Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: questions about rear suspension, springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
background info:
-75 2.0 has 5 lug conversion, recently got my new 16" fuchs refinished and put
205/55 Bridgestone Potenza tires on them. the Rears are 7" and rubbing . the lips had been rolled under (that little edge) but there are 2 factors here- one is the spring and shock set up , and the front of the car is higher than the rear.
my rear shocks are yellow bilistein sport shocks, and springs are weltmeister and seem way too stiff and seem shorter than original.

SO i am wondering if i get new but original spec length springs, and set the circ-clips higher, -now the are on the second frm the bottom- how much higher will the rear sit? Ive heard that the original springs are about an inch longer? That alone could change it enough so that im not rubbing on that one spot? I will end up having to probably massage the inner rear part of the fender to pull it out as well, but it really sits up in there quite a ways as it sits now.
Also this would save me the trouble of trying to lower the front end.
- so any advice from the guys that have these 7" fuchs would help ,, i had read before i got them that others were able to fit them on narrow body cars but not mine- i guess i could have put 195 tires on, or go back to the 16x6" which had plenty of clearance. but now ive already messed up the fender paint- it blistered from the heat of the friction before i got out of the neighborhood headbang.gif . -
at this point i am considering Foley's rear flares. i dont want GT look,
- main point here being springs , spring length and how to get them to stand a bit straighter- will stock longer springs set higher put the rear up much higher to make a diference?
Alapone
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 20 2015, 09:31 AM) *

background info:
-75 2.0 has 5 lug conversion, recently got my new 16" fuchs refinished and put
205/55 Bridgestone Potenza tires on them. the Rears are 7" and rubbing . the lips had been rolled under (that little edge) but there are 2 factors here- one is the spring and shock set up , and the front of the car is higher than the rear.
my rear shocks are yellow bilistein sport shocks, and springs are weltmeister and seem way too stiff and seem shorter than original.

SO i am wondering if i get new but original spec length springs, and set the circ-clips higher, -now the are on the second frm the bottom- how much higher will the rear sit? Ive heard that the original springs are about an inch longer? That alone could change it enough so that im not rubbing on that one spot? I will end up having to probably massage the inner rear part of the fender to pull it out as well, but it really sits up in there quite a ways as it sits now.
Also this would save me the trouble of trying to lower the front end.
- so any advice from the guys that have these 7" fuchs would help ,, i had read before i got them that others were able to fit them on narrow body cars but not mine- i guess i could have put 195 tires on, or go back to the 16x6" which had plenty of clearance. but now ive already messed up the fender paint- it blistered from the heat of the friction before i got out of the neighborhood headbang.gif . -
at this point i am considering Foley's rear flares. i dont want GT look,
- main point here being springs , spring length and how to get them to stand a bit straighter- will stock longer springs set higher put the rear up much higher to make a diference?

I just completed this same conversion on a 75. I have same wheels same rear shocks only I went with a low 40 profile tire to help avoid rubbing. I should have gone with a 50 and addressed the clearance issues. With fender lips rolled there still needed to be some pulling done esp right rear to avoid rubbing when suspension fully compressed. If you have bilstein sports in the rear there should be a way to raise them based on the collar position holding your springs. If that doesn't help now that you have hurt the paint maybe you wouldn't mind some additional cracking when you try to pull the fenders.....anyone more knowledgeable please chime in....
DRPHIL914
thanks for you input. yes i already have cracking and some creases that will be banged out, and it was a repaint that i will be sanding off and re-doing so yes we can go ahead and get it stretched etc, but was thinking until that is done i need it not to rub so i can drive it, as i doubt i will get that done before Octeener fest!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.