Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs Alloys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DblDog
I'd like to have my fuchs alloys powder coated...and I've heard that the process can weaken the wheels...any thoughts?
Series9
QUOTE (DblDog @ Feb 26 2005, 07:09 PM)
I've heard that the process can weaken the wheels...any thoughts?

What? Porsche powder coats all their late model wheels.

Powder coating wheels is a standard practice. Mine are at the powder coaters right now.
Series9
Powder coated Fuchs:
Hydra
i believe the weekening refers to metal structure change, but since powder coating needs 180 degrees celsius (or 302 f) for very short periods of time (less than 30 min), there is practically no risk whatsoever.
DonTraver
What you may be thinking of is Chroming the wheels can weaken them. Not really sure if the chroming thing is real, but I've heard of that for years, something about changing the grain pattern of the metal, maybe I should have paid more attention in metalurgy class. Oh well.

Later, Don
Hydra
chroming weekening parts is a misconception too, the only thing that changes the grain structure of a metal is temperature, pressure and work hardening, and since none is not present during the chroming process, fear not.....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Hydra @ Feb 26 2005, 09:57 PM)
chroming weekening parts is a misconception too, the only thing that changes the grain structure of a metal is temperature, pressure and work hardening, and since none is not present during the chroming process, fear not.....

so that hydrogen embrittlement thing is just a fairy tale ?
anthony
Mettalurgy aside, why powdercoated Fuchs when there are so many beautiful options?
anthony
dkfkd
anthony
914 Fuch
KevinP
Powercoating won't hurt them at all. As for hydrogen embrittlement,you will see high strength steel such as quenched and tempered steels or precipition hardened steels are more susceptible to hydrogen embrittlement.

Commom causes are usually flag.gif processes like, pickling,electroplating and welding- but not limited to these processes only! However all materials are susceptible FYI.

Hope that helps...

I don't know about those RED wheels!!! But they sure catch your eye- Kinda Cool--- cool_shades.gif

KP
scotty b
QUOTE (914RS @ Feb 26 2005, 06:18 PM)
Powder coated Fuchs:

huh.gif What ever became of that car? Was it parted out or sold whole? I never saw an outcome and always wonderd. confused24.gif
Series9
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 27 2005, 07:58 AM)
QUOTE (914RS @ Feb 26 2005, 06:18 PM)
Powder coated Fuchs:

huh.gif What ever became of that car? Was it parted out or sold whole? I never saw an outcome and always wonderd. confused24.gif

It's still for sale.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I am power coating my Malies this month. I will post pictures when there done . Dave biggrin.gif wub.gif clap.gif
xitspd
We just had these powder coated in Tangerine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.