Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1985 Watkins Glen 6 hrs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lalee914
Hey Glenn,
Here are some photos of your car when it ran in the 6 Hrs of Watkins Glen in 1985. I will also post some photos of other cars that ran in that race.

Larry Lee
Vestal, NY
lalee914
Another one of your car at speed on the back straight. This is in the days before the bus stop.

LarryClick to view attachment
lalee914
The next few posts will be other cars that were also in the race. This is the Electrodyne 934.

Larry
lalee914
This is the Bob Aiken Coca Cola 962. As I recall, the 962s were hitting just about 200 MPH at the end of the back straight.
lalee914
Here is the BFG Mazda powered car that ran in the Camel Lights class.
lalee914
And your car is burried in this crowd fighting for position, entering turn 5
lalee914
Another of the several 962s in this race.
lalee914
Another of the GTP cars.
lalee914
I believe this 911 was running in the GTO class.
lalee914
Another GTO competitor. As I recall, this was the only Ferrari in the field.
brant
the red lobster (march) lives out in Colorado now
I saw it run last month at our vintage club.
rumble rumble... its a monster at just under 800hp
lalee914
These 2 cars were fighting for the lead for a long time. They were the 2 fastest cars in the field. I forget what chassis the Apache car was but it was Chevy powered. It blew up late in the race and the Lowenbrau 962 driven by Derek Bell and Al Holbert went on to win.

There were also a pair of V12 Jaguars in the race. They looked great and sounded better but were just a little off the pace of the Lowenbrau car. They stayed close until late in the race then both had small problems that dropped them back in the field. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of them.
Ferg
Great pics, thanks for posting beerchug.gif
lalee914
There were several Mazda RX7's in the race. They had these REALLY loud annoying rotary engines that just made an ugly sound. As I recall, they were all running mufflers which was the first time I had ever seen a race car with a muffler. Without the mufflers, they would have been unbearable.

The RX7's were in GTU along with Glenn's 914/6. As I recall, Glenn's car didn't qualify well and started in either the last row or next to last row. It moved up quickly and late in the race was running something like 3rd in class when it got tangled up with someone and ended up losing several places.
lalee914
The Lowenbrau 962 at the end of the back straight getting set up to pass the Electrodyne 934 in Turn 5. Just a little bit of flame coming out the exhaust. Exciting to watch! The ground effects GTP cars were MUCH faster than the cars in the lower classes. Interesting to see them make what appeared to be insane off line passing moves on the slower cars.
lalee914
a few more GT class competitors. The Datsun 240/260/280Zs sounded good and were pretty quick. I don't remember anything about the BMW M1. I have another photo of it in the pits during the race with the engine cover off so they had some sort of trouble.
lalee914
I think this is a 962 but could be wrong. I don't remember much about this car at all. Believe it was a DNF and was out early in the race. Does anybody know anything about this one?
lalee914
Ahhh, here is the BMW M1 in pit lane with the engine cover up. The engine clearly has seen better days.... Not a great photo but you get the picture of what happened.
URY914
The Apache car is a March.
The MOMO car is an Alba.
Elliot Cannon
So, who was Watkins and why is it called his glenn?
Cal
That Coca Cola 962 belongs to a friend of mine.....it will be racing at Rennsport in Sept.

Here's a cool video of it at Bruce Canepa's being prepared for Rennsport.

https://www.facebook.com/canepamotorsport/v...00217693347622/
carr914
QUOTE(lalee914 @ Jul 27 2015, 05:09 PM) *

This is the Bob Aiken Coca Cola 962. As I recall, the 962s were hitting just about 200 MPH at the end of the back straight.

I know they were hitting 210 in 1987!

I don't think I was there in '85, but I was definately there in '86, '87 & '88

This is me in either 86 or 88

Click to view attachment
lalee914
My original posts in this thread were supposed to be part of the thread about an old IMSA 914/6 that Glenn Stazak curently owns and races.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6064&st=280

I screwed up and didn't get these photos attached to his thread properly so now this is its own stand alone thread. Brain fade...

Here is another shot of the Coca Cola 962 in pit lane after the race. Good looking car.

I was thinking about this race again after finding these photos. I kind of recall talking to someone in the 914/6 crew in pit lane after the race. They had a good solid 3rd in class when in the last 15 minutes of the race, they hit some debris on track that knocked off one of the big oil lines to the engine and put them out. They had run enough laps to be classified but finished down the order pretty far. Their finish was not an indicator of their performance.

Larry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.