Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Wireless Network for home
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Spiffy new laptop dvd+r/w 512/60meg/wide screen $700! Damn, these things are getting good.

Anyway, it has 802.11g wifi built in. What's the best router? Have a wired hub now for 2 desktops. Would this replace that, too?
Series9
If you want to do it really easily, get an Apple Airport Express. They're only $130 and all you have to do is plug it in and you're on. I have one that I carry with me for hotel rooms that have ethernet, but not wireless.

If the other pilot has a room next to me at the hotel, he's wireless too.
ArtechnikA
i use the LinkSys WRT54G and like it.

router, firewall, wireless. configures via a web browser interface from a locally-attached computer.

enable the security stuff...
SirAndy
if you live near a starbucks, you won't need a router!

if you decide to get a router, your neighbors will love it (free internet access!) ...
wink.gif Andy

PS: did you know that all major software protocols are "PLAIN TEXT" ???
i sure hope you don't have any *smart* kids living nearby ...
Series9
Here you go. It works with both Mac and PC. Anything 802.11g.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail...dpno~448199.asp
skline
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 27 2005, 11:27 AM)

router, firewall, wireless.  configures via a web browser interface from a locally-attached computer.

enable the security stuff...

agree.gif

I have to agree with the Linksys. I have set up quite a few of them and for a home, it is perfect and cheap. Do setup the WEP so your neighbors are not pimping your bandwidth. Its not that hard, if you have any questions, give me a call. You got the number. The Apple Airport is a nice unit but the expense just isnt justified, it only has the one port for a wired computer where the Linksys has 4. I have set up many of those too.
Series9
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 27 2005, 12:33 PM)
The Apple Airport is a nice unit but the expense just isnt justified,

Expense? It's $119.
Bleyseng
Dlink from Costco or the Apple Express as you can plug your stereo into it and play itunes thru it!
Download all your favorite Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra tunes onto itunes and play your own playlists.

Geoff
serge914
I can surf via my neighbour wireless access. The only problem is that I don't know who to complain to when it get slow blink.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Feb 27 2005, 12:46 PM)
Yep. $119 is way too much money to spend for a 802.11g router. Especially one as limited as the AirPort.

Well, you get what you pay for.

I use 802.11 networks all over the place and the only ones that work flawlessly are on Apple hardware.

How is the Airport limited? It'll support 20 wireless computers, you can plug your USB printer into it and print from any of those computers wirelessly and you can play music through your home stereo wirelessly. I mean, damn, none of them do dishes.

It always amazes me how there's always time to do (buy) something twice, but never time to do it right the first time.
Aaron Cox
im on a similar widescreen wifi laptop.

we have a linkyss wireless g router. 2 comps are hardwired to it... and 3 laptops roam freely around the house wink.gif
campbellcj
I have a bunch of the Linksys stuff (home & 2 small offices) and it works well. Previously I used Netgear boxes because they "seemed" better built physically but had several hardware failures.

Linksys firmware does change frequently though and their earlier G stuff was buggy (for instance there were interoperability issues running B and G clients off the same WAP or router). So make sure you visit the web site and get any firmware or driver updates. This is probably a good idea no matter which brand you go with.
campbellcj
Oh yeah DEFINITELY enable the WEP security AND change the damn password on the router! I have tapped into so many networks left wide open and in some cases the admin password on the router was left at the default. A neighbor can not only hijack your connection but can lock you out...then you'd have to do a cold hardware reset and reconfigure everything again.
Howard
This club knows damn near everything! Thanks, all. Reviewed your comments and looked at the products. The Apple looks like the best with its go anywhere features, but the linksys at half the price sounds good for the home network. 54mbps, so should I expect performance comparable to a wired 10/100 hub?
Rand
Here's some references and prices:
Linksys Wireless Routers at CDW

I use the WAP54G

Yes, 54Mb is comparable to a wired connection... sort of. Wired connections vary greatly; 10/100/1000... the 54 fits in relative to those numbers. Plenty fast, and many times faster than your best high-speed broadband internet connection.
Bleyseng
Yep, the Apple unit is light years ahead but the PC guys still have their head in the sand, haha.

The Dlink is in the basement hooked up to the desktops while the Apple Express in upstairs in the kitchen for the music and WiFi for the laptops. I usually run the ole PowerMac tower downstairs to run the music off my fav internet radio or itunes.

