Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition setup for Mallory Unilite Distributor for 2258cc
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
I need your feedback on completing my ignition setup for a 2258cc motor. I've already purchased a Mallory Unilite Distributor, Mallory Active Power Filter and have ordered the custom MSD spark plug wires for Mallory Unilite from Tangerine Racing. I'm thinking of getting the Mallory Hifire 6AL 8353 CD Box and perhaps a Mallory Coil as well. What have you guys had success using and what do you suggest?
lonewolfe
Interestingly enough, when I went to the Mallory website I see that Mallory has been purchased by MSD. Where does that leave us?
Mark Henry
MSD or mallory they both work, it depends on your state of tune often a blue coil is all you need.

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jul 18 2015, 04:42 PM) *

Interestingly enough, when I went to the Mallory website I see that Mallory has been purchased by MSD. Where does that leave us?

Short term likely not much will change.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 18 2015, 01:51 PM) *

MSD or mallory they both work, it depends on your state of tune often a blue coil is all you need.

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jul 18 2015, 04:42 PM) *

Short term likely not much will change.

Thanks for the reply Mark. Hey, I've got a question for you and am sending you a PM.
screenguy914
Since you already purchased many Mallory components, I'd suggest ... Mallory or compatible MSD which now markets the Mallory name/line of products.

My internet search doesn't show a Mallory 6AL 8353 CD Box. It could be a very recent relabeled MSD 6AL CD box (compare images and features to confirm if you can find them). There's a Mallory HyFire 6AL2 box (6861M) that looks similar to a MSD 6AL or Crane "Hi-6" ign. box, but that's a WAG.

In addition to having a better build quality distributor, the system could also benefit from their breakerless module which eliminates the contact points. The ignition coil specs should also be compatible with the ignition box you choose to install.

I think you'll find similar features among most manufacturers, the difference would be in their individual quirks, QC and customer service responses.

Not sure whether your tach will need an adapter to work with the new components. Mallory/MSD can provide you that information as well as the tach adapter.

MHO,
Sherwood

lonewolfe
The Unilite has an optical system so no mechanical points. I got the numbers wrong for the Hyfire VI AL though. It is a 6853M model with built in rev limiter.
stugray
I have exactly this system.
Mallory Unilite with optical pickup (fromTangerine racing).
A MSD 6AL (digital) and a Bosch Blue coil.
I run the 8.5 mm MSD wires with LS1 90-degree boots at the plug end.

It hooked right up and ran the very first time.
The output of the MSD will not work with the stock Tach so you will need the Tach-Adapt product.
You will also need to reset your timing after installation.

If you have any specific question i can help out, but it was pretty straight forward.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 18 2015, 03:54 PM) *

I have exactly this system.
Mallory Unilite with optical pickup (fromTangerine racing).
A MSD 6AL (digital) and a Bosch Blue coil.
I run the 8.5 mm MSD wires with LS1 90-degree boots at the plug end.

It hooked right up and ran the very first time.
The output of the MSD will not work with the stock Tach so you will need the Tach-Adapt product.
You will also need to reset your timing after installation.

If you have any specific question i can help out, but it was pretty straight forward.

Why did you choose a MSD 6AL over a Mallory Hyfire 6AL for your setup? I guess that's what's puzzling to me. It seems one would be better to use components that were made to go together instead of mixing components from different brands. It seems the Mallory unit would be better because it has a built in rev limiter and also will work the tach without an adaptor. It seems a lot of people mix the Mallory distributor with a MSD CD BOX and I want to know why one is preferred over the other.
FlatIV
Disreguard

Andrew
stugray
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jul 18 2015, 06:59 PM) *

Why did you choose a MSD 6AL over a Mallory Hyfire 6AL for your setup? I guess that's what's puzzling to me.

Because the MSD 6AL is the exact same that my brother uses in his racecar, so we only need 1 spare at the track :-)
Mueller
For my old setup, (and Randal) we both had a LINK EFI, Mallory Unilite and MSD box.

LINK spec'd out the MSD box since it was easier to hack and modify to be driven by the LINK. I think we had to remove a resistor and replace with different value, been way too long.

It seems like MSD just had the market cornered for that particular unit so it was more popular.
Mueller
Found this while looking for a cheap used MSD or Mallory distributor.....which don't exist for the nice billet distributors sad.gif

Package deal

Slight highjack...the Type IV can use a standard Type I distributor correct?

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 20 2015, 02:41 PM) *

Found this while looking for a cheap used MSD or Mallory distributor.....which don't exist for the nice billet distributors sad.gif

Package deal

Slight highjack...the Type IV can use a standard Type I distributor correct?

Yes the T1 and T4 dizzy fitment are the same, main issues are physical size
IIRC the MSD body is too big for a T4 tinwork.

My cheap out on a Mallory is to find a good used redcap dual point Mallory, and use one set of points to fire the MSD.
You can also retrofit a set of pertronix in the old Mallory.
These are 100% exactly the same as a Unilite, except it doesn't have the optical P/U

I've done this many times, MrHyde (Mike Hyde) is running one of the moded old red cap Mallory's with pertronix, per my recommendation, on his 2300cc.

BTW points firing a MSD-AL6 will likely go 50K before they need adjusting and may never wear out. This is because firing the MSD puts very little voltage thru the points.
lonewolfe
Thank you all for your replies. I ended up ordering everything from Mallory. If the Mallory CD box fails them I'd give a MSD unit a try!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.