Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FRONT BUMPER RUBBER STRIP.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chazt74914
When restoring my '74 I found the top rubber strip on the front bumper was loose.
when removed I found most of the studs and the metal strip that was molded in were all rusted through.
Has anyone else found this and how did you re-fasten the strip to the bumper?
Are there any glues out there that is strong enough to hold it in place?
Looking for ideas.
CHAZT
Tom_T
Common problem, & it means it's time to get another one, because it's all rusted up inside the rubber strip all along & will eventually crack & come apart.

There are several choices out there ranging from buying another used one in better shape, or a cosmetic fiberglass top strip, to a new repro one from 914Rubber/Mikey914 on here, AA, & several other 914/Porsche parts vendors out there.

It depends on your budget & use for the car.

If you try to glue it to the metal bumper, it probably won't adhere well - or will be a PITA to remove when you need to - & will probably cause rust runs down the bumper & body as the inside rots away.

welcome.png

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cairo94507
Mikey914 is probably the best replacement option available.
malcolm2
1. spend $300 plus on a new bumper top
914rubber.com

or

2. get lucky and find a used one for cheaper.

Either way, it costs $$$ or time and trouble to find a decent one. Some replacement ones are fiberglass also from 914rubber.com. Just another consideration.
Cj Honeycutt
Yes, very common problem due to age of cars and material selected by Porsche for internal structure of rubber strip.

We just received a new front and rear from 914 Rubber (for the '74) and they are beautiful ! Also have a much better internal structure so the issue with the originals will never happen with these.

Could not be happier with the look and quality of the 914 Rubber product.

CJ
Cj Honeycutt
Just saw two posts down "Mickey" (914 Rubber) is offering BOTH shipped for $500.00 on a group buy. Get it now if you can !!!
Dave_Darling
Some have had success by drilling out the old studs and epoxying stainless M6 bolts of the appropriate length in their place. It won't last forever, as the metal structure inside the bumper is rusting and will continue to do so, but it can work for a few years.

Or just get a new one from Mikey!

--DD
JPA914
I just did this today! The rubber on mine was actually in pretty good shape so I decided to repair it. I drilled through the old broken studs with a smaller bit in order to leave some of the metal in place (be careful as the stud does not extend very deep into the rubber and it's easy to break through). I then simply found a hex head sheet metal screw that fit and it worked like a charm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.