Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm wondering if my interior is factory original
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bagpype
I bought my 71 recently. And after a battle with the transmission linkage adjustment it is finally on the road. I bought it from an old lady who bought it in 1988 and put it in her car port and literally never drove it one foot. I do know that she had it painted but I'm not sure on the interior. The dash has one miniscule crack and the rest of the interior looks incredible. How can I tell if it's ever been restored inside?
mepstein
looks origional to me except for the floormats and steering wheel cover. Congrats.
Rav914
Let's see the rest of it!!

Seat belts look original. My '70 had the same interior. Looks just like it and it was original.
Bagpype
Thanks for the replies! The rest of it is covered in white paint put on poorly and is cracking and peeling in spots. It is covering the original paint. I wish there was a way for me to just take the white paint off and keep the metallic gold that's under it. I'd give it a 5 out of 10 on the exterior. I'll post pics of the outside tomorrow.
Bagpype
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 26 2015, 08:47 PM) *

looks origional to me except for the floormats and steering wheel cover. Congrats.

The leather on the steering wheel is separated. Since the rest of the interior appears to be original, what do you think I should do about the steering wheel?
mepstein
QUOTE(Bagpype @ Jul 26 2015, 09:16 PM) *

The leather on the steering wheel is separated. Since the rest of the interior appears to be original, what do you think I should do about the steering wheel?

Send it to Dallas custom steering wheel. They charge about $320 but do a great job.

I have 2 - 71's and really like the look of the early cars
Bagpype
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 26 2015, 09:30 PM) *

Send it to Dallas custom steering wheel. They charge about $320 but do a great job.

Nice! What is that "pad" on the floorboard of the passenger side?
mepstein
QUOTE(Bagpype @ Jul 26 2015, 10:06 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 26 2015, 09:30 PM) *

Nice! What is that "pad" on the floorboard of the passenger side?

The stock footrest came on early cars, 4's and 6's, before Porsche switched to a sliding passenger seat. You can usually find a decent one for $75-150.
walterolin
I think the steering wheel wrap is OEM, I have the same on my '70-4 and I've owned it since 1977. And I have the original foot rest. Pretty much worthless, no one ever uses it.
Dave_Darling
The steering wheel wrap shown here is a common aftermarket cover that has been available for decades. Not original.

--DD
Cairo94507
Steering wheel wrap is definitely not original. That is an inexpensive aftermarket wrap. The seats are definitely original material and style.
EdwardBlume
There's a GB for the dash from Mikey.

The floor mats are for sure after market. They remind me of the late 70s / early 80s 911 script. I had a pair in my old gray car.
mepstein
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 27 2015, 09:47 AM) *

I had a set of the floor mats and they are for sure after market. They remind me of the late 70s / early 80s 911 script. I had a pair in my old gray car.

The group buy dash is late. Early is slightly different. It's a small crack. Not really a big deal.
Bagpype
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 27 2015, 09:49 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 27 2015, 09:47 AM) *

I had a set of the floor mats and they are for sure after market. They remind me of the late 70s / early 80s 911 script. I had a pair in my old gray car.

The group buy dash is late. Early is slightly different. It's a small crack. Not really a big deal.

Yeah, I'd take original with a tiny crack over restored anyway. But I do appreciate the info!
dlkawashima
Original shift knob is hard plastic with the shift pattern in a clear window at the top of the knob. You can get an "original" one from Porsche for about $225 or a repro made by Dansk for about $30. Or of course look for a used one in the classifieds ...

IPB Image
JawjaPorsche
I know this solution to a badly worn steering wheel is not for everyone but it works for me.

The steering wheel cover costs less than $20 and is available at most auto parts stores.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.