Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 914-6 market
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iwanta914-6
Instead of getting into this discussion in a for sale thread, I figured I would start a new thread over here.

This is not meant to devalue the sixer because they are amazing and rare cars, but more of trying to figure out the market and how the value has skyrocketed and if there is a market for a $100K 914? As I said in another thread, I never thought I would see the day where a 914 hit six figures!

I wanted to quote a post from another thread, I hope the OP doesn't mind:

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 23 2015, 08:07 AM) *

You could, and maybe did, say the same thing about 356's back in the day and look where they are now? Same with early 911's. As fewer and fewer examples survive and become available, people will dig deeper to own one.

In my opinion it's hard to compare a 914 to a 356. The 356 is the "original" Porsche, the car that started it all. The 914 was (and still is by many elitist Porsche owners) considered to not be a Porsche at all even if it were manufactured in Stuttgart. The reason they are becoming so rare is that for many years they were just a fun little, often neglected, throwaway car and many just rusted away beyond repair. Those of us that love the 914 might be willing to shell out $100K for one if we have that kind of dough but lets be honest, most people with that kind of money will be looking at a 911. Sure, the 911 is so common these days and a 914-6 is something different, something if you own one, there probably isn't another one within a 100 mile radius (unless you live in certain parts of California). But once again, the people that have $100K to spend on a Porsche are looking for the perceived status that comes with a 911 not some forgotten volkswagen from the 70s. There are of course the Porsche collectors that may not have a Six in their collection yet, and collectors always pay top dollar.

For me the 914 is a car that is supposed to be driven. Not to become a trailer queen taken to concourses across the country to be inspected by white gloved judges.

Of course, this is all coming from someone in the market for a 914 that would love a six but they have become unattainable for this 9-5 desk jockey. And hats off to all of you Sixer owners, your patience and determination of buying/restoring, and caring for these cars is finally paying off, I for one am jealous that I didn't buy one back in the 90s.
sb914
popcorn[1].gif
Rav914
Remember, if you ever get lost in the woods, darkness is approaching, temperatures falling...just sit down on a log and ask out loud, "I wonder where the early Porsche market is headed"?

About 10 guys will suddenly appear, each with his own opinion and lead one to safety.
Cairo94507
I do not mind at all. biggrin.gif

Of course I understand your perspective. I have owned about 11 P-cars, 3 of which have been original Sixes. The rest were all 911 coupes. I currently have a 997.2 C4S 6 speed coupe.

When I told my wife I wanted an old Porsche she laughed at me and told me to go buy a new one. I told her there was nothing like driving the old Sixes I had. The last, my '70 Irish Green Six with a 3.0 CIS motor, she loved driving and would often take it over her daily driver. I had a company sled at the time and did not mind. She often came home with stories of embarrassing 911's to and from work. When I clarified my wish to own an old Porsche, specifically a '71 914-6, she said, "Oh".

Though she first resented the "rusted piece of crap" (it really was not that bad....) sitting in the garage, she has come to like it and looks forward to the pictures Scotty posts as the car moves forward to being like new (almost) with some minor changes I wanted to make.

For people wanting 914's, be they 4's or 6's, there just is no substitute. I am pretty sure most people playing here could afford a 911 if they wanted one and have made the decision to have a 914 instead.

It is that niche of the Porsche world that will be buying these cars and restoring them to preserve them for future generations of car freaks.

I think if someone is buying one for status, they have missed the target. The 914 has never been a status symbol. Buy a Ferrari or a Corvette ( stirthepot.gif ) if that is what is desired.

For me, after all of the cars I have owned, the 914-6 is right at the top of the list. Mid-engine cars are just the best. Nothing beats that. I suspect I am not alone in my appreciation of our mid-engined cars and it is that appreciation that will continue to cause prices to rise...... unless of course Iran decides to send a nuke our way. ar15.gif
mepstein
Option 2 is to buy a conversion car. Cheaper, often times "better" and replaceable. All the best attributes of a real 6. Might miss out on the increasing value of a 6 but obtainable and drivable today just by looking through the world classifieds. If you get tired of it, there's a good chance it will sell for what you paid or more (Porsche engines keep increasing in cost). The only real difference is a vin #.
Ferg
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Jul 23 2015, 06:45 AM) *

Remember, if you ever get lost in the woods, darkness is approaching, temperatures falling...just sit down on a log and ask out loud, "I wonder where the early Porsche market is headed"?