I use Network stumbler all the time to sneak into peoples Wifi when I go to coffee shops or lunch. Sometimes they have free Wifi but upstairs are condos which a jump onto a Wifi network. Hooking up the Firewall is very important or I can sneak into your hardrive.hehe

Geoff bootyshake.gif
iiibdsiil
I have a linksys, it works great. At the offices though, we have been through 5 of them though. Finally said f-it and got a dell switch, no more problems there.

Make sure you put it on a good surge protector, that seems to be when they take a crap on ya.
Rouser

Ditto that, along with the high gain antennaes and antenna stand.

With the unit & stand upstairs and me in the back porch (Porsche?), I get a pretty-good signal on my Dell XPS through all the lumber & sheetrock. The wife has no complaints on her HP & Linksys wireless card.

Overall, a decent setup with all the required bells & whistles.
Series9
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Feb 27 2005, 02:40 PM)
And, what is this Mac guy versus PC guy bullshit?

In no way did I start a Mac vs PC debate. I know better around here. I clearly stated in an earlier post that the Airport works with all 802.11g devices.

I simply offered my experience.

I swear, the easiest way to start a pissing match around here is to start talking about anything where the words 'Mac' and 'PC' can be used on the same thread.
vortrex
QUOTE (Howard @ Feb 27 2005, 12:30 PM)
This club knows damn near everything!  Thanks, all.  Reviewed your comments and looked at the products.  The Apple looks like the best with its go anywhere features, but the linksys at half the price sounds good for the home network.   54mbps, so should I expect performance comparable to a wired 10/100 hub?

keep in mind your WAN link is going to be probably in the neighborhood of 1-3Mbps so having a G wireless setup at 54Mbps will gain you nothing. you will notice absolutely no difference in a B or G with such a slow WAN link.
skline
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Feb 27 2005, 02:08 PM)
Joe,

I wasn't picking on you. Just some of the other dickheads around here. biggrin.gif

That would be Me!!! biggrin.gif dhead.gif
mightyohm
I'm still telling people to go out and buy the older 802.11b Linksys routers, they are usually on sale for less than 50 bucks and they work great.

Next time I set up a home network I am hoping something better than g will be around. I don't know if the performance increase justifies the price.
r_towle
ok....

I have a longer range issue...linksys router already...but a concrete barn....first question, what is a rubber duck???

Second, does anyone know of a way to broadcast my cable signal to the barn for TV purposes...

I would like to avoid digging a trench for the cable tv line...

Rich
Rand
If you want a really simple way to expand the range on a wireless network, get one of these:

Wireless G Range Expander

Hmm. Doesn't help with the TV though.
bd1308
my family used to have a RF transmitter for cable TV. I dont remember who made it....you know what you should do? check radio-shack...
BPGREER
I just got the airport express, and it rocks!!! Apple products just seem so streamlined. I can print from anywhere in my house! Hopefully I will soon have itunes working wirelessly. I'm sitting in front of the tv on the internet right now. I tried going wireless with a pc device twice with no luck. Maybe I'm just a moron, but the mac stuff is great so far. I guess whatever works will be best. Mac stuff is expensive, but the pc stuff I have gotten has been of pretty poor quality. I dont' think you'll be sorry if you go with the airport.
r_towle
QUOTE (RandyLok @ Feb 27 2005, 08:41 PM)
If you want a really simple way to expand the range on a wireless network, get one of these:

Perfect.....

Exactly whatI need...a wireless repeater....

Thanx much.

And this will do the TV!!! Now my barn will be connected.
Wireless Cable TV

Rich
skline
QUOTE (r_towle @ Feb 28 2005, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE (RandyLok @ Feb 27 2005, 08:41 PM)

Perfect.....

Exactly whatI need...a wireless repeater....

Thanx much.

And this will do the TV!!! Now my barn will be connected.
Wireless Cable TV

Rich

If its available you better snap it up quick, there is questions at the FCC about retransmitting a TV or cable signal. Many stations have restrictions on that and it could put you in direct violation. Not trying to be an idea killer, but I would get it now while you can before they rip them from the market.
r_towle
FCC doesnt regulate under a certain distance of rebroadcasting....thats why you can run repeaters and such, as long as you dont interfere with your neighbors tv set..... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.