Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to buy parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
First,

Hello all smile.gif

It's time for me to start ordering parts to stockpile for when the weather gets warmer and I can start working on the cars. Any leads to who I should trust my cash too?

I've heard about the problems with the places in Atlanta and Chicago. The place in CA where I met most of you is 2 for two for screwed orders. Any place else?

Thanks,
Bruce
Jeroen
Did you try Jason @ paragon products?
Paragon Products

He usually has good prices

HTH,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
German Parts and Restoration is another good place-http://www.gprparts.com/
I have never had any problems with PP so far, slow at times.
Geoff
boxstr
Depends on if you are looking for new or used parts?
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
drew365
patrickmotorsports.com has some nice trick parts for conversions and racing. Not a big inventory but what they have is pretty nice. I got Bilsteins with adjustable perches from them along with boxed trailing arms on an exchange basis.
campbellcj
I too have had several probs with the El Segundo folks. Long time customer (99) and service seemed to go downhill just recently. Probably the old "trying to grow too fast" syndrome that killed a number of "dot-bomb" outfits a year or two ago.

Anyways, it kinda depends what type of parts you need.

For bon-a-fide factory parts (new), I use Stoddard.

For bon-a-fide factory parts (used), Carquip and Ottos are two good sources, among many.

For new stuff, I have also had good results from GPR (10+ year customer) and Paragon. I do also use Performance Products sometimes, mainly for speed/convenience (I am local to them and they carry a very large inventory in an actual warehouse).

For misc race stuff, Pegasus, Coleman, Jegs, OG Racing, Sube Sports...
J P Stein
I have used mostly GPR for general parts, but branch out for specific goodies.

The best thing to do is ask here when looking for a vendor.
Since Brad is beholding to no one, we can recommend anyone we want.....except for exhaust systems wink.gif.

For the products SSI makes, no one else comes close anyhow.
Brad Roberts
Ha ha JP. This list has nothing to do with SSI. Buy what you want.

Back when I had to buy parts retail I used GPR or Zims AutoTechnic in Bedford Texas. All I ask in a sales person is that they know the 914. GPR,Zims,Patrick,HPH,Otto's all know the 914 forwards and backwards. Places like AA have a very high turn over rate and dont hire 914 people to sell 914 people 914 parts. I understand 914 parts wont support a business, but dedicate a person to just Porsche parts like GPR did years ago. Zims is a shop as well as a parts place. They will know what goes where..as well as Otto's,HPH,Patrick. Notice a common denominator ?? Shops that are also parts wharehouses ??

B
GWN7
These were new parts I ordered....In May when I bought the 72 914 I ordered a bunch of replacement steel to fix the rust. A month goes by and I get a email saying "hope your enjoying the parts you bought from us". I sent one back saying "I would if they had arrived. Any Idea when I can expect them?" Couple days go by & I get another email saying to check the update on shipping on there site. It says they will be shipped in 2 weeks, direct from factory. (this is now 2 months from when I ordered). So I send a email back and ask who screwed up? Them or the factory? No answer. Parts show up 3 weeks later.....

September, on my way home from BC with the 70 914. I stop in Calgary at a buddy's place for a visit. I use his puter to order a shift bushing set as this car needs to be upgraded badly (I call it the mystery shift car). Figure parts should arrive at my home a week after I get there. 2 weeks after I get home, I check to see order status. No order on file, so I email them and ask where my order is. I get a curt responce saying I have no orders on file. It snows the next day and I sort of loose interest in laying on my back to change bushings on cold wet concrete.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Won't know what I need for the 74 914 for a couple months (compleat carpet, front & rear trunk gaskets, hose sets (vacume & gas) come to mind)

I'm just looking for someone who will ship to my igloo up here or my po box in the USA if need be and will ship what I order in a timely fashion. And if there is a problem let me know.

Bruce

P.S. When I need a exaust, I would buy it from Brad (that is if he ever sends me pricing) wink.gif
J P Stein
Like Brad said call a whorehouse......er..... warehouse like those he suggested. You can ask them if they have the part in stock. Zims and GPR actually seem to tell the truth. I think they like repeat biddenss.

Some parts are just flat hard to locate....need RSR rocker seals.....Zims has em'....in stock, too. I bought a gas gauge from AA (yerk!) cause they had one that worked with the
914 tank sender......VDO didn't have a clue.

Start lookin' at all them effin' ads in Excellence & Pano.
Before my internet days, that is where I went....still do. It's become a habit.
bernbomb914
I have had the best service from PP, had to talk to George to get AA to complete an order, which they finally did . PWerks in Chicago was good and bad. A lot of the parts can be found at your local VW speed shops. some at lower prices. We have a lot of them in my area. But overall I have had the best service with PP usually 1 day .

Bernbomb914 cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.