Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 914 2.0 value
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
Looking for advice.....

A Porsche mechanic that works on several friends 911's that I know recently purchased a one owner '74 914. The car has 80K miles is matching numbers and has the complete paperwork since new, manuals, window sticker, etc. The mechanics initial intent was to keep the car for himself and work on it as he had free time. He has since changed his mind because he has to many other cars and the car is now for sale. Since he's owned it he has gone through the entire car.....fuel system, brakes, suspension, electrical, major service/ tuneup, tires, etc. He has also replaced both jacking points and the battery tray due to minor rust and relocated the battery to the trunk. I've driven the car and its very tight and responsive. He's asking $20K for the car. The car is very nice but IMO it doesn't seem like it's worth $20K.....am I crazy?

Thanks
Chris H.
Is the paint original?
Cal
Additional photos....
Cal
Last photos....
Cal
I was told that it was mostly original paint.....but it looks like it's been resprayed on the exterior. There's over spray on the fender to cowl seals and around plastic circular decor piece in the door jambs ( I'm not sure what you call those things).
JeffBowlsby
I would not pay $20K for that car.
Cuda911
Looks like a nice clean car, which is hard to find, but I gotta agree with Jeff that 20k is rather steep. Sounds like that's an "I don't really want to sell it, but for the right price I will" price.
porschetub
he replaced those parts due to minor rust......no one would do that unless they were toast...sorry but i smell BS here,he replaced the battery tray......then he put the battery in the trunk...get the picture,cheers.
Ansbacher
You can get a whole lot more for a whole lot less. That is not a 20K car by any stretch of the imagination. I'm all for bolstering market prices, but fair is fair.
Hank914
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 27 2015, 10:19 PM) *

You can get a whole lot more for a whole lot less. That is not a 20K car by any stretch of the imagination. I'm all for bolstering market prices, but fair is fair.

agree.gif

Maybe not a 50% discount, but 40% off asking price, at least, IMHO.

But since he knows Porsches, he does not want to sell that car, regardless of how many he has. He just wants a fool to overpay him. Don't be that fool. See Dwight's rule.
Hank914
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jul 27 2015, 10:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 27 2015, 10:19 PM) *

agree.gif

Maybe not a 50% discount, but 40% off asking price, at least, IMHO.

But since he knows Porsches, he does not want to sell that car, regardless of how many he has. He just wants a fool to overpay him. Don't be that fool. See Dwight's rule.

The Rule:

Before I do anything, I ask myself: 'Would an idiot do that?' And if the answer is 'Yes', then I do not do that thing.
porschetub
So all in all its a nice car but really is a car worth 12k max or less,looks like the seller is trying to recoup his costs and more,but thats the reality and wouldn't think he will move much.
Funny how people fix a car then think its worth more to make it saleable.
euro911
agree.gif

It looks like it's in pretty good condition, but it's got a long way to go before becoming a $20k car - IMO ...
EdwardBlume
Original cars are very cool, but for 20k you can do better!
DRPHIL914
$10-$12k, - maybe he paid too much and is try to recoup, or just trying to make a quick$10k because he has heard that the prices are going up blink.gif
-shop around, there are some nice cars out there for way less, you could get a very nice 73 2.0 AP car for that price.
DRPHIL914
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=260011

or this one : a 2576 turbo type IV!! $18,500

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=257971
scotty b
It's obvious in those pics the hell hole is a MESS of patches barf.gif
Chris H.
The crinkled paint in the engine bay on the passenger side is a sign of possible battery acid leakage. It's on the engine tin and in the hell hole area. That needs to be fixed properly. Engine should come out and everything needs to be inspected. Then...move the battery back.

It's a nicely preserved car. Kinda like the fact that it's a bare bones 2.0. Not $20k though. If you want it,find out if he really wants to sell it as has been mentioned before. A decent 2.0 like that is about $12kish. Maybe a little more if it's better in person. Is it calling your name biggrin.gif ?
KELTY360
I agree with what's been said, putting it in the $10-12k range. I don't understand moving the battery all of about 18" to the rear and the poorly painted tins speak to a quality of workmanship level that would make me uncomfortable. I'd be concerned that this is one of those cars where the new owner keeps finding new issues under the surface.

This is a base level '74 2.0: no fogs, no console w/center gauges, black painted bumpers, steel wheels. It is likely a good starting point on the way to a great car, but for $20k you can get a great 914 2.0. The pricing being tossed around really speaks to the increase in value of these cars. Three years ago that's a $6-8000 car.
saigon71
Overall, the car looks pretty clean, but I'm curious as to why the hell hole wasn't fixed properly...20K seems a little steep.

As a point of reference, my 74 D-Jet with 147K miles, home restored car is insured for $14K. I think it's as clean as that one and has the appearance package.

era vulgaris
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 28 2015, 09:46 AM) *

The crinkled paint in the engine bay on the passenger side is a sign of possible battery acid leakage. It's on the engine tin and in the hell hole area. That needs to be fixed properly. Engine should come out and everything needs to be inspected. Then...move the battery back.

agree.gif That "metal" in the hellhole looks really lumpy and wavy. It should be straight and crisp. Probably a lot of bondo and/or poor metalwork there.
That textured paint on the engine shelf and the engine tin isn't a good sign either.

My guess is that the original battery tray and metal underneath it was toast, and rather than replace that inner fender and weld in a new tray, it was easier to move the battery and bondo up the hellhole.

I'd probably walk away from this one.
Mike Fitton
Sold my '74 2.0 15 months ago for $20k if that helps. One respray of original Alaska blue all paperwork form day 1. Sent out 2 emails and the car was sold never listed for sale. Buyer was very happy with his purchase!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=510
018]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Tom_T
In addition to all the comments above, & I'll add a battery relocation as something knocking it out of concours & into a nice DD - I always suggest that folks actually read the descriptions of the the price levels in Hagarty (or KBB, which always overstates values for newer cars btw), then look on the curve/level which the car objectively ranks at.

This is a very nice driver, could maybe win some local shows, lacks Appearance Group & Performance Group (may have sway bars?), so it's probably in the mid to high teens at best as a #2~3 IMHO, if everything else checks out okay.

EDIT - corrected link for 74 2L -
https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/...port?vbe=112558

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JawjaPorsche
The teener is jacked up by the engine bar. Is that because there is a problem with jack point near hell hole?

There is a lot of oil on top of the engine tins. Leaking somewhere up there.

Teener does have sway bars.
EdwardBlume
Wow. That ABM with tan looks great!
euro911
... and a $20k car's undercarriage should look something like this:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

happy11.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 28 2015, 11:37 AM) *

Wow. That ABM with tan looks great!

agree.gif drooley.gif

That's what I wanted if I wasn't a starving college student in 73-74 & could've bought a new one! .... or Marathon Blue over tan! wub.gif

Those color combos never showed up used when I was looking in 75. sad.gif

Hopefully this Hagarty link will go to the 74 2L, cuz my link above apparently still goes to my own 73 MY....

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/...port?vbe=112558

beerchug.gif
TT
///////
euro911
Thanks for the Hagerty's Price Guide reminder, Tom

Made me go check some other cars' values:

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/...eport?vbe=17427

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/...eport?vbe=42186

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/...eport?vbe=81713

aktion035.gif
Chris H.
Yeah that engine bay looks a lot worse on second pass...hell hole patch.

And what is this? I see what looks like a Ziebart plug but that paint might be bubbling...

Click to view attachment

If so run away.
mepstein
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 28 2015, 03:28 PM) *

I never look at Hagerty since I'm the one buying and selling, not them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.