Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VDO Clock Revamp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
This has probably been done before, but this was my approach today. Instead of playing with broken gears, etc., I decided to "fix" my VDO clock by eliminating all of the internals and replacing them with a battery-powered quartz movement I bought at Michael's Crafts store for $7.99. I retained the clock face and hands of the VDO so nothing is sacrificed visually. The devil was finding appropriate sized plastic straws to serve as shaft extenders, as the movement is too large to fit inside the can and is attached to the back. This was necessary anyway as it gives you easy access to the battery for changing and the clock setting wheel. The straw shafts ride one inside the other. I used foam rubber inside to give the clock face something to push against and attach to. Naturally, the can and movement had to be installed from the back of the center console fascia, then the rubber grommet, glass, and ring from the front. Installed and seems to be working just fine. First time I have had a working clock since I got the car. Pics below:

Ansbacher

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
So are you offering an exchange program?
Ansbacher
No way, just DIY advice presently. Removing the face ring on the smaller VDO instruments to get inside is just too big of a pain in the ass to want to do a lot of these.

Ansbacher

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 20 2015, 05:19 PM) *

So are you offering an exchange program?

914itis
Of you want to go further, you can reduce the 12v to 1.5 and eliminate the battery All together .
Ansbacher
I actually like the idea of having no load on the car battery via the 1.5 Energizer. But yes, that is a viable option you suggested.

Ansbacher

QUOTE(914itis @ Jul 20 2015, 06:39 PM) *

Of you want to go further, you can reduce the 12v to 1.5 and eliminate the battery All together .

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.