Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 just made me some money!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgomes
I just got done with my taxes. My 914 conversion qualifies for the electric vehicle tax CREDIT. Uncle Sam is going to give me back $1500!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOT! smilie_pokal.gif clap.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif flag.gif monkeydance.gif

Hmmm....lets see... idea.gif McMark rustoration?.....Dr. Evil interior.....downpayment on a Otmar Zilla drooley.gif
Otmar
Right on!
And I thought that was just for new manufactured ones.
Can you give a IRS pub number or some such so I can check it out?
sgomes
Well, this is where things get a little dicey.... I went to H&R Block to figure this one out. IN THEIR OPINION, under "Cost of Vehicle" on form 8834 you can put down the value that someone would have to pay to buy the equivalent vehicle. i.e the cost of the donor car plus the cost of conversion components.

I'll probably say hi to Brad in jail if we're wrong on this one.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. hide.gif
redshift
Oh my god, you aren't all just nuts, YOU'RE CRIMINALS!

laugh.gif

911 guys have never been so much trouble.

M
URY914
Of all the members here, you two are the only ones making money with these silly cars.

Good for you! smilie_pokal.gif

Paul
sgomes
Hey Otmar and anyone else who has an electric vehicle. Here is my final story. Things have changed a bit. Please note: I am not a tax professional. I don't know what the f%#@ I'm talking about. This information is for entertainment purposes only rolleyes.gif

Here is what H&R Block researched for me:

Pub 535 particularly pgs 45-46
Tax Regulation RIN 1545-AR23
IRSCode 30 and 179A

The upshot of the whole mess is that a converted car does not qualify as an electric vehicle for the purposes of the electric vehicle credit. HOWEVER, the relevant criteria for meeting the clean air vehicle deduction is that the vehicle must not meet the qualifications of the electric vehicle credit. screwy.gif And if this makes any sense to you at all you should stop smoke.gif

Soooooooo it qualifies for the clean air vehicle deduction which is $2000. It's a deduction and not a credit so that kinda sucks but at least it's not one of the itemized deductions so it doesn't get reduced if you have too many deductions. It just comes right off the top.

I need a beer3.gif
URY914
That explains it. I'm converting my car now. biggrin.gif

What about 2 hamsters in a cage driving a flywheel?
aircooledboy
Don't sweat it boys. That is a perfectly legit deduction. I do a small amount of tax law work, and I have seen this section used in similar fashion before. w00t.gif

It is an "above the line" deduction, so it comes off the top of your income before your tax due is calculated. The amount of money it puts in your pocket ends up being: "2000 x (effective tax rate)=$" smilie_pokal.gif For most folks, that would be right around $400, which is WAY more money than the rest of us will get for owning these sweet little rust seed cultures. monkeydance.gif
beerchug.gif
Otmar
QUOTE (sgomes @ Mar 4 2005, 07:57 AM)
The upshot of the whole mess is that a converted car does not qualify as an electric vehicle for the purposes of the electric vehicle credit.  HOWEVER, the relevant criteria for meeting the clean air vehicle deduction is that the vehicle must not meet the qualifications of the electric vehicle credit.  :screwy:   And if this makes any sense to you at all you should stop  :toke:

Soooooooo it qualifies for the clean air vehicle deduction which is $2000.  It's a deduction and not a credit so that kinda sucks but at least it's not one of the itemized deductions so it doesn't get reduced if you have too many deductions.  It just comes right off the top.

Thanks for the details, I'll check those numbers out.

I really don't get it.... wacko.gif
smoke.gif Wait, maybe I do...
smoke.gifsmoke.gif OK, Now it all makes sense. biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
So if you do get some sort of credit, do know that you can re-do your taxes for up to the past 3 years with no problems, it's the law.
RON S.
Congrats, smilie_pokal.gif

You are the first and prolly only among to ever make money on our 914's.

Ron
sgomes
QUOTE (RON S. @ Mar 4 2005, 10:27 AM)
Congrats, smilie_pokal.gif

You are the first and prolly only among to ever make money on our 914's.

Ron

Hmmmm..... $20k+ into the car.... ~$2k back..... hmmmm smoke.gif smoke.gif Hey you're right I did make money on this thing!!!! lol2.gif chairfall.gif smoke.gif rocking nana.gif

Just kiddin' yeah it does feel nice to get even a little bit back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.