About 10 guys will suddenly appear, each with his own opinion and lead one to safety.

This will likely be the truest statement I read all week. I LOL'd.

laugh.gif
EdwardBlume
I expect a correction. The Euro is at 1.10 today vs 1.40 at its height. Word is the Euro could fall to 0.90 or less. That means you can afford to go on vacation in Europe again, and our cars arent so cheap anymore.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 23 2015, 11:52 AM) *

I expect a correction. The Euro is at 1.10 today vs 1.40 at its height. Word is the Euro could fall to 0.90 or less. That means you can afford to go on vacation in Europe again, and our cars arent so cheap anymore.

And it just happens that I'm going to Germany in less than 2 months for Oktoberfest!
RARE 6
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 23 2015, 08:49 AM) *

laugh.gif

Agreed. I don't love my 1970 914-6 any more now that its value is up than I did when I paid $6000 for it brand spanking new on 9/14/71. Price appreciation had nothing to do with my decision to pull it out of a 12-year rest, fire it up and do a panels off bare metal repaint and some minor mechanical refurbishment. The decision by my wife and I to do that came because we wanted it back on the road to enjoy while we could still get in and out of it without assistance.
For investors, there are better cars for speculation. For us, it's the whine of a stock flat six right behind our ears while shifting through the gears in the mountains a few weeks ago, the memories of PCA track days in the '70s and '80s, the picture of my then 3-year-old daughter behind the wheel in the pits wearing her daddy's helmet, the long road trips, the People's Choice award in Santa Fe after the first time we redid it, etc. The bucket list now is driving it to all four corners of the continental U.S. If we're lucky, we'll put another 90,000 miles on it.
That's how we'll get our "value" out of it no matter how few or how many zeros are in any market appraisal. Our kids can worry or rejoice about that. These things were designed for driving. We'll honor and enjoy that without letting dollar signs impede the view.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Jul 23 2015, 01:43 PM) *

The bucket list now is driving it to all four corners of the continental U.S. If we're lucky, we'll put another 90,000 miles on it.
That's how we'll get our "value" out of it no matter how few or how many zeros are in any market appraisal. Our kids can worry or rejoice about that. These things were designed for driving. We'll honor and enjoy that without letting dollar signs impede the view.

Now that is how it should be! Not many of these are on a single owner, so your's is one special Sixer!
stevegm
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Jul 23 2015, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 23 2015, 08:49 AM) *

laugh.gif

Agreed. I don't love my 1970 914-6 any more now that its value is up than I did when I paid $6000 for it brand spanking new on 9/14/71. Price appreciation had nothing to do with my decision to pull it out of a 12-year rest, fire it up and do a panels off bare metal repaint and some minor mechanical refurbishment. The decision by my wife and I to do that came because we wanted it back on the road to enjoy while we could still get in and out of it without assistance.
For investors, there are better cars for speculation. For us, it's the whine of a stock flat six right behind our ears while shifting through the gears in the mountains a few weeks ago, the memories of PCA track days in the '70s and '80s, the picture of my then 3-year-old daughter behind the wheel in the pits wearing her daddy's helmet, the long road trips, the People's Choice award in Santa Fe after the first time we redid it, etc. The bucket list now is driving it to all four corners of the continental U.S. If we're lucky, we'll put another 90,000 miles on it.

Amen to that.

To the OP's question - yes there is a market for a $100k 914. The one John Forbes found in a barn with 5,000 miles was scheduled to go on the auction block at Amelia in March. It was pulled off the auction roster the day before the auction and sold to a private party. From what I understand it was north of $100k. But that is a special car to say the least. With so few sixes built, they were always destined to go up. Even in the 80s there was a sense that they were a little different in that regard. Regardless, I have mixed feelings about the appreciation. And besides I won't benefit. My kids can worry about it after I'm taking a dirt nap. I'm here to enjoy the six's tone as I try to hold myself in the seat through the twisties.
GeorgeRud
I'm very fortunate to have choices, my original '70 914-6, a '73 914-6 conversion, and a '84 911 Targa. Values of the cars were never the main consideration, the fun of driving was. I rolled away with my new bride in the original -6, spent many great years converting the '73 to a big engined -6, and enjoy the comfort and EFI of the 911 around town. On a nice sunny day, I love driving all my girls!

