Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Pressure Sending Unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I noticed that when I pulled my motor apart the oil pressure sender had no washer under it and there wasn't one in the gasket kit. Does it normally have one?

Thanks
skline
I have never seen one, I just put a little plumbers tape on the threads and screw it in. It doesnt bottom out on the case.
Triaddave
there is no washer.i found an extra,extra long 90 that clears all the tin. i didn't want to kink the stainless hose line i'm using. the sender will mount towards the back of engine, on top of case at the hole that is never used
dmenche914
It is a tapered thread. One caution with Teflon tape, is that if any bits of it get in the oil system, the Teflon bits might clog one of many small oil passages, starving a part of oil, so use a small amount of the tape, and donot let any tape hang past the end of the threads, in fact, leave a couple threads at the end bare to safe guard against torn bits of tape getting in the system.

Being a tapered thread, you need to know when to stop with the torque I believe it is listed in one of the manuals. It is very easy to overdo the torque, and keep going until you have bottomed out, then it will not seal unless you washer it , or best bet is to repair with a 1/8 inch pipe thread pipe, and union.

It was even more a concern on the old Type 1 VW cases made of the softer, but lighter magnesium rather than the type IV aluminum.

Allan
QUOTE (Triaddave @ Feb 26 2005, 10:37 PM)
the sender will mount towards the back of engine, on top of case at the hole that is never used

The one I'm thinking of screws into the top of the boss that the oil cooler is mounted to. Or is that something else? confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 27 2005, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (Triaddave @ Feb 26 2005, 10:37 PM)
the sender will mount towards the back of engine, on top of case at the hole that is never used

The one I'm thinking of screws into the top of the boss that the oil cooler is mounted to. Or is that something else? confused24.gif

You are correct. The oil pressure sender is mounted on top of the oil cooler flange. What he is referring to is a flexible line screwed in there to remote mount the sender so that a gauge can be added, and not just an idiot light.

IronHillRestorations
You don't want to find out how small a piece of teflon tape it takes to damage a bearing! Use some Permatex Aircraft sealant on the threads.
Allan
QUOTE (9146986 @ Feb 27 2005, 07:35 AM)
You don't want to find out how small a piece of teflon tape it takes to damage a bearing! Use some Permatex Aircraft sealant on the threads.

That's better than the liquid teflon thread sealer?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.