Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Twisted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maine914
My 1972 914 dips on the drivers side. In other words, its about an inch lower on that side. The tire has only a 1/2 clearance to the fender in back on the drivers side [which seems too small.] Based on the concensus of the 914Club BBS, I put on new springs [165s from PP.]. Springs look nice and shiny, but no change in the dip. I also looked under the car very closely -- there is no dignificant rust, and no sag. It is reputed that this car took a roll in an earlier life in CA. Is it possible the body is just twisted? If I can't get it untwisted, to be safer, would smaller tires make sense? It has 185s on it now with Riviera rims.
Thanks
SirAndy
check the suspension console in the rear for cracks ...

Andy
Maine914
I did...or think I did. Any tips on where to look in particular? Remember, I'm a newbie.
seanery
the arm that connects to the rear wheel. look for any cracks, tears, holes, etc...
If it has been hit on that side, it can do damage to the trailing arm and where it connects to the car.
mskala
Don't fear the worst right away (unless you know something I don't). Even
with the springs on the back set to the same groove or perch height, the
car will not necessarily be level in the back depending on the settings of
the front torsion bar adjustment. I guess I would only assume the chassis
has a problem if it is leaning a lot after proper corner weighting.
DNHunt
Did ya drive it. They often come off the jacks lopsided even if you don't change anything. Rolling it is not enough.

Dave
SirAndy
suspension console usally cracks above where the trailing arm mounts.
get under the car, see where the trailing arm is mounted to the chassis. (big bolt). that's where the arm pivots.
now look at the mount from the "inside" and look for any cracks.

Andy
mskala
If you are up to it and near southern maine, I am about 10mi
from NH (in MA) on I-95, we can put the car on my lift and take
a good look.
djm914-6
I wanna look to!!!

My vote is either unsettled or torsion bar height.
Maine914
OK. Thanks. It would be helpful to have some folks who knew what they were doing [unlike myself] to take a look at it. But first I'll have to put the interior back in, and I'm going to give it a compression test tomorrow [the 2 and 4 cylinders do not seem to be firing]. So, it may be a few weeks since I only can work on it on weekends. And would the torsion bar up front really make the back on one side that much lower?
mskala
A car is like a chair, too much height on one corner make it
lean. If you are having trouble with 2 & 4, you might want
to pull an injector and stick it in a cup, see if it does shoot
gas and make a click. If not, might be trigger points in the
bottom of the distributor.
Maine914
Thanks. It has carbs. And I did tune it up -- new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, condensor, points. Dwell is good, and timing is on. I plan to check it out today [unless the wife drafts me into some yardwork -- but its still raining here. A reprieve.] Yesterday was the springs. Thanks.
Maine914
As my other post indicates, I continue to have engine problems. After I found out the compression on all four cylinders was low, and one cylinder did not work at all, I decided to take it out on the interior. Ripping more of it out, and chipping out that evil tar coating, I made a discovery. Along the inner longitudinal on the passenger side, there is an 18 inch stretch that is...well...not original. It looks like bondo over some sort of heavy metal mesh. [I did not rip it out. Who knows what might happen? And it was time to walk away from the car before I did something extreme.] Also, the floor on that side sort of rises then dips down. But that side does not sag and is the side that rides higher. Let's see, the engine isn't working right...the longitudinal is bondo'd, one side is higher than the other. Maybe that's why I found this in a barn. [Oh, and the master cylinder was shot. But I replaced that...so I can stop if I ever get going!] I'm still going to plug away at this with true New England perseverance [or is that stubborness?] Much work on the 914 this weekend...not much to show for it.
Any thoughts...sympathy?
Thanks
seanery
Eventually, it will get better. biggrin.gif

or

It will go away! laugh.gif
DNHunt
It will get better. Yesterday I drove 2 exits past my exit just so I could turn around and enjoy it a little longer. Hang in there.

Dave
Don Wohlfarth
I'd recommend that you set down, take a deep breath, and STOP working on this car. There might be a real good reason you found this car in a barn.
Find out why the car is so much lower on drivers side. It could be something simple such as the torsion bars and rear springs are set wrong.
It could also be the car is twisted and this is as close as they could get to have all 4 wheels on the ground.
Don't be wasting a lot of time with a car that may not be repairable. sad.gif
I don't think Bondo is good for a permanent repair on a longitudinal. wink.gif
mskala
Overall, I agree. Unless this car has sentimental value, on an east
coast car, you should definitely probe all the typical frame problem
spots to assess what you have. Engine stuff is easy and cheap
comparitively.
nebreitling
yes, make sure the frame is kosher before proceeding. that said,

the 914 i just bought had the same issue (body lower in rear-driver corner). the alignment shop adjusted the torsion bar and aligned it with my weight in the drivers seat. now the car sits evenly (and handles incredibly). hang in there

nathan
Maine914
Thanks. SInce I'm in Maine, your Palo Alto shop is probably too far to drive to. This weekend, I'll check out the torsion bars...after I take off the carbs. Hey, I'm still having fun.
nebreitling
too far? where's your commitment?!

lol3.gif
Maine914
My kid is out that way, and when I visited I testdrove a few 914s and old 911s. Then I found this one in a barn near Albany. I might have been better off buying one of those and shipping/driving it back. But, then where's the challenge. The carb is coming off tomorrow. Torsion bars will be dealt with maybe over the weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.