Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srreality
I've run across a Porsche 914, 1972 vintage I think, with 1.7-liter engine. There's actually two cars involved, the primary and a parts car. The primary's body work and paint work, including rust elimination are finished. The car is partly disassembled, with the engine/transaxle out. The engine has low compression on one cylinder, so a rebuild is called for, either partial or complete. I believe I can handle reassembly, swapping parts, installing new ones where necessary, etc. but can't do an engine rebuild. I propose to stick with fuel injection (repaired as necessary) and a straight-forward rebuild, reusing what makes sense and renewing otherwise. I'm trying to "ball park" what that rebuild might cost.

This will be a winter time project for me, as I have the space, the time (I'm retired) and maybe the inclination to finish what someone else started.

I saw this forum and decided to ask a more knowledgeable community for thoughts, advice and warnings..............
brant
Where in co?
Maybe we can help.
One of the locals could maYbe go with you to look at it.
These cars rust badly and are not economical to fix in some me cases.

Most of us that have been involved for a while learned the hard way on our first purchase and lost money on our first purchases on rusted out choices.

We have a strong local group and a yahoo page you should join. A Saturday gathering coming up.

I'm in longmont if I can help.
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
brant
Mark rebuild is economical

Stay away from painters grinding.

I don't know the current pricing but roughly 6k
Tranny work another 2500
srreality
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 14 2015, 07:15 PM) *

Where in co?
Maybe we can help.
One of the locals could maYbe go with you to look at it.
These cars rust badly and are not economical to fix in some me cases.

Most of us that have been involved for a while learned the hard way on our first purchase and lost money on our first purchases on rusted out choices.

We have a strong local group and a yahoo page you should join. A Saturday gathering coming up.

I'm in longmont if I can help.

Thanks for the offer. I'm confident the body work and paint are new, sound and finished. That's one of my criteria for a project - - - no body work or paint. Been down that road on a TR3A. I'm worried about the cost of rebuilding the engine.
rick 918-S
welcome.png Basic rebuild 5-6k plus what ever F.I. parts need to be replace/repaired/ There are may knowledgeable CO. on the forum including Brant.

I would suggest having Jeff Bowlsby rebuild the F.I. wiring harness and get a set of SS fuel lines for the tunnel to avoid the common fires from old plastic lines. We have a member vendor section for new parts sources and the classified for other parts you may need.
srreality
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 14 2015, 07:19 PM) *

Tranny work another 2500

I'm in Loveland. Who/where is Mark rebuild? $6K to rebuild an engine? If that's the case, then I'll "pass" on this project. I'm told it doesn't need tranny work. I'll check back in later this week after I go look at it for real. I've only taken a cursory look sometime ago.

Thanks!
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png
Good luck! Leverage your 914world friends if you can...
rangrbob
QUOTE(srreality @ Jul 14 2015, 10:04 PM) *

Tranny work another 2500

I'm in Loveland. Who/where is Mark rebuild? $6K to rebuild an engine? If that's the case, then I'll "pass" on this project. I'm told it doesn't need tranny work. I'll check back in later this week after I go look at it for real. I've only taken a cursory look sometime ago.

Thanks!

Stop by VEE W Unlimited on Rail Road south of 1st Street and talk to Pat about rebuilding a motor. I've had him rebuild several of my motors and have not been disappointed.
brant

Tranny work another 2500

Thanks!

Don't buy a 914 without pulling the rockers.
Seller may refuse but it's mandatory

Claims of "tranny is fine". Are common. Half still need work to shift well.
They all shift cruddy so really need a good tranny.

Want to drive a strong 2.0?
You will be surprised how well/fun they are to drive
srreality
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 14 2015, 10:27 PM) *

Tranny work another 2500

Thanks!

I've never driven one! If I can't buy this thing and finish it, then sell it for enough to cover my out-of-pocket costs, then it's not the project for me! I get terribly bored in the Colorado winters and want something to occupy myself with and then sell it next Spring/Summer. I may be kidding myself that this is the right car for that, but doesn't cost anything to look, research and ponder it.
brant
It could be a fun project
Some. Co cars are pretty clean.
You can come to longmont and we can take a ride if you want.
By you risk getting hooked on them.
Chris914n6
Don't let some of the figures people are throwing out scare you away. 6k and 2500 are full rebuilds with all new everything. I doubt the mechanicals have enough miles to need that. It is, however, possible to put more time and money into it than you have planned. It's a 40 year old German car, parts are usually not cheap and easy.
mepstein
QUOTE(srreality @ Jul 15 2015, 01:00 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 14 2015, 10:27 PM) *

Tranny work another 2500

Thanks!

