Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lost my dash lights and the headlights won't go down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Wondering if it could be my light switch?
Mike Bellis
Could be the switch but try spinning the fuses in the fuse holder first to make sure they are making contact.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 25 2015, 11:40 PM) *

Could be the switch but try spinning the fuses in the fuse holder first to make sure they are making contact.

Forgot to mention, fuses and board were upgraded last year, so they are blades.
DRPHIL914
More interesting information- got up this morning and the headlights went down on their own! Dash lights don't work still but everything else does. Lights go up and down. Fog lights work. I have the j-west flasher upgrade. So again I am thinking it is a issue with the switch itsself. I had a switch go bad before and had a similar result. Anyone with an extra? Or where is best place to order a new one?
rhodyguy
Weird.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 26 2015, 12:05 PM) *

Weird.

Well , trying to check fuses in the dark I misses number 9, I rechecked this morning and I found that #7 was tripped. That fixed the dash lights but it does not explain the headlights not going back down but being there on their own this morning.or the reason for the fuse to blow in the first place. I suspect a short in the switch or the l.e.d.lights in the gauges that were done by AL Garcia. Might need them to be redone by Tim at some point.
pvollma
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 26 2015, 12:13 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 26 2015, 12:05 PM) *

Weird.

Well , trying to check fuses in the dark I misses number 9, I rechecked this morning and I found that #7 was tripped. That fixed the dash lights but it does not explain the headlights not going back down but being there on their own this morning.or the reason for the fuse to blow in the first place. I suspect a short in the switch or the l.e.d.lights in the gauges that were done by AL Garcia. Might need them to be redone by Tim at some point.

I had a similar problem with my JWest upgrade, unusual things not working well after it had been installed. Turned out that one or more of the leads on the upper side (other side from the fuses) had been pressed down enough to short out on the mounting plate itself. Shop dropped the panel, bent the offending leads back up, and insulated the panel where they might contact it, and it's been fine ever since.
rhodyguy
Have you tried turning the headlight knob to make sure it didn't accidentally get spun to full dim?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 26 2015, 01:01 PM) *

Have you tried turning the headlight knob to make sure it didn't accidentally get spun to full dim?

yep, i also while replacing the offending fuse, dropped the fuse panel, pulled the switch to check contacts and wire connections. I have a strip of protective rubber between the back of the panel and the body to help prevent any shorting out there.
i have had shorting out before on the back of one of the gauges, and still wonder if that is what i am seeing again. I may pull these gauges and give the going over by Tim to do his LED upgrade. i just think the way Al did it by piggy backing the contacts may be not the best way and i know for a fact that is were i have tripped this fuse before- just never had the headlight thing before- the dash lights are not on the same circuit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.