Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: together now, strreeeeeeeetch...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
red914
it seems i just adjusted my clutch cable a couple weeks ago. if fact, i did. and now i need to adjust it again, as it is not completely disengaging. sad.gif

so, my questions are: is this bad? am i doing something wrong? is the weltmeister cable, as available through performance parts, a better deal? is this a sign of bad things to come?

as always, thanks for the help. pray.gif
ablose58
Ya better change it out like now !! It happened to me a while ago ,I redaj. cable then a month or so later went twang at the most inopportune moment, had to drive 30 or so miles w/out clutch headbang.gif AL
red914
unsure.gif thanks, Al. that would be bad.

i actually have a spare cable. everyone has their PO stories. mine left me with spare cables, belts, two doors, spare parts (exra speaker panels, extra top holders for the rear trunk, etc.). a good guy.

maybe i will change cable rather than adjust it... idea.gif time to look at the books!
Gary
Inspect the firewall from the engine compartment side where the clutch tube comes out. Unfortunately, more often than not, frequent clutch adjustments "tighter" mean the clutch tube is letting go rather than the cable stretching.
red914
oh. that would be a bad thing, right? and what if the tube is "letting go?" what then?
Gary
Worse than a stretched cable, better than suspension console letting go, so I suppose it's all relative... wink.gif

If the firewall is torn where the clutch tube comes out, you'll need to reinforce that area, typically with a plate welded to the firewall over the affected area. If it's pulled enough to break the welds between the cluch tube and the tunnel, you'll need to open the tunnel and have those rewelded too. Need to make sure the tube is welded out of the way of the shifter or you won't be able to engage reverse and 1st (ask me how I know).

Might be just a streched cable - you won't know till you look.
Triaddave
a clutch tube coming unglued is not the end of the world... i was able to get in there and reweld one once.it was a pain but worked fine
red914
(sorry, no pics: i am a dinosaur, afraid of your new technology)

checked, and the firewall where the clutch cable comes out seems intact and unstressed. what, exactly, would i be loking for? torn/rusted/broken metal? none is evident.

on the other end, how in blazes am i to get my fat little fingers in to undo the pedal end of the cable? evolution did not give me joints that bend that way. huh.gif
MattR
The same thing happened to Aaron Cox a couple of weeks ago. He was adjusting his clutch every month or so then finially it snapped on the road. Luckily he was about 20 feet from SKline's garage, and scott had a spare ( aktion035.gif ), but I would replace it if there are any questions.
red914
in the process of replacing cable now. well, taking a break for son's birthday. (going over to aquarium in seattle). clap.gif

using the haynes manual and an old copy of "mid engine views" that the PO passed on to me. any other recommended resources? blink.gif

getting the pedal end disonnected then reattached looks like the tough part from my initial survey of the situation.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (MattR @ Feb 26 2005, 12:14 PM)
The same thing happened to Aaron Cox a couple of weeks ago. He was adjusting his clutch every month or so then finially it snapped on the road. Luckily he was about 20 feet from SKline's garage, and scott had a spare ( aktion035.gif ), but I would replace it if there are any questions.

too funny! i get there and say "scott, i think my clutch cable is gonna snap" .... 200 feet from his house.... SNAP laugh.gif
red914
WOW! what a difference! new cable is slick feeling. could be that the old cable was not tight to the clevis, or dirty and gritty, but hey, i had a new one (thanks Brooks, the PO) so i thougth i'd put it on. then took the car for a test spin. my wife must think i am crazy because i pull into the garage laughing... it is so very fun to drive this car.

it is beauty, and truth, and all that is good in the world. i turly love it! wub.gif

thanks again to all who offered advise. you all rawk! clap.gif
TravisNeff
Here's a tidbit you may not know, or maybe it is just a myth. Here goes; Check your transmission ground strap (as well as your regular ground strap). If you have poor grounding, the clutch cable will act as your ground, with that your clutch cable will weaken and stretch. Sounds kinda bunk to me, but hey it oughta be worth a look see.
john rogers
While you are under there checking the clutch tube, make sure the outer cable is seated fully on the clutch tube where it exits the firewall. I use a pair of vise grips and a small hammer to make sure it is seated after having one inch over the tube and require several adjustments in the first few weeks. You can hear a "thunk" when it is seated.
xsboost90
yeah my first experience w/ the damn clutch tube was ten miles from my garage while driving w/ the g/f and going up a nice hill, go to down shift and pedal goes to the floor! The tube snapped off and ripped part of the consule w/ it. Seem the "restoration" by a PO included welding the center pan in but only up to the firewall, not the rusty firewall...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.