I've never driven one! If I can't buy this thing and finish it, then sell it for enough to cover my out-of-pocket costs, then it's not the project for me! I get terribly bored in the Colorado winters and want something to occupy myself with and then sell it next Spring/Summer. I may be kidding myself that this is the right car for that, but doesn't cost anything to look, research and ponder it.

It's very difficult to buy a 914, fix it up and break even on the sale. Even harder to do with little or no prior 914 experience.
rick 918-S
If your looking for a project to occupy your winter it could be fun. If your looking for an investment it is very difficult to build a 40 year old car and make money these days. One thing is sure. the 914 is a fun car and you won't meet a nicer group of people. I say buy the car and fix it up. If you break even fine. If you drive the car and attend an event or gathering it is likely you won't want to sell anyway.
srreality
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 15 2015, 12:53 AM) *

Don't let some of the figures people are throwing out scare you away. 6k and 2500 are full rebuilds with all new everything. I doubt the mechanicals have enough miles to need that. It is, however, possible to put more time and money into it than you have planned. It's a 40 year old German car, parts are usually not cheap and easy.

My thanks to you and all the other posters. I've repaired/rebuilt several LBCs (little British cars) and a '62 Corvette, with one of the LBCs being a frame-off, complete restoration. I used professionals for what I could not do and did the rest myself. Therefore, I'm somewhat familiar with the vagaries of rebuilding old cars, although I am definitely an amateur! Having never worked on a Porsche (VW), except oil changes and basic maintenance, I'm approaching this with great caution.

I'll let the Forum know what I decide to do after I've taken a long look at the beast on Friday.
srreality
Spent several hours poking around the 914 project car . It is a '73 vintage, body, paint, etc. are very nice. The interior is actually in pretty good shape, except for a tear in the driver's back cushion - - - the dash, door panels, back bolsters, etc. are very salvageable. The dash isn't cracked and everything is there. The paint job included the door jambs, inside the front and rear "trunks" and underneath the lids. Targa top was painted, too. Door windows work and look good. The car is greatly disassambled, but all the trim, etc. is there and except for a few dings is straight and very reusable. The car was repainted white, black Targa top and brown interior. Although it ran rough "when parked", it shifted fine, stopped, turned and all the electrics worked. It's been kept indoors out of the sun and weather for 8 years. The original owner skipped and didn't pay his bill, so I'd have to get a bonded title, although I've located that owner and will see how cooperative he might be. Lots of manual labor to be done, perhaps without a ton of expensive parts..........then there's the engine rebuild. I spend some time with Vee W Limited last week and came away satisfied that the cost is manageable. The parts car is virtually completely intact, but has been sitting out in the weather, so lots of "soft" things ruined - - - good body parts and "metal" things though that could be sold off, I suppose.
I"m going to do some more research on bonded titles (I've secured them before, but years ago, so there's more hoops to jump through today!). So far, it looks "do-able" to me. Stay tuned!
brant
I hope you pulled the rockers
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 19 2015, 07:45 PM) *

agree.gif

But if you can't, at least put your finger in the jack holes, look at the floors behind the seats, look at the dog ears, battery tray, under the battery tray, and the entire length of the longs.

These cars were not meant to last.

Good luck!
srreality
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 19 2015, 08:45 PM) *

They were off already because of the body/paint work. Looks like the rebuild/renew of the body was thorough.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Always terrific to have another member loving on these cars. thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
srreality
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 19 2015, 09:22 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 19 2015, 07:45 PM) *

agree.gif

But if you can't, at least put your finger in the jack holes, look at the floors behind the seats, look at the dog ears, battery tray, under the battery tray, and the entire length of the longs.

These cars were not meant to last.

Good luck!

All of that looked good - - - I was prepared for the worst and got a pleasant surprise.............for once.
srreality
After pulling the '73 out of it's storage room and putting it up on a lift, my hopes were confirmed. All the bad spots were either addressed or they weren't rusty in the first place. (Colorado car) The body and paint job was thorough, with even the body pan coated. So, I decided to buy the car(s)and made a deal including the use of a lift for a year. I'm getting too old to lay on the floor and work under a car! I didn't take any pictures, but when I go pick up the car, I'll start the photo journal and publish some on here. I won't pick up the car until October, as I have several trips planned and can't really address anything until then. Besides, if I got my hands on it now, other plans might get set aside, which would not go over big with my sweet wife. I'll be back on the forum, I'm sure, to "borrow" some expertise once I really get started! "Talk" to you later.
Jmedeiros
Welcome to the love & madness!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.