Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When shopping for a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iwanta914-6
So when I get to the point of looking at a 914, what are some tips? I would ask if someone local could look at it for or with me, but I don't think there are too many 914 owners in MN.

I realize, a 914 in Minnesota is most likely trouble to begin with. But other than inspecting the longs, hell hole, and trunks for rust, what else should I look out for?

I wasn't planning on really looking until next spring, but one just popped up on craigslist up in Northern MN.

The car seems like a good deal. Seller of course states "no rust". No mention of motor size though I have asked him, maybe he's not sure. Says that it is a 75 though it doesn't appear to have the big bumpers, maybe replaced when the owner had some body work and new paint done a few years ago. Owner, who is 72 and has had the car since 1980, has a friend selling it for him. Owner just "wants it gone".

I'm a little nervous about posting the CL listing because it could potentially come back to bite me if it turns out that I want to buy it and someone here decides to scoop it up or turn into a bidding war.

But if that happens, so be it...

http://brainerd.craigslist.org/cto/5140734555.html

Opinions and thoughts?

Thanks!

Edit:

Seller sent me a few more pictures if interested. The "boss" already kind of shot down the idea at this point, but I'll keep trying, lol.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/kmueller44...rt=3&page=1

Cairo94507
Unless you have seen a ton more photos and received more information as well I would not move on that without a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic who knows 914's intimately. Way to much chance of getting burned regarding rust.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 27 2015, 11:17 AM) *

Unless you have seen a ton more photos and received more information as well I would not move on that without a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic who knows 914's intimately. Way to much chance of getting burned regarding rust.

Any 914 experts in Minnesota, more specifically Northern MN (staples)? I'm still new here but I think Rick (the alien?) is up in Duluth. Not sure if his services are available though, besides it's not exactly close to Duluth.

I did contact the guy selling it for the owner. He said he's been driving it around trying to give it some more exposure. Stated that the motor was rebuilt about 8 years ago and has 10k miles on the rebuild. It's spent most of the last 5 years in storage. He said that it smokes a bit when first started and when sitting at stop lights, but as he drive it he says it does this less. Not sure what that means...
Porschef
From LI the passenger door gap looks good. Take a ride and check it out, if you really want a 914 I'm sure that you have done all your due diligence regarding what to look for. Good luck. smile.gif
iwanta914-6
added a photobucket link to my OP with a few more pictures from the seller.
Chris H.
You need to go look at that. The pics don't really help much. Need to see what's under the carpeting in the trunks, but most importantly the longs and the area where the battery tray is. Most 914s look pretty good in pictures. I'd look behind those bumpers too and make sure there's no collision damage.

Andy's gonna like the wheels thumb3d.gif . Flashbaaaaack.
Big Len
Go look at it with someone.

Even if the car blows, you'll be building your experience for a future purchase.

era vulgaris
Trunks that have been painted black are usually not a good sign. Both front and rear trunks should be body color, as should the engine compartment. Flat black paint is an easy way to cover up rust, bondo, and accident damage. I would look very carefully at the metal (or lack thereof) in those trunks.

Also, those bumpers aren't original. 75 should have the big rubber bumpers. Those appear to be fiberglass aftermarket replacements. Not sure what those rear view mirrors are either.
JoeDees
I definitely agree about questioning black paint on common rust areas and also beware of over use of undercoating; I'd even take a magnet to those areas. (my PO did A LOT of work to hide rust: window screen w/ bondo, caulked aluminum, and all covered with a generous slathering of undercoating) And if it's a resto, ask to see pictures, receipts, etc.
Larmo63
The left side headlight bucket area looks dodgy…..
rhodyguy
Those pictures tell nothing. How much do you think you would be willing to pay for that car? How much do you have to spend?
Mike Bellis
I'm not sure why I like Centerlines on a 914, but I do.
Cuda911
Here's a couple threads you might want to read through during your 914 search:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=Grote+alas

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=Grote+alas

Also, I noticed that the passenger headrest seems kind of funky in the car in your post. Maybe a poor re-cover?
Big Len
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 27 2015, 08:00 PM) *

I do too and I don't know why either.
mbseto
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jul 27 2015, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 27 2015, 08:00 PM) *

I do too and I don't know why either.

It's that clean look. Matches the design of the car well.
iwanta914-6
I'm guessing "centerlines" are the wheels?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.