Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914 VIN: 4702900608
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
I'm looking for advise on this 914 for sale. Given that this an early VIN# is it worth the asking price of $9K considering it needs to be restored. Let me know what you think.

http://bgky.craigslist.org/cto/5124318468.html

Thanks
Larmo63
It looks clean, but $9K seems too high. Have an expert do a PPI for you if possible.
PlantMan
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 16 2015, 09:15 AM) *

It looks clean, but $9K seems too high. Have an expert do a PPI for you if possible.

agree.gif
I am with Lawrence on this.
Too high and there is more rust that you cant see from the pics. I can see the ground through the floor pan which tells me there may be rust under the pedals. The jack post rust screams rust in the longs and in the hell hole too. Need to check under the battery...always a problem.
As everyone will tell you here, having the rocker panels removed for a closer inspection is very important.
green914
With the rust I see in the pictures unsure.gif - I would want to see under the rocker panels & some pictures of the hell hole. Not sure if yearly vin number is worth the asking price. blink.gif unsure.gif wacko.gif
SirAndy
The owner is a member here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=18721

bye1.gif
Chris H.
Hmmmm...yeah there's probably more rust than that...

That is an EARLY car BTW.
malcolm2
I am in Nashville, not too far from Bowling Green. My 1st drive in the 914 was to BG. Unfortunately, I am leaving town and won't be available 'til next Thursday. PM me if you can wait. I'd be willing to go for a drive and check it out for you.

Besides the 2 rust holes I saw, it looks better than what I started with, but mine was $1400. wink.gif You never know what is lurking.

Let me know.
Clark
mepstein
I don't know why you would pay more than $2-3k for that car.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 16 2015, 03:43 PM) *

I don't know why you would pay more than $2-3k for that car.

agree.gif Rust like that is only the tip of the iceberg. How good of a welder are you and/or how deep are your pockets?
Mikey914
Question,
On the vin number dior sticker. Should the pain color show through?
EdwardBlume
Get a full PPI from someone who knows 914s. $9K can go a long way if you are patient.
Jonathan Livesay
Nice early car with a lot of nice looking parts, some rare due to the low serial number. I am afraid that the whole thing is held together by paint and rust though.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 17 2015, 01:57 AM) *

Question,
On the vin number dior sticker. Should the pain color show through?

Mine does.
bandjoey
Lots of rust spots indicating lots more unseen. Kerman plate looks like it was removed? See the top left rivet hole. For $9 you can find a nice driver without restoration problems. Be patient and pick your car. beerchug.gif
era vulgaris
Car is on ebay now. Seller is claiming that that 1.7 engine is a 2.0. Bad seller! Bad!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-/15174...em=151749447378
Tbrown4x4
Seems high for the amount of rust just in the pictures. There will be LOTS more! I noticed that the door sticker seems to be held down with clear packing tape. Seems fishy, but could be innocent. Check this car out VERY closely.
Cairo94507
Replacement sticker?
euro911
Is the seller just a flipper who bought it cheap?
Porschef
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 18 2015, 05:58 PM) *

Car is on ebay now. Seller is claiming that that 1.7 engine is a 2.0. Bad seller! Bad!

With no prior eBay sales hence no feedback, I'd have to be in complete agreement.

You'd know, right? dry.gif
jim_hoyland
Keep looking......there Is a constant supply of decent 914s for sale. Find the guy who has done all the work and spent lots of $ getting it there. These projects come up for sale regularly for a variety of reasons .
EdwardBlume
agree.gif agree.gif
Consider yourself lucky for not buying this one. Zero feedback seller with no knowledge of these cars at $9K. Run.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 19 2015, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 18 2015, 05:58 PM) *

With no prior eBay sales hence no feedback, I'd have to be in complete agreement.

You'd know, right? dry.gif

Yeah, I would know. An expensive mistake to trust an ebay seller with a high 90% feedback rating, who appeared reputable and trusted on the Pelican forums (same screen name there as ebay), and that I also talked with at length on the phone. I don't want other people getting ripped off by a P.O.S. lowlife like I did. I learned a valuable and expensive lesson from all of that.
Now, an ebay seller with zero feedback and a misleading description of the car...run away! As fast as you can!
stevegm
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 19 2015, 08:51 AM) *

Keep looking......there Is a constant supply of decent 914s for sale. Find the guy who has done all the work and spent lots of $ getting it there. These projects come up for sale regularly for a variety of reasons .

I agree. They come available. I bought one last year that the owner had spent around $15,000 on. I paid less than half that. It has been nothing but a joy to finish. If you can buy a project that someone else almost finished you will do well with it. Also, I always consider every $1 I spend when buying a car, to save me $2 or $3 in later work. Buy the most car you can afford at the beginning. It will pay off handsomely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.