The price appreciation of the original -6s actually makes me more concerned about driving it. However, if someone wants the ultimate 914-6 experience, a well sorted -6 conversion with a bigger engine will put a giant grin on anyone's face.

Regardless, enjoy what you drive in good health! driving.gif
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 23 2015, 06:11 AM) *

Instead of getting into this discussion in a for sale thread, I figured I would start a new thread over here.

This is not meant to devalue the sixer because they are amazing and rare cars, but more of trying to figure out the market and how the value has skyrocketed and if there is a market for a $100K 914? As I said in another thread, I never thought I would see the day where a 914 hit six figures!

Those of us that love the 914 might be willing to shell out $100K for one if we have that kind of dough but lets be honest, most people with that kind of money will be looking at a 911. But once again, the people that have $100K to spend on a Porsche are looking for the perceived status that comes with a 911 not some forgotten volkswagen from the 70s.

Not sure the above makes any sense, if someone has the dough to buy a nice 914-6 at $100k and wants to own one he will buy it. If they have the dough for an early 911 and want one they will buy it. If they have the dough and want to own both they will buy both.

Not sure what your point is other than complaining about the cost of a nice 914-6 today. The days of owning a nice 914-6 for $50k have come and gone.
toolguy
A friggin fully loaded Ford or Chevy truck is $50-60K these days and will only go down is value and Chevy is selling them every day.

If you're thinking economically, the only way to own a Six is to restore one yourself, but then you're going to get sticker shock at the cost of real Six parts. .

When you figure in the cost of a starter Six {The severely challenged one on EBay that just sold for 33 large is a perfect example of the condition of entry level six's out there and their prices] .
Hard to start at $33k knowing it's going to take another $30k plus in parts to finish it properly. . so you're going to be in it for $65k plus a couple of years of your life in labor. $75k for a finished car is going to seem like a bargain in a few more years at the rate prices have changed constantly over the past 10 years.
Hank914

These things were designed for driving. We'll honor and enjoy that without letting dollar signs impede the view.

I bought my /4 from a guy who bought it 12 months old in his mid-20s and sold it to me 42 yrs later, after his retirement. Must have been a successful mid20s dude to afford that car then, even more so a /6 owner. Not many original owners around, but glad that they are still getting in and out of them and that they are being driven and not just parked.

And to answer the OP, $100K is just a number, just like $150K and $200K, both of which somebody will pay for a 6 sometime in the future. Why will they? Because they want to and they can!
iwanta914-6
Complaining, yeah maybe a little bit.

I just never saw the 914 (in any variation) as a "collector car" that the wealthy would be interested in dropping $100K+ on. Of course for any real car collector, $100K is nothing when the big collectable cars are going for $15M+.

So, I guess in the end it just hurts for me personally to come to terms with an original six being no longer in the cards. All I know is I better get in the 914-4 game sooner than later!
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 23 2015, 06:11 AM) *

In my opinion it's hard to compare a 914 to a 356.

The problem with comparing the 356 to a 914 is they made over 100,000 914's, compared to about 75,000 of the 356's, and most of the high numbers were B/C Coupes, so the early cars and speedsters you are talking really low numbers. This is why the 914/6 has sky-rocketed, it too is very low numbers. Probably why the 944 Turbo will be valuable, as will the 928S4, but the regular ones, while pulled up by the greater market will not achieve super-star status. But it doesn't make them any less cool or fun to drive. In fact, it's probably a blessing, if they all shot up into the stratosphere, most guys couldn't afford them. It's like wanting a Speedster now, you better be rich, or do what I did and start cutting up a coupe, break out the welder and get busy!
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 24 2015, 10:41 AM) *

Probably why the 944 Turbo will be valuable,

Please don't tell me the 944T is going to be valuable! I had an opportunity to by the one my dad had after he bought his first 911. But I was 19 and he wanted me to give him $8K for it. It was on it's second motor and 150K miles. I loved driving it around though. He ended up selling it to a club member that converted it to a track car...
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 24 2015, 07:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 24 2015, 10:41 AM) *

Probably why the 944 Turbo will be valuable,

Please don't tell me the 944T is going to be valuable! I had an opportunity to by the one my dad had after he bought his first 911. But I was 19 and he wanted me to give him $8K for it. It was on it's second motor and 150K miles. I loved driving it around though. He ended up selling it to a club member that converted it to a track car...

