Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Porsche Bicycles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bryanthompson
Surfing around because I’m looking for a bicycle for when I move to ‘the big city’ and I found this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

Anyone know anything about Porsche Bicycles? They look sexy as hell, and I’m pretty sure I neeed one now.
Cap'n Krusty
There's a recall on at least some Porsche bicycles ........... No kidding. Wonder if this is one of them? The Cap'n
Brett W
Porsche bikes are very heavy. The seller must be delierious if he thinks he can sell a heavily used bike for 1500$. Especially a bike that wasn't all that great to start with.
vortrex
they were about $6000 new. the guy across the steet from me has a new one hanging in his office. they never got good reviews as bikes when they came out, from what I recall. it's just like buying a novelty.
pete-stevers
I" ve been ridiing a rocky mountain for years, hard-tail at that.... its been really good to me, great for technical trails, they have great frame-sets... road or mountain...
wish i had more time to ride again.... gotta get rid of the beer gut.....one day not sure if they are avilable down there... good luck biggrin.gif
URY914
I heard Porsche bikes are heavier than my car! ohmy.gif

Paul
Elliot_Cannon
They're like a Huffy with a Porsche sticker on it. Way heavy and many were recalled, I think for cracks in the frame. Not Porsche quality.
Cheers, Elliot
Gustl
Porsche even made a Bumblebee Bike:

user posted image
wrpspddrvr
Get a Cannondale. They rule. Mine's withstood all sorts of crap. I've done dumb crap and just tipped over onto curbs (clipless pedals anyone?), got hit by a car, fell in a sprint at 30MPH and went into 3 full flips that broke my collarbone, shredded my jersey, shorts, and tights (not to mention arms and legs), split my helmet, and ground up my brake levers, and I hit a dog at over 23MPH that broke the dog's back and sent me sliding with the bike. Through all this, my frame has remained perfectly straight, with nothing but a small bit of paint missing on my right seatstay from the curb it got thrown into when the car hit me.
On top of that, Mario Cippolini used it to win the World Championship. If that CAAD5 frame is good enough for him...... (i.e. Schumi's Ferrari)

Cole monkeydance.gif
Rhodes71/914
agree.gif with Cole, I have had several different mountain and road bikes and Cannondales are my favorite.

Man I miss mountain biking everday.
Jeroen
The Porsche Carbon bikes are POS
The frame cracks...
Someone locally had the "bumble bee" bike posted above
He went through 3 frames before he gave up on it and bought something else
East coaster
Sorry, Cannondale (Crack-N-Fail) fans, but I snapped my Cannondale in half and wasn't doing anything spectactular when it happened. Also had to replace it's lame ass Cannondale brakes with aftermarket to prevent certain death. Buy an Ellsworth, you won't be sorry!

I take it you're looking for a mountain bike..........right??
iiibdsiil
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Feb 26 2005, 06:13 PM)
Get a Cannondale. They rule. Mine's withstood all sorts of crap. I've done dumb crap and just tipped over onto curbs (clipless pedals anyone?), got hit by a car, fell in a sprint at 30MPH and went into 3 full flips that broke my collarbone, shredded my jersey, shorts, and tights (not to mention arms and legs), split my helmet, and ground up my brake levers, and I hit a dog at over 23MPH that broke the dog's back and sent me sliding with the bike. Through all this, my frame has remained perfectly straight, with nothing but a small bit of paint missing on my right seatstay from the curb it got thrown into when the car hit me.
On top of that, Mario Cippolini used it to win the World Championship. If that CAAD5 frame is good enough for him...... (i.e. Schumi's Ferrari)

Cole monkeydance.gif

That's some bad luck there, you still riding after all that?
Brett W
Despite the fact that I own a Cannonwhale, for my trials bike, I would never own one for mountain or road use. They are too stiff for either. My first frame cracked at the upper rack mounts, (I have a friend that went through the same thing)

I have had a GT Road frame and I currently am riding an Orbea. I am very happy with those frames. I have had a GT steel frame hardtail mountian and now ride a custom Jamis hardtail. I love steel mountainn bikes. They just seem to bite better than aluminum. Not near as harsh a ride either.

Here is some work I did for a local builder.
scotty914
at least these bike are midengined
Reiche
QUOTE (Brett W @ Feb 26 2005, 10:24 PM)
I love steel mountainn bikes.  They just seem to bite better than aluminum.  Not near as harsh a ride either.

Hear, hear, BrettW. My 9 bikes are all steel.

Aluminum is good for full-suspension bikes, but on hardtails, steel gives a much smoother ride.

I remember when the Porsche bikes came out. They had a booth at the Interbike show. The bikes were mounted on Boxsters with factory roof racks (which you had to remove to open/close the top.) They were definitely eye candy, but that's about it.

