Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air intake using oval shaped K&N filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
azbill
Is anyone using an air intake system with the K&N oval filter on a 2.0 stock fuel injector setup? What are your thoughts? Good/Bad/In different

Thanks Bill
TheCabinetmaker
There are a few of us, but we're a very few. After having two oem filters come apart, clogging the plenum, and causing engine to not run, I scrapped the stock setup and made my own from a K&N cone filter and 2" pvc. I don't really know it if flows any better, but it definately works just as well, and the esposure of the entire engine was a major plus.
azbill
My thinking is to have a more exposed engine. I doubt if there is an inprovement of the inflow - that would be a plus. How did you attacked the filter to the PVC ellbow?

Thanks
Bill
Trekkor
I ran one on my 2.0 FOUR for a few months. Seemed to work great. All the FI vac hoses were threaded into the PVC elbow with brass barbs.

I does run louder, too. wub.gif

KT
Cap'n Krusty
AND, you get the added advantage of LESS filtration, and bigger particles entering your engine! Just think, you get to do that rebuild you've been waiting on sooner than you thought! Whattadeal ......................... The Cap'n, who can't believe people still buy that cr*p .....................
TheCabinetmaker
Well, there you have it. We are officially full of crap!!! Hmm, isn't that the same filters that carbed cars run?
Rhodes71/914
I just made one for mhy 2.0 with FI because when I bought the engine it didn't have the air filter set up. I used a rubber coupling for PVC pipe out of the TB. Then to a PVC elbow with 4 brass fittings tapped in for the breather lines and the K&N fits on the elbow.

This is a new set-up still in progress, I have the rain tray off so it will clear but I think I will exted off the elbow and get the filter in a spot where I can put the rain tray back on.

I can post a pic tonight if you want.
azbill
I think god spoke - the law is has been laid down thank you Capt'n.

Yes I would like to see a pic when you get time.

Thanks
Bill
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 26 2005, 01:04 PM)
AND, you get the added advantage of LESS filtration, and bigger particles entering your engine! Just think, you get to do that rebuild you've been waiting on sooner than you thought! Whattadeal ......................... The Cap'n, who can't believe people still buy that cr*p .....................

OK Cap'n I've seen you refer to the K&N'S this way before, what do you recommend for aftermarket air filler set -up?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Feb 26 2005, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 26 2005, 01:04 PM)
AND, you get the added advantage of LESS filtration, and bigger particles entering your engine!  Just think, you get to do that rebuild you've been waiting on sooner than you thought!  Whattadeal .........................  The Cap'n, who can't believe people still buy that cr*p .....................

OK Cap'n I've seen you refer to the K&N'S this way before, what do you recommend for aftermarket air filler set -up?

I don't recommend anything other that the stock paper filter panel, except for the early 1.7s, which use the VERY efficient oil bath filter. The paper filter has FAR more square inches of filter area, and the pores are FAR smaller than those on the K&Ns. More area for air to pass through, and better filtration, too. Good used 2 litre filter housings are out there, you just need to look. Might even find one on e-bay next week! For engines with carbs, I guess you're stuck with whatever is out there. The Cap'n
3d914
Good points Captn, but the real limitation in the stock system is not the filter itself, but the little 2" opening at the end of the air box, and that it draws hot air from off the engine.

I don't recall where on this board, but someone contrived a modified air box using metal rain gutter ducting which had a cross section closer to 2" x 4" (or more). My plan is to mount two (instead of the original one) to the air box. These then draw the air from the side grills adjacent to the engine lid. His tests indicated sufficient intake air temp reductions to make it worth the bother.

Enjoy!
scotty b
QUOTE (3d914 @ Mar 30 2005, 05:08 PM)
Good points Captn, but the real limitation in the stock system is not the filter itself, but the little 2" opening at the end of the air box, and that it draws hot air from off the engine.

I don't recall where on this board, but someone contrived a modified air box using metal rain gutter ducting which had a cross section closer to 2" x 4" (or more). My plan is to mount two (instead of the original one) to the air box. These then draw the air from the side grills adjacent to the engine lid. His tests indicated sufficient intake air temp reductions to make it worth the bother.

Enjoy!

Just make sure the opening point DOWN! Or you'll be rebuilding the engine soner than you would like. I know alot of guys here have probably worked on baja bugs and sand rails with the ultra cool straight up exctractor, that never got coverd and ended up as a rain funnel right into the heads sad.gif
azbill
Scotty - Thanks for the tip. I am running it under the rain tray it just fits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.