I do think a nice example of a 944 Turbo will be worth some money. The attiage normally holds true, if it was hot when it came out, it will remain so.
Rav914
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 24 2015, 08:30 AM) *

So, I guess in the end it just hurts for me personally to come to terms with an original six being no longer in the cards.

Honestly, it's what Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right".

If you want an original six, make a plan, think about it night and day, modify as necessary, be positive, know that you already own it (it just hasn't arrived yet), and you'll get one. The money, the car, and the opportunity will line up. It may take years, but it will.

I'm not trying to be preachy, but this is how I go through life and things have worked out well. Still working on that barn find '73 Carrera RS lightweight, but you never know....
somd914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 23 2015, 11:02 AM) *

For people wanting 914's, be they 4's or 6's, there just is no substitute. I am pretty sure most people playing here could afford a 911 if they wanted one and have made the decision to have a 914 instead.

I'm fortunate to have both. My teener is 2056 with a 911 front end. My Carrera is chipped, sport exhaust, and lowered bringing back up to par with its Euro brothers. I enjoy them both for separate reasons. If I had to choose one, I hate to say it I would likely go for the 911 - for me the 911 was a car I lusted over since the mid-70's when I started taking an interest in cars.

But would I go for an original six? Perhaps from a potential investment perspective, but not from a driving perspective. My 2056 offers as much or more in the power department, has a weight advantage, and with the 911 front end handling/braking is right up there. Best of all I can afford to drive and not worry about it.

But if I had to choose one based on nothing but driving pleasure, well, I'd sell them both and buy another Elise to keep my wife's Elise company in the garage - I know, I'm speaking blasphemy. But, the appeal of both 914 and 911 go beyond driving pleasure aspects - the history, nostalgia, and trips down memory lane attract me and don't see selling either of them.
euro911
While you're searching for that '6', you can always find a decent, affordable '4' to enjoy in the interim. You can do some amazing things with a T4 motor and not break the bank.

A lot of us would love to have a nice original 914-6. The sound of a good running carb'd flat '6' is pretty sweet, but I'm quite happy with a 2056. It may not have the pedigree, but it has more HP and torque than an original '6'. It's still a lot of fun to drive, maintenance is easier and I don't worry too much when I have to park it while out running daily errands.

I'll agree though - if there's something you truly desire in your life, and you keep it in you heart and mind, it's almost guaranteed that you'll achieve your goal.

shades.gif
gereed75
The six market is no different than any market...it is driven by supply and demand. We know what the supply side looks like, it is the demand side that is harder to figure.

So the question is, what is the demand for the 1700 to 2000 (my quesstimate) sixes that are left??? If there are more than 2000 people out there that just have to have a six (because they are nostalgically attached, or because they lust for the sound of the six working behind them, or they are drawn to the engineering, or because they need one for their collection, or because they think it is a great investment), Then the price will go up. If there are less than the 2000 six wanters, the prices will flatten and ultimately recede.

It is my opinion that we are some what near the balance point right now, the supply is just about meeting the demand.

The two factors that could increase the demand (IMHO) are a change in the Euro exchange rate and a boost in the lust factor (Magnus, are you out there??).

I also suspect that the early 911 in in a very similar circumstance.... all of those who really want them and can afford them, have them.

(except for the VERY special cars) .
somd914
Not Porsche, but related... A friend with an '89 Testerossa sent me this.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/201...-investor-favor
laflaur
Interesting discussion, I have been thinking of selling my car and I was thinking of asking 30k for it. In my mind a non numbers matching car, even a factory six, is only worth slightly more than a well done conversion. An original matching numbers car is another story, those will be the high dollar cars of the future. Mine is great fun to drive and I love it, but as I get older, I find myself looking at Caymans....
Annapolis914
Going back to supply / demand - there are not enough 914-6's available to meet demand. I am not sure there are enough driver quality 914's of any model to meet coming demand. This is why prices have gone up and will continue for the next 10-15 years. Aging "Boomers" will buy classics, including 914's.......all years and models. All marketing data supports that they will spend on whatever they want to own, unlike prior generation, and they want the Porsche brand. Porsche knows this and has shifted their business model slightly to better support classics and generate revenue in this channel.

Not saying it is good or not good, but this is the trend for the foreseeable future.

