be near Asheville, NC on the west side in Leicester for a few weeks, starting around July 19th. If anyone in that area would want to meet up one day and talk with us/show us your car.....

I'm the Asheville area and wouldn't mind helping if you still need it by then.
jpc424
Thank you Doug, we will contact you when we get there if we are still looking to see a 914. Cheers!
Jason
Amenson
I am in Dublin OH and would be happy to take you for a ride although my car is not exactly stock...see the build thread link in my signature. I have a stock seat in the basement that you could try blink.gif I could also point out some things to keep an eye out for when purchasing a 914.
Annapolis914
Not nearby, so not much help on the drive. However, I encourage you to chase your dream of 914 ownership. Any problems can be fixed, with time or money, or both. Your health is most important and mental health such a huge part of recovery from illness. Good luck and hope to hear about your purchase.
BTW demotivation simply means you sell.....not likely to lose much if any money if you are careful on the front end. Peace.
jpc424
Thanks for all of the awesome responses! I'm still on the fence, looking at the 914 and Datsun 510, still feeling unsure about what I want to do, and this group is helping a lot. Thanks!
Jason
jpc424
We are in Asheville now for the next few weeks, until August 14th or so. We look forward to connecting with 914 owners here or back home...
jfort
If you come up through Findlay, PM me. It's a six, though, and you may get spoiled. Will be at P2O in Granville on Saturday.
jpc424
Thank jfort, if I'm up that way I'll contact you. I won't be around for the porsche event, we'll still be in north carolina.
Cheers!
Jason

QUOTE(jfort @ Jul 20 2015, 09:26 AM) *

If you come up through Findlay, PM me. It's a six, though, and you may get spoiled. Will be at P2O in Granville on Saturday.

Amenson
QUOTE(jfort @ Jul 20 2015, 09:26 AM) *

I am going to P2O also. Hopefully they do not kick me out when I open the trunk/engine cover!
ripper911
QUOTE(jpc424 @ Jul 11 2015, 08:18 PM) *

Do others here share the sentiment about reliability that Rob has been kind enough to share? Is it worth the troubles to have a 914 in the garage? I think that with my experience and with sharing in a forum like this that I may do ok with one of these..... We are looking to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $10K. Is that enough to buy a car that's mechanically sorted and not rusty? I'd love feedback....

You'll be fine with a $10k car. They're like any other VW, it'll be reliable as long as you drive it enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.