Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: annealing exhaust gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
I read in a thread somewhere here that you can anneal the copper exhaust rings on your stove top as long as you get them red hot? I was tempted yo do it with oxy acetelene and a rosebud tip But was afraid of getting them too hot. What is the reccomended procedure?
screenguy914
YouTube is handy to review videos on a wide range of techniques, incorrect ones too. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...nnealing+copper
stugray
I hang them up and hit them with a butane torch (same as you would solder copper pipe with) until they change color.
You can see a very dull glow.

Then I try to let them cool slowly, but I am told that copper is not like annealing steel and you could even quench them if you want....
Larmo63
agree.gif

We just did this on Forrest's engine and they seem to change shape enough that they fit up in the heads tighter while you put the pipes on.
NFBrown
Annealed exhaust gaskets are much softer than new ones right out of the bag. Mine would not seal at any reasonable torque until annealed.

Nick
JawjaPorsche
If you can after you install, let engine warm up and check nut tightness and snug just a little more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.