Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil change
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cpavlenko
I tried Pelican parts for a oil plug seal ring, and they can't get these anymore. Help, wherer do I get these. Any suggestions appreciated.
Drums66
......Try your local VW shop.. idea.gif (Porsche dealer,or repair shop)
bye1.gif flag.gif
cpavlenko
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jul 17 2015, 07:28 PM) *

......Try your local VW shop.. idea.gif
bye1.gif flag.gif

No lcal vw shop around here in Northern Az.
bdstone914
Porsche part number is N0138051 and description as sealing ring 12 x 18.

Porsche lists it as NLA. I found some similar nla crush washers in Wurth brand at an industrial hardware store. I will see what i can find.
rick 918-S
Same issue. Aric was assembling the type IV for the 912 and hunted through the gasket set but no joy. We ended up annealing the one he had on the drain plug and reusing it.
bdstone914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 17 2015, 08:19 PM) *

Same issue. Aric was assembling the type IV for the 912 and hunted through the gasket set but no joy. We ended up annealing the one he had on the drain plug and reusing it.

McMaster Carr part number 97725A116. Under $10 for 25. 12.2 x 17.8 size.

Anybody want to buy a box or two ? I imagine Mark Whitesell would stock some.

Bruce
cpavlenko
I've been told that u can reuse them. Is this true, cause my thinking is change them every oil change.
anderssj
They're getting pretty tough to find. Part number N-013-805.3 is NLA at the dealerships, and both of the local bug houses are sold out.

Good news is that GM cars of the 1980s used a similar part (GM PN 559563). I bought a couple at the local Chevy dealer. The GM part looks pretty close . . . a hollow crushable washer like the VW part, but copper-colored instead of silver. Also, the GM part appears just slightly larger at 1/2" inner diameter, compared to 12mm for the VW/Porsche part (about 0.25 mm difference). FWIW, the McMaster washer looks to be solid copper . . .

The Chevy parts man said that washer is also on the way out, but NAPA and Dorma both have a cross reference (NAPA is 704-1973, Dorman is 095-014). I haven't looked at either of these yet, but plan to in the future.

I'll try to remember to post a picture of the GM washer next to the VW part tomorrow (if I can remember where I put them). dry.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 17 2015, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 17 2015, 08:19 PM) *

McMaster Carr part number 97725A116. Under $10 for 25. 12.2 x 17.8 size.

Anybody want to buy a box or two ? I imagine Mark Whitesell would stock some.

Bruce

Found this DME sealing ring on Pelican. We have four in stock. Will see if I can find out if it is metal or fiber. $.75.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearc...-123-101-30-OEM
michael7810
I've been using a nylon substitute from Napa for years with good results.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 17 2015, 09:10 PM) *

Is there a cross reference for that.
TheCabinetmaker
Bughaus has them in the sump screen kit. Two screen gaskets and one aluminum crush washer. In a kit.
era vulgaris
Are you guys talking about the oil drain plug crush washer? I just bought a big bag of them.

https://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-par...r-12x18-n138052
cpavlenko
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 18 2015, 05:00 AM) *

Are you guys talking about the oil drain plug crush washer? I just bought a big bag of them.

yep, that b the part, thanks... piratenanner.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Jul 17 2015, 09:15 PM) *

I can get the PN when I return home on Tuesday. I use a Napa Wix oil filter as well because it has a smaller OD that clears the mount bar due to sandwich plate cooler adapter. I'll post both PNs next week. If you need it now Take the drain plug to Napa.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 18 2015, 06:35 AM) *

QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Jul 17 2015, 09:15 PM) *

I can get the PN when I return home on Tuesday. I use a Napa Wix oil filter as well because it has a smaller OD that clears the mount bar due to sandwich plate cooler adapter. I'll post both PNs next week. If you need it now Take the drain plug to Napa.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Jul 18 2015, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 18 2015, 05:00 AM) *

yep, that b the part, thanks... piratenanner.gif

No problem! I almost hesitated posting because I thought you guys might be talking about some other hard to find part biggrin.gif
anderssj
QUOTE(anderssj @ Jul 17 2015, 11:39 PM) *

They're getting pretty tough to find. Part number N-013-805.3 is NLA at the dealerships, and both of the local bug houses are sold out.

Good news is that GM cars of the 1980s used a similar part (GM PN 559563). I bought a couple at the local Chevy dealer. The GM part looks pretty close . . . a hollow crushable washer like the VW part, but copper-colored instead of silver. Also, the GM part appears just slightly larger at 1/2" inner diameter, compared to 12mm for the VW/Porsche part (about 0.25 mm difference). FWIW, the McMaster washer looks to be solid copper . . .

The Chevy parts man said that washer is also on the way out, but NAPA and Dorma both have a cross reference (NAPA is 704-1973, Dorman is 095-014). I haven't looked at either of these yet, but plan to in the future.

I'll try to remember to post a picture of the GM washer next to the VW part tomorrow (if I can remember where I put them). dry.gif

Pictures as promised:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Copper-colored washer is the GM part, silver one is VW/Porsche ("last of the mohicans"). As you can see, the GM part is just a little bigger. It was in a blue Wurth bin of multiple washers, but no Wurth PN (FWIW biggrin.gif ) . . .

Hope this helps!

Steve A-
DavidSweden
These are on Ebay Compression washers

cpavlenko
Well, I found some, of all the places in Prescott, I found some at, r u ready, O'Reilly auto parts. They always stock these for the VW type 4 1.7 engine. Got a hand full of them for future use. w00t.gif
anderssj
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Jul 18 2015, 04:28 PM) *

Well, I found some, of all the places in Prescott, I found some at, r u ready, O'Reilly auto parts. They always stock these for the VW type 4 1.7 engine. Got a hand full of them for future use. w00t.gif

That's good news! Do you have an O'Reilly PN?

Thanks!
bdstone914

That's good news! Do you have an O'Reilly PN?

Part # : 095-014.1 | Line: DOR
cpavlenko
Wasn't on the receipt, I'll give them a call and post it.
Mikey914
Nice find.
Yes do let me know if you can't find parts like this or if they are stupid expensive. I'm more than happy to make them if need be.
mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.