Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saving weight on Street / AX car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Looks like I have a direction that I wan't to go with my car. I want a street car that is good, no make that great, AX car also. I don't want to strip it down but I am willing to do mods or changes to help make it lighter and handle better. My car is a 70 with a FI 74 2.0L with Euro P&C's & side shift with stock sway bars and koni adjustables all around.

So far the only mods I have done to shave weight from my car is get an extra set of Fuch rims to replace the stock steel rims I was using for AXing and I have lost 22 lbs myself since last season. Oh, and I don't have firewalll pad in the engine bay. I have been thinking of ordering the Getty carbon fiber lids and replacing my stock valances for fiberglass ones. Is there any other ideas you have? I plan to leave the radio in the car (got to have tunes for street driving).

driving.gif
ottox914
First things first. Find out what class you will be running in, and read the rules for car prep until you can recite them in your sleep backwards. Then start making mods. I'd be a bummer to get that carbon fiber ash tray cover and find it puts you into a much higher performance class, running against trailer cars on slicks...
VegasRacer
If you don't already have a good seat and a 5 pt harness - GET 'EM!
That can know a couple of seconds off an auto-x run when you are not fighting to stay where you belong.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (ottox914 @ Feb 26 2005, 09:13 PM)
First things first. Find out what class you will be running in, and read the rules for car prep until you can recite them in your sleep backwards. Then start making mods. I'd be a bummer to get that carbon fiber ash tray cover and find it puts you into a much higher performance class, running against trailer cars on slicks...

I run CS now but once the carbon fiber lids are on I will be in DSP. I ran in CSP last year but because I thought the eruo P&C put me in that class, I was wrong. I got first for the season in CSP against 4 other cars. I would have 1st in CS also against 3 miatas and VW ???.

I plan on a nice seat (Lemans from GTS classics) and harness, so I was thinking of simple body mods I can do.

The seat I want drooley.gif

VegasRacer
Excellent choice. That is a GREAT seat. I want one too. smilie_pokal.gif

As far as 'simple mods' - just start taking stuff off. sawzall-smiley.gif
Do you really need windshield wipers? The motor is very heavy. Same for the headlights. Toss the passenger seat. If you can live without side windows you can save even more weight. Have you got really stickey tires so you can fully utilize what power you do have?
Type 4
Want to dump 30lbs?, use a lawn tractor battery
J P Stein
Garold:
A man with a new 2005 rule book is dangerous....that would be me. biggrin.gif
You can flare the fenders, but:
Section 15.2 A
....."this does not permit modifications to chassis or bodywork inboard of the verticle plane of the hub/wheel mounting face."
....futher....."Replacementof complete hood, flared fenders, or quarter pannels is prohibited".....yada.

Your mods would put you up a step.
The next step is Prepared, F me thinks......here there be monsters.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Feb 27 2005, 07:39 PM)

Your mods would put you up a step.
The next step is Prepared, F me thinks......here there be monsters.

dry.gif well, I guess I need to rethink my plan.
J P Stein
Maybe not....I just thought you didn't need a surprise.

There is a certain freedom to running Prepared.......you can do bout anything you want. Minimum weight formula for FP is .75 X engine size in cc or 2000 X .75= 1500 lbs...Paul would have to ballast up biggrin.gif
I'm shooting for 1900lbs and ballast as required.... if I go to a tour event. biggrin.gif My legal minimum is 2050.
GaroldShaffer
Well, I don't want to strip down my car. I want it to be a street car first and AX car 2nd. I was thinking of easy weight savings by using fiberglass valances and rockers and the CF lids.

Maybe I would be better off saving some more $$ and either buying a car for already setup for AXing or a solid project to make a AX'er. idea.gif The wife doesn't care as long as I use my "mad money" for it and not the kid's college fund laugh.gif

edit: if I had enough extra $$ I would buy manfred sad.gif
J P Stein
The best my car ever did was a few 2nd TTOD at SCCA. ...I wasn't driving at the time...somewhat futher back and back & forth to the AXs. 2 TTOD at PCA, again without me. It was certainly not a touring car, but street legal. IMO, you can't have it both ways, particularily if you're running SCCA......a new Z06, maybe?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Feb 27 2005, 08:47 PM)
IMO, you can't have it both ways, particularily if you're running SCCA......a new Z06, maybe?

Ya, I guess deep down I knew that. I'm not a big vette fan but the wife is idea.gif anyone got an extra $60k I could borrow blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.