Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it safe to use Eastwood Internal Frame Coating in the longs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larry.Hubby
I've been wondering if this is safe to do, since the photos I've seen of the heater tubes seem to show that they're corrugated paper on the outside with some sort of thick insulation layer under that, all around a corrugated aluminum inner tube. Seems like the conversion chemicals might attack, or at least soak into the outer covering and insulation layers and cause problems. My longs are in pretty good shape, only very little rust on the bottom of the inside, and I'd like to keep it that way. But I also want to preserve the heater function. What say the experienced rust-warriors among you?

Mike Bellis
I've never head of this being a problem.
Geezer914
I have used it in the longs and it dries very quickly. I doubt it will attack the aluminum.
nathansnathan
Outside of the heater tubes are made of paper/cardboard. That said, I don't think there would be a problem, as they're pretty thick and I think they are coated to protect them from moisture penetrating. The factory got overspray on the tubes, as they put the asphalt covers on the inside of the longs after paint.
rick 918-S
No issue with using it. It goings in very fluid to help the solids flow into the seams but the solvent evaporates fairly quickly. It will stay soft for a time while the chemicals work on any surface rust. It is a self etching product. It dried hard in a day or so. I have used it and see no issue.
Larry.Hubby
Thanks for the advice, Guys. I'll go ahead with it.
euro911
Works great in the tunnel area too aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.