Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PDR on teeners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arkitect
I was recently going thru youtube videos searching for PDR tools due to a tv advertise or car show don't remember which. Interesting process for removing dents without having to do the body work repair and paint.

Is this only for newer cars where the metal is thinner or can this method be used on our older cars?

I know the access had to be there like thru a tail light opening or behind a interior removed panel. Any experts out there on this type of repair?

Dave
thelogo
Not a n expert beer3.gif

But had a tiny spot done on my door

Had access from behind door

Guy did a ok job but used building primer instead of the car stuff

However body shop where I had it painted ,30 years experience
And featured in hot v w magazine

Said only certain dents should be done p d r

And that I wasted 150 $ having it done because anything that
Will need paint matching will need to be gone over from body shop

So he reccomends p d r for only spots that are hardly noticeable
And are not scratched

bye1.gif
Andyrew
Dave,

What do you need done?
arkitect
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 23 2015, 08:32 PM) *

Dave,

What do you need done?

Hey Andrew,
I seen the tools which led me to the procedure that looked pretty cool. thelogo is right, damage can't have any breaks in the paint. The videos I seen, the repairs came out pretty good but they are able to pick the right ones also.

My teener is ok but my son's got a pretty nice horizontal crease right behind the passenger door.

Dave
Andyrew
Newer cars say less than 15 years old they can do pretty cool things on dents that dont have physical creases. Older cars there is typically so much bodywork that has already been done to it that it makes it difficult to do. Plus thicker metal is more difficult to form back.

Take a picture of the damage, We can probably tell you if its PDR material or not..
somd914
I had a good size ding on my '84 911 fender removed via PDR. While there the tech found two other minor ones on the fender - had to look hard but were there. $75, came to the house, can't find the dings now, great deal.

As for tools, the shop who did mine projected a grid onto the fender to find the distortions and to determine when they had been corrected.

I haven't had much luck on some of our newer car's door dings - crash support members running through doors prevented access to the ding areas.

And with a ding on my DD that had fractured paint, compliments of a hotel valet who paid for the repair, none of the shops wanted to remove the ding then paint - just fill then paint - cheaper and easier.

jim_hoyland
I used PDR several months ago on the 914. I could see 2 small dents ; when the tech put the light on the body there were 2 others that had 't been noticed.

They have all the tools and do very good work beerchug.gif
arkitect
It sounds like its possible even with our older thicker metal cars, the case I threw out was not a good example because the main car color is silver and it has some replacement doors on it that are blue. Needs a respray.

I will take a picture later today and post.

Dave
gryphon68
The real trick is to find the best PDR guy in your area. A lot of dealerships (new and used) farm out that work to the really talented PDR shops. Ask around, the cream will rise to the top.
76-914
My neighbor is in this business and does a few of the dealerships cars. He's worked on a '68 Ghia w/o a problem. But if yours is creased or on a ridge then your probably SOL.
ConeDodger
I had PDR done on a deck lid dent. Works. biggrin.gif
campbellcj
I learned another dad at our daughter's school has been doing PDR since the 90's and he just did a couple small door dings on my 997's rear fender. It only took him a few minutes and now I truly cannot find where they were.

These dings were tiny enough where I half thought I was silly for even worrying about them, but they bugged me. The PDR guy got out of his car and instantly spotted them from 10-15 feet away. Then after fixing those, he proactively scanned for other dings before taking off. A real pro.
Cuda911
Last year I was getting my helmet off of a shelf in the garage and it slipped out of the bag and fell right onto the hood of my 914. DOH!!!

I took it to a PDR guy and he did a great job.
steuspeed
My experience with paintless dent removal:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=tom+black

I found my guy on Craigslist. Like others have said, the work is farmed out to these guys by dealers and body shops.

http://paintlessdentrepairportland.com/

arkitect
QUOTE(arkitect @ Jul 24 2015, 05:18 AM) *

It sounds like its possible even with our older thicker metal cars, the case I threw out was not a good example because the main car color is silver and it has some replacement doors on it that are blue. Needs a respray.

I will take a picture later today and post.

Dave

Well so much for that goal.

Good to know we have a resource for when those accidents occur. Just need your local PDR professional.

arkitect
Finally got around to getting a picture. Hard to tell in the afternoon light but it's like a double crease that gets worst when it hits the door jamb.

Probably could get most of it out.

Dave

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Not that close to the door jamb. That needs serious finishing, probably even a slide hammer.
arkitect
Check out the longs, he has a good condition 71.

Dave
Andyrew
Very nice!!

That would make a great project!
relentless
I recall seeing a PDR kit that used a ball bearing and magnetic tools. It looked pretty cool - the ball bearing was on the outside so the PDR guy could see exactly where the tool was applying pressure.
arkitect
QUOTE(relentless @ Jul 26 2015, 01:03 PM) *

I recall seeing a PDR kit that used a ball bearing and magnetic tools. It looked pretty cool - the ball bearing was on the outside so the PDR guy could see exactly where the tool was applying pressure.

Yes, I did see that tool. Thought it was a great idea, you would know exactly where you are applying pressure. Then I seen some negative posts about the system. Don't recall the reason(s).

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.