Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TIG Welding Sheet Metal Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Vysoc
Hello World,

I have some delicate TIG work needed above the Driver & Passenger vent holes
(inside door jam) in my project and am curious to find out what size Electrode and Wire/Stick that other TIG Welders have used. I will be cutting back to areas offering clean and good metal and welding in good sections of metal.

I just would like to know what size electrode (Thickness) & wire work best when welding on the thin 18 & 16 gauge sheet metal.

The machine I am using is a Miller Econotig with argon shielding gas.

Thanks,

Vysoc flag.gif
v82go
1/16" for tungsten and 1/16 filler should work fine, I use ER70s filler on mild steel.

On really thin 22ga (or thinner) I have used mig wire for filler

hope this helps Bob
jd74914
Those areas might be closer to 20-22 ga, 16 ga especially is pretty thick.

My go to is well sharpened 3/32" electrode with 1/16" ER70S filler rod for steel from 0.035-0.095" thick. For really thin stuff (20+ ga) sometimes I straighten 0.023"/0.035" ER70S from a MIG spool. Some of my friends use 1/16" electrode and claim it offers a little better control. I've never been a fan of it since the electrode is pretty weak and tends to break (not just the tip) if you accidentally dip and have it extended to reach into a corner.

In terms of filler sizing, you really want filler small enough that you don't need to heat it directly to melt, versus melting it with the base metal pool if that makes sense. This means the filler should generally have a diameter below the base metal thickness. If you experiment with a few different filler sizes you'll see that sometimes you might need to run the torch over the filler to heat it in addition to just worrying about the base metal. My goal is always to minimize overall heat introduction into the work (above what's required for complete penetration), so adding extra heat just to melt the filler really isn't good.

Have fun and post up some pictures! smile.gif

------Edit------
Don't mean to sound like I copied Bob; he types too fast! haha
Vysoc
Great information, thank you both very much!!

Vysoc flag.gif
914fahrer
Hello,
for delicate TIG work, I use 1mm Tungsten and 1mm Filler.I have better control
with this diameter.

Gruss Ralf

ChrisFoley
1/16" filler wire tends to chill the puddle too much on thin material.
I use .045" wire for nearly everything.
Vysoc
Thank you Gruss & Chris!!

Vysoc flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.