I would guess most Porsche mountain bikes actually get off-road about as much as most Cayennes do. A Porsche road racing bike makes more sense to me. When I was at the Porsche factory in '03 they had a full-carbon road bike in the gift shop.

QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 26 2005, 10:29 PM)

And air-cooled!
iiibdsiil
I just realized they had disc brakes. That is great. Brembo make an upgrade for that?
xitspd
Giant, Santa Cruz and Intense are the preferred weapons of the Valle Vista Boyz at the 24 Hours of Adrenalin endurance races at Hurkey Creek. Next race, April 30th throught May 1st.

We are preparing two ten man teams for the 24 hour endurance race in the rugged San Jacinto Mountains. Any 914world.com members interested please contact me. I have two openings left. This race is not for the faint of heart!
Brett W
Definitely, I rode with a team in the 24 hours of Adrenaline race over in Conyers, GA. That was a tough race. Nothing like that lap at 3:30 AM when you been riding all day long.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Reiche @ Feb 26 2005, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (Brett W @ Feb 26 2005, 10:24 PM)
I love steel mountainn bikes.  They just seem to bite better than aluminum.  Not near as harsh a ride either.

Hear, hear, BrettW. My 9 bikes are all steel.

Aluminum is good for full-suspension bikes, but on hardtails, steel gives a much smoother ride.

I remember when the Porsche bikes came out. They had a booth at the Interbike show. The bikes were mounted on Boxsters with factory roof racks (which you had to remove to open/close the top.) They were definitely eye candy, but that's about it.

I would guess most Porsche mountain bikes actually get off-road about as much as most Cayennes do. A Porsche road racing bike makes more sense to me. When I was at the Porsche factory in '03 they had a full-carbon road bike in the gift shop.

QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 26 2005, 10:29 PM)

And air-cooled!

Best place for those bikes.....wall hangers on Boxsters....along with the coffee holders and cell phone connectors and nail file depositories....
Chris914n6
They looked good on paper...
They came with a bunch of proprietory euro parts that would be difficult to find replacements for here.

I would stick with something USA made, you can find parts/upgrades anywhere.
I have a '98 Specialized Stumpjumper that I bought (pieced together) new, though I would not shy away from any listed above either. My local paper usually has a decent selection to choose from for quality used bikes.

HTH,
Chris
Aaron Cox
i agree..... get something made here....

i picked up a Klein Hardtail for a really good price... UBER light weight...AL
XTR components...the whole 9 yards.... 300 bucks biggrin.gif
Eric Taylor
Aaron, XTR for $300?Their should be law's against such a good deal. Holy shit that is a nice bike. The picture looks familiar too our youth camps room's aren't exactly made for holding a lot of shit. Anyway, I just picked up this specialized rockhopper a couple of weeks ago, I love the dam thing, I ride it all the time it really feel's tough, and the fork is pretty nice for a low end manitou, but anyway, I would agree with the rest, check out your local bike shop. Lot's of good deal's right now.
Eric
Eric Taylor
Or if you want a road bike. This is my roommate's de rosa. DuraAce components, and a carbon fork, It's an amazing machine, pick it up with one finger.
eric
Maltese Falcon
got a nice red P bike for Xmas. It kept derailing upon coasting. Tried everything I knew about bikes...to no avail. I found a local bike shop in Glendale, who was enthused about working on it. For 20 bucks he re-set cable tensions , took out the shield from the deraileur (which said "Do Not Remove"), and it rides real good now wink.gif
Even funnier is that the owners manual says to take it to your local P dealer---yeah RIGHT !
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric Taylor @ Feb 27 2005, 08:30 PM)
Aaron, XTR for $300?Their should be law's against such a good deal. Holy shit that is a nice bike. The picture looks familiar too our youth camps room's aren't exactly made for holding a lot of shit. Anyway, I just picked up this specialized rockhopper a couple of weeks ago, I love the dam thing, I ride it all the time it really feel's tough, and the fork is pretty nice for a low end manitou, but anyway, I would agree with the rest, check out your local bike shop. Lot's of good deal's right now.
Eric

yep..great bike.....and yes...that is my dorm room laugh.gif
mrobin
i'm a bike mechanic by trade.. and we recently got a porsche bike in for repair..
dispite the fact it was insanely over priced , it needs a part we can't get and the bike is useless..
xitspd
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 27 2005, 01:29 PM)
i agree..... get something made here....

i picked up a Klein Hardtail for a really good price... UBER light weight...AL
XTR components...the whole 9 yards.... 300 bucks biggrin.gif

$300.00 WOW! XTR.... You are living life right! Call if you find another.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.