Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 914 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xam1954
MY NAME IS MAX HADLEY & I'M A BRAND NEW MEMBER, I AM THE SERVICE MANAGER FOR THE BOISE ACURA SERVICE DEPARTMENT, I ALSO AM A FORMER AUTOMOTIVE PAINTER (BEST HOBBY I KNOW). I'M INTERESTED ON INFORMATION CONVERTING MY STOCK 1971 914-4 TO A PORSCHE 2.7 SIX. I HAVE THE CAR & THE ENGINE, THE SIX IS A CIS EQUIPPED MOTOR. THE CAR IS COMPLETE & ORIGINAL WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE RUST REPAIRS TO THE ROCKER CLAMSHELLS & BATTERY AREAS. THE 1.7 IS A RUNNING DRIVING CAR W/STOCK INJECTION AND 82000 MILES ON IT. . DOES ANYONE HAVE A STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTION RECOMMENDATION ON DOING THIS ?
rick 918-S
Welcome, Go to the local Barns & Noble or your local book store and pick up the new issue for Excellence Magazine. They have a complete article on converting the 914 from a 4 to a 6. Then ask any and all questions here. There are several people here that have done it. wavey.gif

BTW: Pete Stout from Excellence hangs out here sometimes. And once in a while we see the cat from 9 Magazine.

Also check the top of the page for the up coming Events.

and your cap lock is on. cool_shades.gif

one more thing. Post pictures biggrin.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
jim912928
welcome!...I've also got a line on a 2.7 with CIS that needs a rebuild. I'm contemplating the same task!
Joe Bob
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Feb 27 2005, 07:57 AM)
welcome!...I've also got a line on a 2.7 with CIS that needs a rebuild. I'm contemplating the same task!

That won't be cheap....hope you got the core for near nothing.....CIS is not the easiest to hotrod.....a nice cam upgrade and a modern EFI or carbs is a good solution. The 2.7s had a stud pulling issue due to ver heating from the smog crap they put on it...time certs are the answer....once done the 2.7 is a hell of a motor..it gets not much respect from the know nothing weenies....

Unless you are doing the rebuild yourself...sometimes it's better to get someone else's project....
rhodyguy
you might want to look at the 914-6 conversion article at pelican parts for some basic information.

k
jim912928
Mikez...i'm getting a complete running motor (so all the parts are there)..just has hardly any oil pressure for free. I've rebuilt motors myself before so that I can do. And I've got too much money in my current car (ground up paint strip resto) to start over. When I finished it I'm just not happy with the anemic 4-banger.

And, I'm not concerned with hot rodding that engine..i figure going from a bone stock 1.8 to a bone stock 2.7 will be all I need!
Joe Bob
Then look for a cam regrind....20/21 or a 964 profile...it's about as radical a cam CIS can handle. If the p and c are bad....no excuse for more cubic inches.... dry.gif
Bleyseng
Turn off the caps lock....

Do a search as Brad Roberts has posted a complete list of the parts needed to do it right several times. You can email him too for it.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.