Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Built Wine Racks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > Ads: All Other Non-914 Stuff
ChrisFoley
I designed this free-standing wine rack for myself using stainless steel tubing.
The first one is 8 bottles high by 14 bottles wide for under counter used.
I can easily re-configure for full height by 5 bottles wide.

I'll be building this in the next couple of weeks and will post a picture of the completed unit.

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
Here's the unit nearly completed in my shop:

Click to view attachment

and loaded with bottles in my living room:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The white tubes at the back are hoses for coolant, strung through all the bottle hoops.

Here it is in its permanent location in my basement:

Click to view attachment

I'm prepared to custom make these in nearly any size. Contact me for details.
JmuRiz
Very cool, wish I had the room and collection to justify it.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 25 2015, 05:25 PM) *

Very cool, wish I had the room and collection to justify it.

Its never too late to start a collection, and I can custom build a rack to fit wherever you have room. smile.gif
ChrisFoley
If you noticed the plastic loops of tubing in the back, those are for the cooling system.
At present I have cold well water trickling through all the bottle support hoops. That is keeping the wine nearly 10 degrees below room temp.

I'll upgrade that to a solenoid operated setup with a thermostat for better efficiency.

I have an even better cooling system planned, one that is good enough to sell with the rack.
It will use a small thermoelectric heat exchanger and a small circulating pump for a closed loop system. The thermoelectric unit will be remotely located so the warm air isn't reintroduced into the storage location.
kid914
Niiiiiiiiiice work Chris. first.gif

What is the starting price..based on the model from the pics?

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(kid914 @ Aug 26 2015, 06:58 PM) *

Niiiiiiiiiice work Chris. first.gif

What is the starting price..based on the model from the pics?

Approximately $2600 for the 122 bottle unit shown
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 26 2015, 04:51 PM) *

I have an even better cooling system planned, one that is good enough to sell with the rack.

I'm currently testing the thermoelectric closed loop cooling system.
The chilling unit I bought is listed as 50W capacity, but I'm actually drawing closer to 150 watts including the controller, transformer, fan, and circulating pump.
First tests were a little disappointing - the lowest temp reached was still above my desired setpoint and the unit was running constantly - but the rack is uninsulated, just protected from air currents. I did install a triple track sliding door with 1/4" birch plywood panels.
I found that by reducing the water flow rate my thermal transfer rate improved and the temp dropped some more.
I added minimal insulation where it was convenient, but still far from what a fully enclosed unit could be.
Now it reaches a lower setpoint (59.5 deg. F) and it holds the bottle temps to about half a degree variation.

The next step will be designing the cooling system to be compact and as an integrated part of the product.
I'm ready to build a fully enclosed rack next, with double glazed panels and a better prototype chiller attached.
ChrisFoley
I'm making these countertop racks right now.
They're available at a 15% discount thru Jan 1 2016.
Use Coupon Code "holiday15" at checkout.
My Webpage

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.