Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB (Want to Borrow) Ball Joint Tool for 52MM castle nut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
db9146
Anyone have a 911 ball joint castle nut socket tool I can borrow or buy or .... know of an alternative?

Going to loosen the old one with a pipe wrench but I'd really like to have a better method for the installation of the new one.

Thanks
r_towle
Pipe wrench, car on Jack stands, feet against car, pull hard, put in clip And pin, good to go.

Properly supported, I can easily pull 200 lb/ft on a three foot pipe wrench.

It's plenty tight.
db9146
Yea, I got the old one loose with some PB Blaster, a large pipe wrench and a pipe over the handle. Its more an issue of getting the new one tight....really didn't want to bugger the new nut getting it tight.

Just looking for options....and that's one.

Thanks Rich
bdstone914
This is what i use. Cost under $20 at FLAPS. Used for Dodge 4 x 4 spindle nuts. It is a little big so i line it with magnetic tape used for price lables in hardware stores.
Can be used with an impact. Have to keep it centered on the nut.
Mueller
Have you tried the local autoparts store?

I know Autozone has free tool loans, I wouldn't ask for a Porsche application, just take the part down there with you.
db9146
Bruce (bdstone914),

Thanks a lot....exactly what I needed. I had seen a reference in previous posts over at the bird board to a Dodge 4x4 tool but hadn't been able to find more info. We are "auto parts store poor" here in Atlanta....no Flaps, just Advance, AutoZone, Napa and O'Reily and everyone carries about the same stuff. Great for Hondas, Fords, and Chevys but not so for anything else.

Did a quick search and found the tool (using the W1269 P/N) new on eBay for $11.50 shipped!!

Thanks!!!
JFJ914
QUOTE(db9146 @ Jul 16 2015, 10:36 PM) *

Anyone have a 911 ball joint castle nut socket tool I can borrow or buy or .... know of an alternative?

Going to loosen the old one with a pipe wrench but I'd really like to have a better method for the installation of the new one.

Thanks

I have one you can borrow, PM me.
ThePaintedMan
We are "auto parts store poor" here in Atlanta....no Flaps, just Advance, AutoZone, Napa and O'Reily and everyone carries about the same stuff.

laugh.gif Just so you know, we refer to Advance, AutoZone, etc as "FLAPS"... Friendly Local Auto Parts Store
bdstone914
QUOTE(db9146 @ Jul 17 2015, 07:51 AM) *

Bruce (bdstone914),

Thanks a lot....exactly what I needed. I had seen a reference in previous posts over at the bird board to a Dodge 4x4 tool but hadn't been able to find more info. We are "auto parts store poor" here in Atlanta....no Flaps, just Advance, AutoZone, Napa and O'Reily and everyone carries about the same stuff. Great for Hondas, Fords, and Chevys but not so for anything else.

Did a quick search and found the tool (using the W1269 P/N) new on eBay for $11.50 shipped!!

Thanks!!!

Add some kind of shims to keep it somewhat centered. Works better than anything else I have tries. I have still had some that would not come off the heat, impact, etc. Some I drilled holes at the inside edge of the ring and went in with a impact punch to break the ring. Also have used an angle grinder to cut through the ring then a hammer and punch to work them off. Not my favorite job.

Bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.