Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head Temp Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hine62
I have a this gauge:
IPB Image

IPB Image

It's connected to power, ground, and head sensor. Is it connected correctly or the wrong gauge for head temp?

Also I have a 6volt draw at the battery, I'm thinking there is a short some where...

Thanks
Hine62
Mblizzard
That looks like an oil temp gauge. If it were a cylinder head gauge seeing it is in F it would be maxed out most of the time. How do you know it is attached to a cylinder temp sensor?
Hine62
I followed the wire to the head sensor. I does read between 180 and 210 most of the time.

hine62
SLITS
Oil Temp .....

Head Temp gauge would read to 500 F.

The VDO Head Temp gauge would have a ring sensor under one of the spark plugs.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Hine62 @ Jul 13 2015, 08:04 PM) *
I followed the wire to the head sensor. I does read between 180 and 210 most of the time.

You're getting results that are just short of nonsense. The fuel injection's CHT sensor has a completely different temperature range than the one for the oil temp gauge, which is the gauge you are showing. Luckily, they do work on the same principle and even in the same direction. (They're both thermistors, they have less resistance when they're hot than when they're cold.)

The stock CHT runs out of resolution right around the time the heads get to working temperature. The sender is in an area of the head whose temp lags pretty badly, as well, so by the time it reacts to a change the operating bits of the head have already heated up or cooled down significantly.

The decent CHT senders use a thermocouple, which generates a small voltage across it depending on the temperature it sees. And the gauge, of course, reads it correctly. And the sender goes under a spark plug, in an area that reacts much more quickly to temp changes.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.