Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Many Small Cars ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
can one fit into these garages?

Without the 4-post lift, I count 4 in the RV garage, and 3 in the other garage smile.gif

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
What is on the outside of the 35' wall? I see 4 cars and no lift or 3 cars on the floor with any car living on the lift stationed in the rear with plenty of room to get around, cabinets, what ever. How tall is the ceiling?
Tom_T
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 11 2015, 11:46 AM) *

can one fit into these garages?

Without the 4-post lift, I count 4 in the RV garage, and 3 in the other garage smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Probably so, but it will be tight + not all your rides are 914.

Agree that you should check clear ht. in the RV Garage for the lift, since I'd assume that the other garage under the 2nd floor bedrooms would probably only be 9-10' & not high enough.

If enough sideyard space, then it's also possible to tack on a shed roofed garage/shop to the right of the RV Garage, as what I think Rhody is getting at!

4-post lift is usually one over & one under, or a custom built double-wide is 2-up/2-down. I have a non-standard 17'-6" outside width 2-car garage too, so I'd have to use one that's 16'-6" w. + raise the roof (1921 detached garage) - so I know some lift makers can do them 16' for your RV garage. Otherwise the posts will cut down the 16' width & you may not fir one beside a std. 8' w. 1 car lift.

Is that 27.7' section of side wall an actual wall - or open - or a common wall with the unit next door to the left? I ask cuz that's usually a property line type designation used there.

Assuming new AZ digs?? confused24.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Andyrew
Looks like a killer pad!

2 regular cars in the main pad plus a little storage for "normal" life, RV should be enough for 3, One sideways on rollers, or in a dedicated work bay with work area around it and two behind it with probably a pull down ladder access storage above.
euro911
This is a single family residence on a tad less than 1/4AC. East property line is approx 10~15' from the RV garage. Only plan to fence off the side and back yard areas (no shed(s) envisioned (yet).

A lot survey is part of the permit process to erect a fence. The existing property markers show the property line is very close to the east neighbor's west walkway. They might not be too happy about that, but that's why we'll be pulling the permit. We need to enclose the yard for our doggies dog.gif

Click to view attachment

The Danmar D7 lift is 8.75' wide (at the bottom post flanges), so it should only take up 1/2 of the width in the RV garage. It has dollies, so it can be move to the ideal location as needed. I haven't had a chance to measure the height, but it appears to be more than adequate.

Click to view attachment

The main garage is below the kitchen/dining area. There's propane gas existing at the water heater in the garage, so I can plumb gas to the kitchen range and oven if my wife decides she doesn't like the electric ones confused24.gif

If I had to, I think I can squeeze two small cars tandem in the west side of the main garage, plus one more (and some motorcycles) in the remaining space. I'd like to get some of that nice epoxy floor finish done in there idea.gif

Still haven't decided on which vehicles will reside in AZ and which ones will stay in CA just yet.

Click to view attachment

Escrow is supposed to close on the 24th of July ... mueba.gif

There's a lot of stuff to deal with when moving to another state
wacko.gif
EdwardBlume
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
EdwardBlume
You could fit my rig in there....
Sedonut
I don't recommend a Danmar in a two car garage. It's just a matter of time with the spyder replica gone until I hit or scratch something.

On the plus side, I have 3 cars, 3 motorcycles in a standard two car garage. Just because you can do it, does not mean you should. Click to view attachment
euro911
Yeah, the lift is going in the RV garage, Tony ... no second thoughts about that.

We may only need room for 2 cars and a couple of bikes in the main garage ... the Tacoma and some project cars in the RV garage for now.

Here's the preliminary plan (subject to change at any time)

Ghia , 1 914 and some bikes will stay in CA + whatever vehicle we drive back & forth.

1 914, 1 912, 1 911, Tacoma and some bikes will reside in AZ

1 911 to the metal restoration shop in CA (long term project)

Sell Vanagon, '99 Beetle and a couple bikes ...

Looks like I may have more room than I need ...

... naw

laugh.gif
cpavlenko
Where in AZ, I'm in Chino Valley. Been here 10 yrs now. Maybe we can hook up someday. My view from the front of house is the San Francisco peaks at Flagstaff.
euro911
Payson smile.gif
Sedonut
Mark,

You can never have too many garages. I don't think you can have too many cars either. I like fixing them up, and it is a savings account. The way 911's and 912's have been going up, they are a great investment too. I hope 914's follow.

Tony
KELTY360
As satisfying as it is to fill a garage with cars, the ultimate luxury is to have an open bay. However the discipline and self control required to maintain an open bay is generally beyond most car guys.

