Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help for the Married Guy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
polarismountain
screwy.gif If you’re married and seeking a Porsche 914, you may find your wife has few objections to the idea. (What, are you insane?) Therefore, here’s a list of ready rebuttals to answer ten of the most 10 common objections…

1. We can’t afford a Porsche.
It’s really just a VW with a sports car body..like the Karman Ghia.

2. It’s so ugly.
I’ll get a cover for it.

3. It’s a stick-shift.
You don’t have to drive it…besides, you said it was ugly.

4. It’s too small. SUV’s and trucks will run right over you.
A smaller car makes for a smaller target.

5. It only seats two people.
Exactly. Imagine long, romantic drives in the country without the kids.

6. We can’t afford to insure it.
Now we qualify for the multi-car discount.

7. Restoring it will be expensive.
(See response # 1- it’s really just a VW, etc.)

8. It’s so old it doesn’t have airbags.
Actually, the 914 pioneered the development of the modern airbag with its high-pressure pneumatic frontal impact absorption system (you and I know that’s the spare tire, but she doesn’t need to know that.)

9. It’ll just become another one of your obsessions.
Nonsense…it’s just a car. (Remember to hide the books, the catalogs, the 2” binder full of website print-outs, the Porsche coffee mug and key chain, the vintage poster from Ebay, etc.)

10. You just want one because you’re going through a mid-life crisis.
That’s exactly why a need a mid-engine car.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck! (Chuck)
Rhodes71/914
Lucky for me my wife was the one that wanted to get the 914.

Now I am obsessed.
Trekkor
Very helpful.
welcome on board wink.gif

KT
scottb
i went with #10....

i told my wife i wanted a 914 for my 40th birthday and she was hesitant... so i said it's either a 914 or a 24 year old blonde.. aktion035.gif

to which she responded "does that mean you will leave me alone?" tough broad!

needless to say my wife and i have a great relationship (and yes i did really say the comments above) and i ended up with a 914. she doesn't really like but doesn't hate it either. she does however love the fact that i love the car and enjoy working on it and the commeraderie (sp?) of those with the same passion.

PS: should have gotten the blonde, she would have been cheaper and i would have been over it by now!!!!!
serge914
QUOTE (polarismountain @ Feb 27 2005, 12:55 PM)

10. You just want one because you’re going through a mid-life crisis.

Ive hear this one a few times. I always answer that most of my friends waste their mid-life crisis energy chasing teenagers; she is quite lucky that I spend it on my teener. wink.gif
scotty914
ins wont be an issue, collecters ins is less then 100 a year

as for becoming and obsession, tell her its better than watching sports, and she gets to control the remote

as for it being too small, tell her it has 2 trunks, and take her to see one

as for cost, it like buying another car, and then not having a car payment... honestly even working on is cheaper than a car payment

as for looks take her to see one face to face

and you seem to have the other covered pretty well
Alison Baker
Hey we have 3 right now and I keep asking my hubby for another one....They are so much fun to drive.......

AND .....we are getting another one in the next few days
iiibdsiil
My ex used to get pissed when I would come to pick her up in it, her fat ass didn't fit in the Sparco Juniors very well. Oh well. She's gone, cars still here, although I'm not sure which is cheaper or more tempermental (sp?). I bought it from her dad, so he was always tell her to shut up and get in.

I drove it to her house for Senior Prom, she didn't know that I arranged with her parents to drive their Audi A8L to dinner and to the prom, so she was PISSED to say the least.
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (iiibdsiil @ Feb 27 2005, 04:41 PM)
her fat ass didn't fit in the Sparco Juniors very well.

Hmmm. Musta messed with your corner balancing too!

Cole monkeydance.gif
TheCabinetmaker
All my girlfriends loved my 914 till they became my wives. The cars are still here. They are history!

Oh yeah, I don't let anyone with a big ass in the car.
redshift
Divorce her, but don't just divorce her, fill a UHaul with all the stuff you want, and get the hell out of there, then divorce her.

huh.gif

Hey, I've never been married, and I never had this problem, so lay off!

mad.gif

Don't ask then!

M
Michael N
i convinced my wife that i bought "HER" the 914 and it is "HER" car. Now when I buy parts like Koni sports, brake up grades, etc... it is all so "SHE"LL" enjoy "HER" car more.

I hope "SHE" never decides to sell "HER" car!!!!! ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
iiibdsiil
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Feb 27 2005, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (iiibdsiil @ Feb 27 2005, 04:41 PM)
her fat ass didn't fit in the Sparco Juniors very well.

Hmmm. Musta messed with your corner balancing too!

Cole monkeydance.gif

Yeah, well, I would be able to tell because I got smacked everytime I tried to drive it normal with her in the car. I had to go into what I call grandma mode, what everyone else considers normal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.