Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Review my bodyshop checklist
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Hey everyone,

My car's body is going in tomorrow for a total stip and repaint, with all problem areas fixed, conversion to the street GT, and the car blasted, primered, and repainted.

I am providing the following punchlist for the body man...

I know this list is anal retentive, but I want everything looked at and the car done right. The body shop guy has restored several dozen 914s and 914-6s. He primarly works on Porsches. He knows these cars and I'm sure he'll think of things that I've forgotten.

Interesting note: He briefly owned the 916 that George at AA currently owns.

Anyways, please review and tell me if I am missing anything.

Mount the car on a rotisserie and remove the front and rear suspension and return to me so I can refinish/refurbish it.

Remove the hydraulics and the steering stuff so that we only have a bare shell!

Remove vin tag (windshield frame), mask or remove driver’s door jam vin sticker, and remove paint code plate (save paint code plate and vin tag). I will look into obtaining a new vin sticker.

Strip (blast) and reprimer the entire car.

Remove 4-clylinder engine mount supports in engine bay.

Fit and finish preparing oil tank mounting holes and oil line holes

Grind flush old relay board mounts

Check and verify integrity of bottom firewall in cockpit (near floor pan). There was some heavily scaled surface rust that I treaded and applied POR-15 to. Verify strength and rigidity. Remove and replace any questionable areas.

Weld up hole on driver’s side engine shelf.

Weld in the chassis stiffening kit

Weld on the bulkhead six-engine mount

Weld on and finish the steel GT flares

Weld on and reinforce the safety harness screw plates on the rear firewall and the floor

Drill oil line holes from the front trunk (PASSENGER SIDE), underneath the fuel tank, to the passenger side foot well, and then through the passenger side heater duct to the engine compartment

Cut an exhaust hole in the front trunk floor pan for the oil cooler shroud exhaust

Prep and fabricate for front GT hood pins. Can we use the two front rubber lid stops as two of the pin mounting points. Need to fabricate mounting points above headlights.

Weld up trunk lid luggage rack holes – they are pulled out? Or should we locate another good trunk lid?

Weld up front side marker light holes (shaved)

Fix all door dings

Weld up misc. holes for old insignia on rea

Weld up front and rear bumper shock holes (from old ’75 bumper shocks). Keep outside screw holes for each front hole for mounting the dual horns

Weld in mounting nuts for front fog lights (not standard on ’75 cars)

Weld up firewall insulating pad clip thru-holes

Weld in new driver’s side rear jack point support plate

Reinforce front sway bar mount areas in front wheel-well.

Minor rust repair (front hood seal channel)

Minor rust repair (driver’s side door sill rivet holes

Miscellaneous minor rust repair as you see fit!

Reinforce clutch tube – is something we can look check, and repair or reinforce of necessary?

Repaint the entire car including the wheel wells, engine compartment, trunks, front and rear hoods, and the bottom in the original color.
Fit, finish, and paint valences and rockers

Refinish and repaint the targa top

Reinstall the basic steering, basic hydraulics and suspension

Phew!

Thanks for your input...
ChrisReale
Looks like you have this under control.
I would also check the integrity of the rear suspension inner "ears" They have a tendency to oval.
rhodyguy
a doctoral thesis explaining/justifying this adventure to your wife and a valium to take an hour before you write the check for the final bill. you will figure out the one thing you should have done after it's all painted.

kevin
Qarl
Rhodyguy...

We have an "understanding".

She gets to build and decorate her new house.

I get to build my dream 914.

No questions are asked. happy11.gif
rhodyguy
another valium for the the final contractor and furnish bill ohmy.gif. i take it you are familiar with the term "change order". sad.gif

kevin
SirAndy
QUOTE(kellzey @ Jun 7 2003, 07:18 PM)
Weld on and finish the steel GT flares

even the steel flares are usually glued on these days.
supposedly a much better fit and stronger than spot-welding.
and doing a seam-weld will warp the fenders ...

anywayz, the list looks good cool.gif
Andy
Qarl
Oh yes... my wife LOVES change orders. wacko.gif

The last house was a real joy...

Who gets the valium, me, the contractor, or my wife?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.