Nature abhors a vacuum.
euro911
I'm definitely thinning the herd, Marc, and will have two different locations to divide up the remaining vehicles. I think this is going to afford a lot more elbow room - at both locations smile.gif
euro911
We signed the final documents this morning smile.gif

I have a little cleaning-up to do in the RV garage. Would like to apply an epoxy floor coating or maybe some B&W checkerboard vinyl tile? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment . Click to view attachment

I plan to install an additional pedestrian door in the back wall. Might put some thought into building a loft in there too idea.gif
euro911
Escrow closed on 7/28 and the seller's agent sent a clean-up crew to clear out the garage.

Dianne is packing boxes of domestic items and I've been s l o w l y staging boxes and crates of parts at the shop. We'll be making the first run when I get a full trailer-load ready to go, probably sometime in September. Probably won't be transporting any vehicles on the first couple of runs.

Maybe in October, I'll host a lift-disassembly party/BBQ and get all the heavy tools loaded up for a second run idea.gif

Sure hope we don't get the 'Storm of the Centruy/El NiƱo' weather conditions this coming winter pat.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 24 2015, 08:28 PM) *

We signed the final documents this morning smile.gif

I have a little cleaning-up to do in the RV garage. Would like to apply an epoxy floor coating or maybe some B&W checkerboard vinyl tile? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment . Click to view attachment

I plan to install an additional pedestrian door in the back wall. Might put some thought into building a loft in there too idea.gif

Houndstooth.

Is that where the lift goes? How cool would it be to build a wrap around loft that would gave you access to the car from above?
JmuRiz
2 in the regular garage (with bikes and motos in there too). 3 in the RV garage (tandem with one on and one under a lift with another near the door)

That'd give tons of space around them. Having space to fully open doors is VERY nice when working on, restoring, or cleaning a car.

BTW your parts loft is a great idea, with 16' wide you can have stair access along one of the walls. I have one above the door in my 22x24 space (ladder access) and it's a great addition.
r_towle
You could fit 7 914 s in that rev garage with wheel dollies
euro911
Very good ideas smile.gif

I thought about a loft for storing parts, just not sure exactly where or how large. I'll have to give it some more thought when we get settled in.
euro911
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 10 2015, 06:26 PM) *
... and Dianne would beat me to a bloody pulp if I had 7 914s in there sad.gif

Yes, the plan is for the 4-post and the mid-rise lift to go in the RV garage.
JmuRiz
I was thinking more about it, a good idea would be to put a 8' high door on the RV bay, with a parts loft above it with a window or two facing the front of the house.

This would give you the loft utility and make it not look like an RV garage from the street. Kill two birds with one stone.

I've attached an old picture of mine to show you a small-scale version (looks better now with exterior paint, drywall and corrugated metal internal roofing):
maf914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 10 2015, 05:26 PM) *

That's what I was thinking. I do it in my garage, but not with seven 914's. laugh.gif Just one car is on dollies.

Nice looking house, Mark. Good luck and enjoy it!
euro911
Thanks, Mike.

Nice garage, Nathan Is it full of stuff yet? poke.gif

I plan to install a pedestrian door in the north wall, with a wire-glass window to let more light in, as well as having access to the back yard. A window in the loft area would be nice too. I'll have to see how much head-space the attic has ... maybe a window up there too?

I like the fact that the RV roll-up door is on a cylinder, not on a linear track taking up a lot of real estate along the ceiling. That will allow me to build a loft really close to the front (south) wall.

I think a loft along the rear (north) wall would be nice too, and if built out far enough towards the south, it would allow for easier access into the attic since there's already a hatch up there (with a short ladder from the loft instead of a tall ladder from the floor). Also thinking maybe a catwalk to join the front to back along that west wall? idea.gif

Unfortunately, Dianne will surely have a list of other chores that will have to be done before remodeling the garage becomes reality dry.gif
JmuRiz
Totally full of stuff.

We were doing a full basement build to be finished before the kid arrived. Once we finished I moved all my garage stuff to start putting stuff on the walls and on display. Getting ready to put stuff up and had the basement flood...so the cycle starts again. Hopefully takes less than the year + to build it the first time!

And an exploded /6 conversion that's chassis has been on the lift waiting to be put together since Scotty painted it 2 years ago. Just haven't had the time.
euro911
I subscribed to this guys Youtube channel a couple of years ago ... has some good tips every now & then.

This is definitely something I'll be doing in the near future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NvPTALkRHQ
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.