Have owned other Porsche vehicles in the past, being a newbie 914 owner has given me a true appreciation for the look and feel of this funky car. Just wish I had purchased earlier.
ripper911
This is why I'm not even considering selling my 911, I wouldn't be able to afford another longhood anytime soon. I'm lucky to have bought it 15 years ago when they were still cheaper.
stevegm
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Jul 24 2015, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 24 2015, 08:30 AM) *

So, I guess in the end it just hurts for me personally to come to terms with an original six being no longer in the cards.

Honestly, it's what Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right".

If you want an original six, make a plan, think about it night and day, modify as necessary, be positive, know that you already own it (it just hasn't arrived yet), and you'll get one. The money, the car, and the opportunity will line up. It may take years, but it will.

agree.gif I always wanted a six. My wife always wanted a 356. When we were at the Amelia Island concours this past March, as we looked out at all the 356s I reminded her that she always wanted a 356. She quickly reminded me that we have 6 kids and the ship sailed long ago on a 356 being "affordable." At least for our family. We then turned around and noted that every 914 in the concours was a six. We decided that it was time to buy one or we eventually wouldn't be able to afford one (just like the 356). As it turned out we found a car. In my opinion, it redefines "rough." But, its a six. We bought it while we could. If you look enough you can find them. I know of a couple others. They are out there. if you want one bad enough, you can find one that is "affordable." Just be prepared for a long, expensive, restoration.
euro911
QUOTE(laflaur @ Jul 25 2015, 07:31 AM) *
... but as I get older, I find myself looking at Caymans....
As our US dollar devalues and taxes increase, I find myself looking at the Caymans too ... the Islands shades.gif
iwanta914-6
I guess, I should get my ducks in a row sooner rather than later to at least find something, because the prices seem to be rising fast on all models. Seeing junkers sitting in fields with people wanting $2K for the rusted out shell on craigslist is freaking me out.

The reason I need to wait until spring is because that's when my daily driver is paid off, I figured then I could start looking for something fun to drive on weekends.

Not sure if my wife would like a project car taking up space in the garage, but it would be fun (but expensive) to go through the restoration process...

I'm not a man of many means, so paying more than $15K for a fun weekend car just doesn't make sense. I'm not looking for an investment, I just want the experience, and I want the mid engine experience. In all honesty, I'd settle for a 1.7L, a 1.8., or a 2.0L. When it comes down to it, I just want a nice fun little 914.

Of course, I may not even fit in one and all of this could be for nothing, lol.
euro911
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 25 2015, 09:51 AM) *
I guess, I should get my ducks in a row sooner rather than later to at least find something, because the prices seem to be rising fast on all models. Seeing junkers sitting in fields with people wanting $2K for the rusted out shell on craigslist is freaking me out.

The reason I need to wait until spring is because that's when my daily driver is paid off, I figured then I could start looking for something fun to drive on weekends.

Not sure if my wife would like a project car taking up space in the garage, but it would be fun (but expensive) to go through the restoration process...

I'm not a man of many means, so paying more than $15K for a fun weekend car just doesn't make sense. I'm not looking for an investment, I just want the experience, and I want the mid engine experience. In all honesty, I'd settle for a 1.7L, a 1.8., or a 2.0L. When it comes down to it, I just want a nice fun little 914.

Dude, $15k (or less) will buy you a really nice well sorted car with a 2.0L or possibly a 2056 (or even bigger) - and ready to drive away. You might even be able to find a decent 6 conversion for $15k ... you just have to be at the right place at the right time.

As for fitting in it, there are guys over 6' that fit just fine ... I'll let them chime in on that subject ... I'm only 5'6" laugh.gif
Hank914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 25 2015, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 25 2015, 09:51 AM) *

Dude, $15k (or less) will buy you a really nice well sorted car with a 2.0L or possibly a 2056 (or even bigger) - and ready to drive away. You might even be able to find a decent 6 conversion for $15k ... you just have to be at the right place at the right time.

As for fitting in it, there are guys over 6' that fit just fine ... I'll let them chime in on that subject ... I'm only 5'6" laugh.gif

agree.gif

I'm 6' 2" with a longer torso than normal. These cars can fit taller guys.
Steering wheel might be a bit large and bother your leg/gearshift position, so a smaller wheel might be an idea. Mine is stock and I only noticed it after 2 years because somebody here commented.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.