Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo stopped working...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OllieG
Hi Folks,

Went for a drive last weekend and put the car away seemingly with everything working. I took it out today but the speedo is completely dead.

Electrics aren't my strong point so can anyone tell me how I should go about fixing it?

Thanks, Ollie.
mepstein

The speedometer runs off a cable. No electronics involved.
orthobiz
If the cable is properly attached, try tapping hard on the speedo when the car is running. The needle gets stuck some time. Mine did this after an odometer repair and is slowly getting better, like it's healing on its own! It would need a jolt and then it would start working at about 30mph and now at 20mph, hopefully it will continue to improve.

Paul
Steve
typically there is only 3 things that can go wrong.
-Angle drive on transmission end. Take off cable and try turning the drive by hand. If it turns you need a new one.
-Speedmeter cable. Remove speedometer, drive car and watch to see if the cable is spinning while driving.
-if the above is fine you need a new speedometer or get it rebuilt
TheCabinetmaker
Disconnect the cable from the drive gear at the trans.
Use a drill in reverse, with a slotted screw tip to turn the cable.
If the speedo turns, it and the cable is fine. If it doesn't, it's either the cable or the head unit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.